Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Breathe Right Stips Before Posting (stitches in)

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by vp316ianey, Jul 7, 2020.

1. vp316ianey

vp316ianey Novitiate

Hi everyone! So, as stated above my pup still has his stitches in and is going on almost 3 weeks with them. Vet has me going in every 2 days now to check them but each time "they aren't ready." I was wondering if I can use breathe right strips to start to at least straighten out the ears since they are just laying on top of his head. I won't be covering any stitches.

2. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Welcome from Minnesota!

Wow it's unusual for the stitches to still be in 3 weeks after the procedure. It probably wouldn't hurt to use the breathe rights now if they're laying over the top of the head but on the other hand, it could make them flop too much since the ears aren't developed enough to support them yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Welcome from SE Alabama.

Sutures are usually 10 day... sometimes up to 14 at the base of the bell, but after that you take a chance of the knots getting embedded. How old is your pup?

4. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I would think breathe rights would support the weight. They are usually used at the end of posting when you've got good bases but the tips need a little help. Probably best to let the ears heal. But 3 weeks? Never heard of that.

5. vp316ianey

vp316ianey Novitiate

He's about 12 weeks old.

6. vp316ianey

vp316ianey Novitiate

By this I mean because the very tips of his ears are flopping inward, creating a sort of L shape on the overall ear. I'm not trying to stand the ear up.

7. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Me personally, I would just massage the ears straight upward, kind of stretching them a little.
    Are the edges scabbed? Can you post a picture of the ears?

I hope they aren't charging you every 2 days.

8. vp316ianey

vp316ianey Novitiate

They did scab over, and vet removed them once during a visit. They haven't scabbed much since then. And no, the visit to remove the stitches is free, so I haven't been charged anything other than the procedure and after care meds. I'll try to get a picture when he's calmed down later.