1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Bowie is aggressive towards cats

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by Filipe James, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Filipe James

Filipe James Jr Member

Bowie is aggressively going after cats :()

Attached Files:

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  2. Drogon

Drogon $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Are they your cats? Are they in the same house?
    Cat, squirrels, and other animals of that size are prey to a Dobermann. It will be a long process to break that prey drive, especially if they're not in the same house.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Are you looking for answers on how to stop it? If so, a few more details would be helpful. Are they your cats?
    Define 'aggressively' please. I say that because it's a description thrown around way too much. What is described as aggressive is often just the way dobies play. Some examples of what you are talking about would be helpful.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Yes, define aggressive. Playful behavior can be misconstrued as aggressive.

We have three inside cats.

It was/is a very long process for me.

I chased Ragnar every minute, every day for months trying to keep him off and away from our cats. Finally, at 10 months, he has settled down somewhat. But if one streaks by him at a run? It is on!!

These Dobermans have such a high prey drive and at the same time they are just puppies reacting on instincts....want to play with cat, cat runs, time to chase and have fun. Cat won’t stop? Well, I will bark and growl to get it’s attention....

Positive reinforcement seemed to do nothing but wear my ass out. Just did not work. Raising my voice, swatting at him and putting in crate did not immediately work.

Looking back at it now, I really think it’s kinda like biting and nipping. It’s a behavior that you just have to constantly deal with on a daily basis until they finally get used to it and learn that it’s not acceptable. But you have to be consistent and firm. Can’t tell them no and then five mins later allow them to kinda be rough with the cat. With us, it was a behavior that had to be stopped, period. Then when he demonstrated the ability to completely stop/ignore, I slowly allowed him to do what I deemed acceptable behavior.

In saying that, after Ragnar became “properly” ECollar trained, I was able to correct him immediately through the ECollar. This significantly eased my burden of always having to get up and catch him in the act. But, he has to know what he is doing wrong and it really needs to be immediate on the undesirable behavior.

Now, most of the time, he just kinda watches them stroll on by but if one gets crazy and streaks through the house?? Yup, there goes Ragnar....

@AresMyDobie may chime in. She trained hers to sleep with rabbits.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Regalis

Regalis Notable member

On top of what others have said - I think a lot of it just depends on the dog, age, etc.

My mom has two dogs. Neither raised with cats. One is the sweetest most lovey dovey dog EVER. She can be with kittens, the tiniest baby chicks ... You name it. The other? She kills ANY animal smaller than her, including stray cats. She got one of the chickens out of it's nesting box. It's all instincts for her. She was bred to hunt and that's exactly what she does.

It's a LOT easier to break this type of behaivor when the dog is little. It's not always possible with an adult. I would never trust my mom's one dog around a cat, for instance. It's simply not worth the risk. To me, it's akin to expecting a snake to befriend a rat. Sometimes you just can't overrule nature and some dogs will always view cats as prey (some, not all).

How old is Bowie? How long have the cats been around? Was Bowie raised with cats?

• Like Like x 1
  6. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

I may add, it also depends on the cat in some cases. If the cat stands up for itself, Rubie leaves it. If it runs and hides, she'll pursue because then it's a game for her.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Lol I can honestly just say that Ares is special lol I wouldn’t allow my rabbit around my girls especially Boo. Ares can go from a bite work machine to a complete teddy bear, that’s just how he is. I think it’s a bond and respect thing with him and me. I accept the bunny so he does as well. I accept my horse and he does as well. I say the cat is ok and he complies.
    With Boo on the other hand she would never accept the rabbit I could probably get it close to her without her doing anything but it would be very hard on her.
    I don’t know what Athena would do lol my best guess is nose poke.
    Deegan just follows it around and doesn’t harm him at all.

Anyways Boo my gsd has some real bad issues with small animals. I have a small dog and a small cat. How I tamed the behavior was by tethering and giving proper corrections, learning down stays to a T. And listening to my direction. She and the cat and the rabbit can all be in the same room supervision required but she doesn’t dart after them like she did when I first got her.

And just for giggles here’s my 90 pound fully matured, intact, protection working dog with my one pound bunny.
    0BAEF3F4-C848-4390-BBD1-12FDB143D393.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1