Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Board and Train

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Aryathedoberman, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Aryathedoberman

Aryathedoberman New Member

If you have sent your dog to a board and train
    How was your experience?
    How long did they go?

I’ve been looking into it as a possibility for my girl when she’s a bit older if we aren’t making the progress I’d like (I put as much time into it as I am able but I wish it was more)

Is there any advice you’d offer?
    Any questions to be sure to ask?

I of course will thoroughly vet the training facility make sure I can make physical visits/ have updates. Should I decide to go forward with a board and train.

Just would love to hear from people who HAVE done it before :)

2. crypticintent

crypticintent Hot Topics Subscriber

Doberbeasts are so Velcro and dedicated to their people that I would be worried about board and train with them. Combine that with the intelligence then compound it with if they no longer see you as the authority figure upon coming back, may be even worse.

3. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

I know there are several members who have done board and train. Do a search on the site and try tagging several members preferably from the more current posts.

4. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I personally have never done it. I can see where it could be helpful to get things under control and then you take it from there.
    Life happens so I don't think I would rule it out as an option.
    Just some questions I would ask is what training technique(s) do they use. Experience with dominate breeds? If your girl is still in posts, what experience do they have in posting? What exposure is there to other dogs? How is the transition from the facility to home handled?
    That's just a start.....I could go on and on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

• Like Like x 1
  6. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

I did a board and train with my dog. It was worth it. They set up a foundation that I was able to build on. The place I used, trained police dogs and I had been going to them for training already so it worked out well. I mainly did it because I was returning to work after 6 months of being off and I had a vacation planned. They charged me boarding prices for a board and train. So it was a win/win. As I was going to be boarding for over a week.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  7. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

We didn’t but it’s interesting that you would want to send her later on instead of early on. That said, our Doberman was a major pest of a puppy and we didn’t know what we were doing, so a board and train surely would have eased the marital strain this dog caused :rofl: I did look into prices well after the fact and they seemed rather high to me because a lot of what they were going to teach, he already knew - foundation stuff. Looking back now, had we understood marking correct behavior and release commands better, we would have had a better handle on things. So, for you, do you have much dog training experience? If not, then look into it so you won’t be so frustrated and stressed out by living with a Dober Donkey, but I would do it sooner rather than later. A lot of things require having a strong relationship with your dog, so there will be no substitute for that even with a board and train. If you do know how to train, then they are really smart dogs and you could teach them yourself. For our next Doberman, that little psycho puppy won’t cause as much grief as this one did ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

We did it at 7.5months. Two weeks of Basic obedience and ECollar training.

At the time I felt like it was a good idea and needed. Did he come back trained? Kinda. To be honest, I feel like he came back more subdued and in question. Did it help? Yes it did, but it took me about 3months to get him to rebond with me and feel like he was confident with me being trustworthy.

Would I do it again knowing and having the experience I have now? No, I would not.

All one really needs is to read this site back to front, ask questions on issues and be patient, consistent and persistent. If one does this, then in time it will all come together. It just takes a lot of time and patience.

That was the thing. I work full time, wife works full time and kids are in school. I really did not expect the full bore Doberman puppy attack of zoomies, nipping, biting and relentless energy 24hrs a day. I was trying to save face with my wife and kids by establishing some kind of control that I did not have the time to establish.

Even after the room/board, it takes a shitload of time to continue the training in order to establish consistency and order in the household.

Again, it just takes a lot of time, training and patience.

Ragnar is good to go now and soo much a part of our family that our girls consider him a brother. His care is considered before all others.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Dogs4Life

Dogs4Life Member

Negative on my end...not sure I could trust anyone but family with my fur babies lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

That's interesting and my major concern (besides missing the crap out of him!) 3 months to bond again? Nope, never gonna happen here.