• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Bloodlines To Be Avoided

R

Rosa

@Ravenbird Since you mentioned this, I thought you would be the perfect person to ask. You mentioned European Dobermans that dropped dead suddenly at a young age. I was trying to research these things unsuccessfully. What Dobermans, bloodlines, or kennels should I keep an eye out for when I'm looking at the pedigrees of breeders?

Oh, would you recommend Talane Dobermans to someone that wanted a dog with both excellent conformation and working sport ability?

You are on FB, go to a group called "Dobermann, DCM & More: Uncensored Info". I actually am not terribly fond of this group, they argue a lot, say the health issues can be improved, but then they offer no answers. Many are owners who buy a puppy without doing homework, then are shocked that their puppy isn't healthy. But they do offer bloodlines and pedigrees now & then, and I'm terribly saddened by the dogs that are diagnosed at very young ages (not even 5). It's mostly people & dogs in European countries, and not so many American or Am/Euro cross dogs. Like most other things, I read, absorb the info, research and move on. I've learned lots in the past few years and now I'm leaning toward longevity in the pedigree over "clear" DCM genes. Hard to do since so few people report age & cause of death. This site - mostly Russian - offers a lot with COD and ages. Pedigrees of dobermanns

I do highly recommend Talane, she is dedicated to health testing & proving working abilities, but a small breeder. She had 2 litters last year from her two bitches, so she may not have any more for another year or more. If you are going off to college next year, (I can't recall your plans you mentioned one time) you would have your hands full. Don't let puppy fever get to you before you get the right environment! I thought I could do a lot of training on my own, but we'd have done much better with good local working club training.

You are on FB, go to a group called "Dobermann, DCM & More: Uncensored Info". I actually am not terribly fond of this group, they argue a lot, say the health issues can be improved, but then they offer no answers. Many are owners who buy a puppy without doing homework, then are shocked that their puppy isn't healthy. But they do offer bloodlines and pedigrees now & then, and I'm terribly saddened by the dogs that are diagnosed at very young ages (not even 5). It's mostly people & dogs in European countries, and not so many American or Am/Euro cross dogs. Like most other things, I read, absorb the info, research and move on. I've learned lots in the past few years and now I'm leaning toward longevity in the pedigree over "clear" DCM genes. Hard to do since so few people report age & cause of death. This site - mostly Russian - offers a lot with COD and ages. Pedigrees of dobermanns
I do highly recommend Talane, she is dedicated to health testing & proving working abilities, but a small breeder. She had 2 litters last year from her two bitches, so she may not have any more for another year or more. If you are going off to college next year, (I can't recall your plans you mentioned one time) you would have your hands full. Don't let puppy fever get to you before you get the right environment! I thought I could do a lot of training on my own, but we'd have done much better with good local working club training.
Thank you! I have seen longevity certificates before, but I never knew exactly what they are for.

As for a clear explanations of my plans so that I can get the best advice possible. At this point, I intend to leave home after I graduate from high school (I will actually have the equivilant of the college credit of one year of college, but I don't know if it will do me any good as I don't intend to go to that college). I will also have at least 3 TEFL certifications at that point (I have the first and am almost done with the other two now). So, goal number one is: go to the US and stay with my brother for a while so he can help me figure out everything I need, start working, and basically figure out what I need to accomplish my ultimate goal. Schools in Brazil start in February (the new school year as far as I know), so I would have probably 9 months to get everything figured out. Right now, Shylah is priority over getting a new puppy. I was asking mainly for a friend, although I will keep her in mind. Once in Brazil, I plan to spend the first year or two in a seminary where I can get the layout of the land better (visit colleges, see what job options there are and degree required, although I should already be teaching online). Once there...yeah, BA first, and I will probably get at least a MA at some point after that. Due to my experience with less than perfect environments and the challenges they place upon a dog and dog training, I have no intention of getting a puppy until I am sure that I can properly care for and train it. That means: adequate space, enough time, and the proper training facility (and a decent vet of course) before getting a new puppy. I simply don't trust leaving Shylah behind as everything with her as caused her to need more specialized care. Sometimes I wonder if I will ever have time for a new puppy.

Thanks again!

I just had a thought...Talane is in Kansas right? That is very nice as that will probably be where I stay while in the US.

Sounds like you definitely are a long ways from getting a new puppy! And Shylah will keep you busy enough between now & then. Kansas and close-by Missouri (@Doberman Gang's club/training is there I believe) has lots of opportunities to see actual working clubs and trials within driving distance, so if you stay in Kansas for a while you will be able to participate in the working dog world. Even if Shylah doesn't come with you, I'm guessing most clubs would let you come to observe and learn.

I was asking mainly for a friend, although I will keep her in mind
As you know, working bred dogs really take a lot of work - I'm assuming your friend is dedicated to training and has some experience if you are helping her in a search for working line dogs.

Sounds like you definitely are a long ways from getting a new puppy! And Shylah will keep you busy enough between now & then. Kansas and close-by Missouri (@Doberman Gang's club/training is there I believe) has lots of opportunities to see actual working clubs and trials within driving distance, so if you stay in Kansas for a while you will be able to participate in the working dog world. Even if Shylah doesn't come with you, I'm guessing most clubs would let you come to observe and learn.

As you know, working bred dogs really take a lot of work - I'm assuming your friend is dedicated to training and has some experience if you are helping her in a search for working line dogs.
Yes, that is what I was hoping to discover.

Well, that is the thing about this particular friend. He is very "into" dogs and willing to learn. He has a Bernese Mt. Dog and a St. Bernard, and he is, due to my bad influence, really wanting to get a working (guarding dog breed). I have discussed the matter with him as I think he should start with something a little lighter, but if he is determined, I want to send him to the right breeders that can help him make the best decisions possible. I think I have him partially convinced, although he wants a very driven dog. I've sent him some material so he can look at the various areas of training (performance and working sports), but I will say this, he will spend the time necessary to train his dog. Oh, his Bernese has some fear-aggression problems that has caused him to learn a thing or two about guarding (if I can use that term) dogs. He will probably appear here eventually, although he may start at another chat group I'm a part of first. I don't know which will come first, but I expect he will join both.

Originally, I thought the time between finishing high school and starting college would give me time to get a good foundation in on a puppy, but nine months with Shylah, and I know that nothing is ever smooth, no matter how easy it looks at the beginning. She has a long way to go to being both healthy and actually well-trained. So yeah, I've gotten over the "get a puppy as soon as possible" idea.

Back