• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Blood in stool

Bring a fecal in tomorrow and hopefully you get some answers, I’ll check in tomorrow and see if there is an update, all the best
In addition to the original fecal that has been done, do you think a second one should be done now? I brought in a sample of the bloody stool on Saturday when this started. His stools now are not showing any blood (though they are large for how little we are feeding him).
The last pic I posted was of his poop from yesterday (Monday) afternoon.

I can certainly bring in another sample. But I would want to provide some direction to the vet. What is it that I should suggest he look for?

Hemmoroids was also suggested but I would think the rectal exam would have uncovered that. I'll ask about that as well when I talk to the vet today.

What is it that I should suggest he look for?
Giardia is difficult to find on a slide, especially if the one looking has not seen it frequently enough to identify it. Also the oocysts are not always present at the time of the FF. They shed out at different times so it may be missed.

Hmm. My gut feeling is that hemmoroids would not produce such a high volume of blood; but then again I don't know much on medical.

Fecal screens are pretty inexpensive, aren't they? I'd say another one sounds like a good idea at this point.

Boy, I hope Oji never needs a rectal exam. They would for sure have to sedate him pretty heavily. He is known around that office.

Boy, I hope Oji never needs a rectal exam. They would for sure have to sedate him pretty heavily. He is known around that office.
Tad has Oji had a bad experience with the vet that makes him so uneasy when there?
Sometimes I wonder about Bogie with the look he gets on his face when Doc is examining him. His eyes will dilate and he get an intense facial expression but has never growled or done anything. After the exam is over he gets all wiggly butt and tries to lick Doc and then wants to play. Bacall is the same.

:sign1:....who ever docked Graces tail did it too short...it's only about 1 1/2 inches and doesn't cover much and she is sensitive to touch, I'm the only one she trusts and that's with her looking back to make sure I don't touch her back door... I now rub her ears when she's in with the Vet.

Giardia is difficult to find on a slide, especially if the one looking has not seen it frequently enough to identify it. Also the oocysts are not always present at the time of the FF. They shed out at different times so it may be missed.
The original fecal - just looked at the bill now - says "fecal ova, parasite, giardia". The doc did say that the giardia results are only 80% reliable. The giardia symptoms are quite substantial and Kaiser doesn't have most of them. Had we not started the metro right away, would he continue to have diarrhea, I don't know. If he did then I'd be more compelled to believe it's that. His energy level hasn't changed. Isn't that a major indicator? If giardia is episodic then this may come back over the next 2-6 weeks. Great.

Yes to both lol.

They did not see worms, no parasites, no giardia. He thinks Kaiser must have eaten something bad. All I can think is that he got contaminated from his own poop when he tried to get his mouth onto the egg just 1 hour prior to the first pooping.
Good to hear that!! I just realize when my Rocky is sick i w m worry much then when my kids sick, because i don't know how to help him!!! I m glad Kaiser feel better!

Hmm. My gut feeling is that hemmoroids would not produce such a high volume of blood; but then again I don't know much on medical.

Fecal screens are pretty inexpensive, aren't they? I'd say another one sounds like a good idea at this point.

I agree. This was too much blood for hemmoroids but I don't know much about them to say for sure. It's $80 and it'd be better to know that something actually caused it. Im still surprised it wasn't worms to be honest. It would have been such an easy answer.

Good to hear that!! I just realize when my Rocky is sick i w m worry much then when my kids sick, because i don't know how to help him!!! I m glad Kaiser feel better!
Thank you! I always joke with my friends who have kids that the best part about pets vs kids is that they don't talk back lol, but when they're sick, I really wish they could tell me. It's such a guessing game it seems.

My two were wide open with giardia playing hard. Only signs were the awful gas and pudding stools. Stress, playing hard, excitement can cause bleeding.
Both mine went through the bloody stools and at the moment Bacall is experiencing bloody mucous as well after her free range on the corned beef. Bless her heart she woke me up about 4 times to go out last night. I have been giving her vitalyte and she is doing well. It certainly hasn’t slowed her down from playing with Bogie. Was sure I would be taking her with me to the clinic to be treated for pancreatitis symptoms.

Tad has Oji had a bad experience with the vet that makes him so uneasy when there?
Hello? They tried to stick something up his butt! :eek: :lmao: :jk:
Seriously though, I'm glad you asked that. No, no bad experiences there (well, unusual ones anyway). I think Oji is just naturally a Dobe that does not like to be manipulated. Actually, he is surprisingly good about teeth brushing and scaling and decent about baths really. But you all know how he is with nail trimming – even though I introduced it to him young and gently.
After the last visit when the vet tried to take his temperature, I had to burst into the room and found the female vet tech on her back with Oji pulling toward her and the other tech pulling him back by the leash. I thought they were gonna call the cops and the SPCA on us.

I had to burst into the room and found the female vet tech on her back with Oji pulling toward her and the other tech pulling him back by the leash
Oh crap, that is scary! I hate that he gets so stressed and defensive while at the vet. Some dogs just won’t tolerate being handled in that environment. Was he that way when you had to board him?

After the last visit when the vet tried to take his temperature, I had to burst into the room and found the female vet tech on her back with Oji pulling toward her and the other tech pulling him back by the leash. I thought they were gonna call the cops and the SPCA on us.
It's not really funny, but this incident did make me laugh because we're in the same sort of boat. I got to experience my own psycho cat at the vet a few weeks back. I have never been present for her vet visits. I am surprised she did not lose her voice after all that screaming :woot2:

My two were wide open with giardia playing hard. Only signs were the awful gas and pudding stools. Stress, playing hard, excitement can cause bleeding.
Both mine went through the bloody stools and at the moment Bacall is experiencing bloody mucous as well after her free range on the corned beef. Bless her heart she woke me up about 4 times to go out last night. I have been giving her vitalyte and she is doing well. It certainly hasn’t slowed her down from playing with Bogie. Was sure I would be taking her with me to the clinic to be treated for pancreatitis symptoms.
Hopefully she will just poop it all out and be ok. Can't believe she ate the whole pot. But ya, dogs don't think about portion control do they.

I would rather deal with a 100lb Rottie than a 10lb cat. They have the ability to torpedo on you and rip you to shreds in the process. I love our ISO container for these crazy demon cats. :rofl:
It's funny and I agree! I did not stay in the room for the full experience haha. It made me realize that I would rather be locked in a crate with Kaiser than stuck in a room with her. The main difference in their upbringing - exposure to people and the outdoors. Being an indoor cat she does not handle environmental changes well.

Being an indoor cat she does not handle environmental changes well.
What breed of cat is she? I have one a ‘Tortie’ that has never wanted to be outside and will howl when I put her in the crate. At the vet though she is perfect. Probably frozen in fear but she doesn’t act out. I got her at 4wks. and will handle her a lot to check her over. I thought moving her to a different house for the hurricane would totally traumatize her but she rolled with it pretty well. She was glad to get home, however she hid for about 2 wks. Lol I have only had her to the vet 3 times since she is strictly indoors and has been healthy. Only vaccinated her twice.

Back