Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Bikejoring All Terrain Fat Tire Bikes

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by Tropicalbri's, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

IMG_7847.JPG IMG_7846.JPG IMG_7845.JPG I just bought a Fat Tire Sand and All Terrain bike so I can safely bike the dogs. Has 8 speeds, gears are encased to prevent slippage. Has lots of extras. It will give the dogs more resistance so I won't be speeding down the road with possibility of a crash. Am so excited to start training them on it.
    Does anyone have experience with these?

• Like Like x 7
  2. Drogon

Drogon $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

I don't but a friend of mine does and absolutely loves it. His job takes him all over the country and he takes his bike. He rides through some wicked stuff in the rocky mountains.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. Tropicalbri's

My husband said he was watching me bike Bogie on my other bike as I went by the house and said it looked like I was going at least 10mph over the speed limit. He said it scared him with me flying by yelling slow to Bogie. He said I HAVE to get a helmet immediately and of course knee pads. I agree with him. It's a rush for sure.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Whoa, they are the mother of all tyres...wow!!

Andrew did bike with Kobi but he didn't have monster tyres like those bad boys. They look awesome! You've even got a cute basket. Lol

I'll agree with the helmet and pads, you can't be too careful.

Let us know how you get on :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

How do you attach the dogs? Having been through a bike crash or several... The hands and elbows take the worst of the road rash. Bike gloves are #2 equipment to a helmet. Looks like a good bike for your terrain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tropicalbri's

With the bike tow leash. Instead of hooking to their collar, I will be using a harness so it won't affect the neck. I have knee pads, elbow pads on the list with helmet. It would be extremely difficult for them to pull me over with bike tow leash as it mounts to rear frame.
    The real Bikejoring (originated in Maine) riders wear a harness on their chest and attach the dog's lead to their harness which does cause some crashes. They allow the dog to run where ever they want including to the side. I do not wish to have that experience at all. I like that the bike will have great traction in rain and the off road coral rock trails.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Drogon

Drogon $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Do you happen to know the name of the sport where a person and their dog run 'cross country'? I saw it on TV a couple of times. What I thought was cool was the dogs were free to run anywhere but mostly stayed within 20 yards of their handler except for the finish line. Once the dogs saw the finish line they all did an all out sprint for the line. The winner was determined by the person's time and the dog's time somehow.

8. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Yeah, looks like what they call a "Fat Bike." Good idea for Bikejouring with a strong, fast dog!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kay Shaw

Kay Shaw Hot Topics Subscriber

What kind of harness is recommended? Some people say a regular harness works fine but my friend who bikes with her GSD and Doberman actually uses a sled dog harness. She also uses sledding commands to get them to turn, stop, slow down, etc.

10. Kay Shaw

Kay Shaw Hot Topics Subscriber

That sport is called Canicross

• Like Like x 1
  11. Oh Little Oji

When I lived in MN, I had an acquaintance who did dog sledding make me a sledding harness. It's good for pulling me on a bike.

12. Tropicalbri's

ED0AC51E-132B-4720-B606-C6098D634AB2.jpeg

13. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

Now that looks like a serious bike and great for the rough stuff and sand for sure. I was going to ask if it needed more energy to ride on sealed surfaces, but I reckon it does and it wouldn't matter with Dobie power! I have never been game to have Jazz on leash while riding my bike as I am quite capable of falling off without any help at all! :rofl: (Rough ground and I'm a clutz!) Will have to research those bike attachments so we can ride in more populated areas though.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tropicalbri's

Not really. It’s an aluminum frame so it looks much heavier than it is. Of course I can’t do any pedaling because Bogie pulls me up to speeds of 27.6mph. He is a fast beast that loves running! I give slow commands and use gee and haw for turning right and left. Bogie has learned when I shift and lean in the direction I want him to go he does it. He picked up on that body language along with verbal commands quickly.
    I have to use booties on him when we bike, especially on rough and uneven terrain. He sees me get his boots and harness and my helmet and will run and sit by the bike anxiously waiting. Next to diving and swimming, biking is his favorite.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tropicalbri's

You will get the hang of it quickly and the balance is easy with the bike tow lead. Start slow and as Jazz gets used to riding next to you then you can let her open up and pull you. It’s great resistance training for her. Just start with the commands you want to use for slow, step up speed, turn left, right or stopping completely. I never stop abruptly, I usually slow the pace to give them time adjust and slow down the heart rate. Sort of like hot walking a horse after a race.

16. Oh Little Oji

• Like Like x 2
  17. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

This is something I have not tried, with Dobermans lol.
    Maxie got a few walks with bikes.

My wife’s dad walked his Akita every single day while riding a Schwinn Beach cruiser around their neighborhood in Anaheim and along the Santa Ana river trails.
    Imagine a guy in his 70s with a giant smile on a bike with 99lbs of pinto Akita coming at you at close to 20mph :D

• Like Like x 2
  18. Tropicalbri's

That’s what it was designed for. I figured it would be the safest to use for the twins to prevent stress on their necks and chest.

• Like Like x 2