1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Bickerstaff Dobermans. Beware

Discussion in 'Doberman Breeders' started by Dobilover, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Dobilover

Dobilover Novitiate

Please don't ever by a Doberman from this man. He produces very, very sick dogs. He had liver failure passed down from his parents. His dog Rusty was over 150 pounds and I just found out there were genetic abnormalies in the line. It's very heart breaking I loved my Dobi so much and he was only 5 years old. I am devasted my life will never be the same. I don't want anyone else to go through watch I've gone through.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

What happened ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I am so sorry this happened to you, especially for the loss of your boy.:(:sorrow:
    It sickens everytime I see a greeder like this and I thank you for your warning. I personally think it is a good idea that you share your experience, it may help someone else avoid buying from him.
    I took a look at his website and have to say it disgusted me. :sick::rp:
    While even buying a pup from a reputable breeder things can still go wrong at least you know you are buying from someone that is trying to better the breed.
    Again, I am sorry for your loss and hope you stick around so that when you are ready to love a again you will be armed with the education that will help you find the perfect pup.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Drogon

Drogon $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

A red flag on their own website

At Bickerstaff Dobermans we have maintained the old fashion Doberman Pinscher. This means they carry a huge bone structure and grow to out weigh most Dobermans seen today. Our old fashion Dobermans are powerful and intelligent dogs. Our females have grown between 28 and 30 inches and have weighed well over 100lbs. Similarly, our males have grown up to 32 inches and have weighed up to 145lbs! This can be compared to the average Doberman males which are typically only 75-100lbs and 65-75lbs for females. Extra Large, Top Quality AKC Doberman Pinschers are the pride of Bickerstaff Dobermans.

Amazing they tout AKC but produce dogs out of standard.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( It makes me so mad when people like that breed and don't care a bit about longevity or the betterment of the breed. It's nothing but heartbreak for everyone involved.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. bomary

bomary Hot Topics Subscriber

Wow. I am so incredibly sorry. This makes me so sad and also angry. I hate that you went through this, and I appreciate that you shared your experience. Bless your heart, and you and your Dobe are in my thoughts. Ugh...this man has no business with dogs. I wonder how many hearts he has been responsible for breaking..:(

• Like Like x 1
  7. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I'm very sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your experience. They definitely do not produce top quality dogs. Bigger isn't better I wish these greeders would stop making that a selling point:( it's unhealthy for this breed to be oversized. Very sorry you had to go through this.

8. Liberty & Justice

Liberty & Justice Formerly Sophia's Justice Hot Topics Subscriber

Tragic indeed, and I do feel terrible for your loss. Reasons for forums like this one exist for reasons of your original post. Research, research, research !!! If you want a big dog, get a great dane, not a Doberman. Hopefully word spreads like wildfire and he won't be able to breed again. HOPEFULLY !!! But again, I'm sorry for your loss !

• Like Like x 1
  9. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Sheesh. They claim to breed Dobes like the "old fashioned" ??

Dobermanns were quite small in the early days compared to what is the accepted standard of modern times. Small and spindly looking. This guy's got his facts way out of whack.

My sympathies to you on your experience. Hang in there, and thanks for sharing the information.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. FredC

FredC Guest

I think they possibly meant Dobermans from the 70s. Back when they routinely advertised oversized and other such gimmicks. That also was a time where it was common to breed a Doberman with a Great Dane or Rottweiler to achieve the mythical Warlocks and King Dobermans.

At any rate they obviously don't seem to know much about Dobermans, particularly the standard and even history might be beyond their comprehension.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
  11. JackieLund

JackieLund Jr Member

Sorry for your loss @Dobilover :(

12. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Looking at the "celebrity list" it seems (if any of it is true) that they have been at this a while.While there are many current main stream celebs some are from yesteryear
    Jimmy Stewert
    Frank Sinatra
    Elizibeth Taylor

• Like Like x 1
  13. PandoraB

PandoraB Hot Topics Subscriber

So sorry for your loss. :sorrow:

I can't believe some of the stuff on that website! Weight up to 145 lbs?! No health information. No pedigree information. "World renowned training" by some unnamed trainer before you get your pup because it's "imparative" for the dog to be off leash. Wow. Just Wow. :shock:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sienna2008

Sienna2008 Novitiate

I have a Doberman that I also got from Bickerstaff Dobermans and her father is Rusty. She has been an incredible dog and very healthy. She is now 11 and ailing, but not due to the line. She suffered a back injury 4 years ago and it is affecting her now that she is getting older. Although, I am sorry about the loss of your dog, it is important to understand that bashing them because your dog died after 5 years shows ignorance on your part. You’re causing damage to the reputation of a business when you draw conclusions and blame them and their line for your dog getting sick after 5 years. Buying a pet is a risk and while it would be understandable to question the line after a few months or even a year, five years later is not the fault of their line. I would buy another doberman from bickerstaff Dobermans and would recommend them. Again I am sorry for your loss, but bashing them for losing a five year old dog is not right.

15. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

You do realize this thread is over 2 years old.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Wonder if they are still around?

17. MischasMomma

MischasMomma Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

You do realize that if there were genetic abnormalities in the lines, that means it was passed down and could have been avoided? That means the sire and dam should NOT have been bred, had the "breeder" done appropriate testing... Or if they did test, they turned a blind eye to something that meant that particular dog(s) should not have been bred? You do realize, a female over 100 lbs and a male pushing 145 is WAY out of standard, and this "breeder" is NOT in it to benefit the breed. This is NOT a reputable breeder in any way shape or form. You got lucky, I'm so happy your girl is still with you and I hope you have plenty more time with her! But dont put a shit breeder on a pedestal because you got lucky.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. MischasMomma

MischasMomma Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Also to note- I didnt know my breeder was shitty until after I got Mischa. Love her to bits, and the lady I purchased her from is a very sweet woman. I would never say anything bad about her, but I learned from my mistake, I would not recommend her as a breeder to anyone, and I would not buy another puppy from her.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  19. Madame

Madame Novitiate

Sorry for your loss especially after 5 years. However I had a 2 wonderful dobermans from Bickerstaff dobermans. The male was a little large (tall) but never weighed more than 100lbs was related to Rusty. The female was standard height, never weighed more than 75lbs. She was perfect! She lived almost 12 years. Male is with my ex. I have recommended Bickerstaff dobermans to several people all have been happy. Breeding is a natural science that is not perfect.

Attached Files:

20. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Don’t believe you......

To quote what Drogon found on their website in 2016:

At Bickerstaff Dobermans we have maintained the old fashion Doberman Pinscher. This means they carry a huge bone structure and grow to out weigh most Dobermans seen today. Our old fashion Dobermans are powerful and intelligent dogs. Our females have grown between 28 and 30 inches and have weighed well over 100lbs. Similarly, our males have grown up to 32 inches and have weighed up to 145lbs! This can be compared to the average Doberman males which are typically only 75-100lbs and 65-75lbs for females. Extra Large, Top Quality AKC Doberman Pinschers are the pride of Bickerstaff Dobermans.”

Pure signs of an unethical breeder breeding for money and prestige, not for the well being of the breed.

• Agree Agree x 4