BH, temperament test

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
BH is more of a temperament test than an obedience test. There's the obedience, yes. Healing, left turn, right turn, long down, group figure 8. We work on that because it's a pattern and we want it to look pretty. Not mentioned much is the traffic test: bicycles, jogger, a car honking, dog tied out and a neutral dog walked by, and the judges choice of "crowd" test. When I did my BH, the crowd was about 10 people, judge put them in a tight, shoulder to shoulder moving group with you & your dog in the middle. This tests the dogs temperament - can it handle pressure of all these strangers. No matter what kind of bad ass dog you have training bite work, this is important! Real life happens, like today at a city park 4th of July gathering, probably 30 - 50 vender booths, food, live music etc etc. several thousand people crammed into a city block size park. Shoulder to shoulder, us in the middle.

Obviously not happy go lucky, Labrador style. She isn't happy when she can't be in some kind of control, she understands that she cannot bark away a crowd this size and she understands that there is nothing to do but go along with the program. I never touched the e-collar remote, that was on for extra insurance in case of an unforeseen incident. We did feed lots of food throughout the day and she did a paws on counter at one of the booths, thinking it might be like Tractor Supply. Friended right up with the folks in that booth (there was no food), I have no idea why. 😅

It’s amazing when you get to see their progress in a different environment. Reminds me of when we took Kaiser to an outdoor event with pet related vendors. It was full of people and pets and there were tons of vendors with food samples for the dogs. I thought we’d only last 20 minutes but we were there for hours! I was so proud and it felt like an accomplishment that we all survived the experience lol.

Back