Beware Loose Dogs

Two Dobes

Hot Topics Subscriber
Meet Duke...

We had changed paths earlier in our walk because saw Duke was OFF LEASH but of course we got to our house right when they did.

Duke it the dog who runs through the intersection at the top left, I sneak into the yard on the bottom right, Moose acts as a buffer.

How dumb. Dumb dumb dumb.

GREAT VIDEO!!!! Makes me INSANE!!!! People have no respect...thinking "Oh, he's friendly..." Excuse me! I am not!!!;)

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
WONDERFUL! Where do you live? Love to know who she is...trainer I mean!

Here's her website. Like most people these days, the website is for a base, and she does more day to day stuff on FB. We are in the SW area of New Mexico, but you can follow her on FB - she shares articles of like-minded trainers on a pretty regular basis. When I met her Asha was about 7 - 8 months old - a little over a year ago. She's been a tremendous help & taught me a lot about using the e-collar (getting results with much lower stems for one).

AnnV

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
The other day I was biking with Bedja and a little 'sausage' dog ran across the street to us. The dog seemed curious and clueless, just wanting to have a sniff. Good thing no car swept by at that moment. The owner, a woman with a child stroller said OMG, OMG, OMG obviously thinking her dog was going to get seriously hurt or possibly killed by a vicious Doberman. She seemed so scared , I had to reassure her and let her know Bedja is friendly and wont hurt her dog, which is true.
I didn't realize before we got ours how scared some people are of Dobermans. I had stopped the bike and held Bedja on shorter leash, he was interested but stayed calm and the owner apologized while picking up her dog.
Loose dogs have run up to us a few times and we have so far been lucky nothing bad has happened. I pray I will never have to break up a dog fight.

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
The other day I was biking with Bedja and a little 'sausage' dog ran across the street to us. The dog seemed curious and clueless, just wanting to have a sniff. Good thing no car swept by at that moment. The owner, a woman with a child stroller said OMG, OMG, OMG obviously thinking her dog was going to get seriously hurt or possibly killed by a vicious Doberman. She seemed so scared , I had to reassure her and let her know Bedja is friendly and wont hurt her dog, which is true.
I didn't realize before we got ours how scared some people are of Dobermans. I had stopped the bike and held Bedja on shorter leash, he was interested but stayed calm and the owner apologized while picking up her dog.
Loose dogs have run up to us a few times and we have so far been lucky nothing bad has happened. I pray I will never have to break up a dog fight.
All's well that ends well, so they say! I just wish that more people were responsible for keeping their dogs by their side!

jazzies mum

Hot Topics Subscriber
Loose dogs is still my pet hate! If they are friendly that's not so bad but twice in the last week I have had potentially dangerous dogs run out from their homes and accost Jazz. Both times Jazz was off leash and she stayed quiet and submissive while the other dog stalked all around with hackles up and the owner tried to get their dog to return to them.

So here is the thing. If I call Jazz to come to me she will, but that will cause the other dog to intensify it's bullying, so I have just been quietly watching and letting them do their dog communication without outside excitement. The other dog does something aggressive and Jazz screams at which time they seem to be content to be called off by their owners. If Jazz is on leash the aggressive dog is much more persistent! Not sure but maybe we humans can make things worse sometimes?

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
Loose dogs is still my pet hate! If they are friendly that's not so bad but twice in the last week I have had potentially dangerous dogs run out from their homes and accost Jazz. Both times Jazz was off leash and she stayed quiet and submissive while the other dog stalked all around with hackles up and the owner tried to get their dog to return to them.

So here is the thing. If I call Jazz to come to me she will, but that will cause the other dog to intensify it's bullying, so I have just been quietly watching and letting them do their dog communication without outside excitement. The other dog does something aggressive and Jazz screams at which time they seem to be content to be called off by their owners. If Jazz is on leash the aggressive dog is much more persistent! Not sure but maybe we humans can make things worse sometimes?
If my dog was off leash, I would call her to me, leash her up and get between her and the loose dog. If a loose dog is wanting to sniff or bully your dog and you stay between them so they can't touch I would think that would help stop trouble before it starts. I may be wrong on this, but that's what kicked in when you described your situation. Also, most dog aggressive dogs are not people aggressive & they won't come at you to get to your dog. I've seen incidents where the aggressive dog moved in quickly, then in self defense the nice dog who was not inclined to make trouble, snaps and snarls at the rudeness of it and then it was a fight where you can't interfere without being in danger yourself. Asha is not as young as when I first started this thread, but I'd still not leave it to her to work things out with a bullying loose dog.

MyBuddy

Hot Topics Subscriber
I've seen incidents where the aggressive dog moved in quickly, then in self defense the nice dog who was not inclined to make trouble, snaps and snarls at the rudeness of it and then it was a fight where you can't interfere without being in danger yourself
I agree. I could see that happening and escalating quickly. And the other thing that I think of is if I move forward to correct, yell at or attempt to hit the other dog I think it makes my dog(s) do the same. I don't know if it's in defense of me or if it's thought of as the 'okay' to move forward, just because I am. Now I have not had any loose dog situation. Thank God. 😳 But even if it's a squirrel or something that I'm trying to chase off I will see that. It's just in my mind, I think it would be the same if it were a loose dog. It's just what my gut tells me what might happen for my own situation. And since I don't have a neighborhood type of life here there's not much of a chance of me walking my dog and encountering a loose dog. Now on my property, my dog(s) are/were always lose. Although an e-collar may be in use. If somehow, someday, I was out back and a loose dog came on our property, my first Instinct would be to call my dog to me and get between them.🤨

GennyB

Hot Topics Subscriber
Asha was amazing. As soon as she saw the dog being submissive to the leash and handler she was totally chill.
I think this whole event speaks to Asha's temperament. She knew! That's what you want! Kudos to her and her breeder! :thumbsup:
I know some people think you shouldn't have your dog around strangers because they may become too freindly. I say hogwash! A dog with a good solid temperament will be able to discern good from bad. I can't help but love me a dog with a solid temperament :love:

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
I know some people think you shouldn't have your dog around strangers because they may become too freindly. I say hogwash! A dog with a good solid temperament will be able to discern good from bad. I can't help but love me a dog with a solid temperament :love:
I know I'm getting OT here but I fully agree. Ripley is super sociable at dog classes...and I'm sure some people would think she's that "golden retriever in a doberman suit" by this description. She knows the people there are good people usually. Dog shows she's less sociable but is to certain people. Neutral to others. Again, it's as if she knows or trusts in her dad. She barked at one guy at a show recently. He was standing kinda odd and creepily he approached to try and pet her without asking and she gave him one good "no ty" bark. It wasn't blow up aggression or anything. Just letting him know she didn't like his vibe. Then she can immediately go into a ring and have a judge touch her all over. Another instance we had her exiting the car in a parking lot, my husband's back to an odd man who approached behind him and Ripley let him 100% know that wasn't allowed. The man got the memo and backed off. We promptly went inside the store and she was back to her sociable/neutral self. 😂 I don't think there's much wrong with any of that. I'm super pleased with her temperament.

jazzies mum

Hot Topics Subscriber
If a loose dog is wanting to sniff or bully your dog and you stay between them so they can't touch I would think that would help stop trouble before it starts.
This has always been my tactic when Jazz is on leash and you are right in that most dogs won't take on the human. The problem with bringing Jazz to me when another dog is standing over her or coming in with attitude is that that will likely trigger an attack. There has been such an influx of itinerant people this year who are fleeing the Covid areas that previously safe walks for us aren't so safe any more. Avoidance is the best defence but not always possible unfortunately. :sour: I think we will be doing a lot more on leash walking until this all resolves itself.

I so agree that good temperament and responsible training are gold!

AnnV

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
The problem with bringing Jazz to me when another dog is standing over her or coming in with attitude is that that will likely trigger an attack.
That's what I was thinking when you described the other dog intensifying the bullying. I think we (humans) have to listen to our gut, since there may be no given solution at a given moment.

I find myself sticking to familiar routes much of the time, at the expense of variety, for worry of loose dogs barreling out from their territory. It has happened already and I did what I could to stand between the other dog and Bedja as soon as I saw it coming.

Last edited: