Best vacuum for hardwood floors?

ledege6

We just had solid maple hardwood flooring installed in our living room and family room last week but I'm having trouble finding a vacuum that will be safe for the floors. The installer showed me his vacuum which had a felt strip around the floor attachment and told me to make sure I get one with the felt strip, which is proving hard to find. Does anyone have any suggestions that won't cost a fortune?

I know quite a few members here swear by Roomba's since they work on hard floors as well as carpet.

We just had solid maple hardwood flooring installed in our living room and family room last week but I'm having trouble finding a vacuum that will be safe for the floors. The installer showed me his vacuum which had a felt strip around the floor attachment and told me to make sure I get one with the felt strip, which is proving hard to find. Does anyone have any suggestions that won't cost a fortune?
not get any helpful response.

Try this thread. Lots of options to deal with Doberman fur.

We just had solid maple hardwood flooring installed in our living room and family room last week but I'm having trouble finding a vacuum that will be safe for the floors.
If you have dogs with toenails, I can't imagine that a vacuum without a felt strip will make any difference. :scratch: That said, maybe you keep your dog(s) out of those rooms with the new maple floors, so no offense meant by my humor. But seriously, if you are worried about scratches from a vacuum you could use a dry dust mop. I know @Oh Little Oji has talked about wood floors & the grief of scratches, and see that he has just mentioned a broom.

If you have dogs with toenails, I can't imagine that a vacuum without a felt strip will make any difference. :scratch: That said, maybe you keep your dog(s) out of those rooms with the new maple floors, so no offense meant by my humor. But seriously, if you are worried about scratches from a vacuum you could use a dry dust mop. I know @Oh Little Oji has talked about wood floors & the grief of scratches, and see that he has just mentioned a broom.
Yes, Oji has caused substantial damage to the finish of our floors that we had completely refinished before moving into this house – not only long scuff marks in the thin finish, but some actual long gouges into the wood as well. When he detects something that needs looking at and barking at on the street (99% of the time, another dog) he breaks into a sprint to the front of the house, peeling out like a cartoon.

That said, when we had a cleaning person come every other week, she insisted on using a vacuum on all the floors including all the hardwoods (rather than using a broom on the wood floors). We never detected any damage to the floors from the extensive use of the vacuum. We have a Shark brand. The wheels – at least the two wheels in the rear – do have a rubberish "tread" surface.

Back