• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Best European Dobermans in Europe?

There's a section here on opinions of breeders. Many, if not most refer to European breeders. You can read through lots of those and gain some insight.

have learned many of the POR dogs seem to have longevity issues.
You definitely don't want that.

I looked up both breeders and they seem to link back to other breeders I have heard of. I wonder if the ones you named are brokers?

@Sonny_Red what are your reasons for going Euro? It's pretty hard to grasp the integrity of some of these breeders. No website to list health testing or titles - just pictures is all I saw on the FB. If you like the heavier Euro look, there are quite a few breeders in the U.S. - you are looking for companion, not working lines?

Thank you! Yes I agree, something just seems off with a lot of the information they have, so I am skeptical.

Yes, I prefer the heavier/stockier look of the breed for companionship.

I would google Euro Dobes and find U.S. based breeders, then ask again if we know of them. It gets kinda tough finding reputable breeders if they start going too far out of standard though. The Doberman is suppose to be a medium size athletic breed and some of the Euro breeders have gone too far with the "bigger is better" thing. Then they can't show (over standard) or compete athletically (size loses agility). There are quite a few members with Euro companions on this board - hopefully they will chime in. Mine is half Euro too, but working lines, not a good fit for non-working home. Best of luck and when your puppy happens, you'll have to come back for show & tell.

Ok great! I have come across a few breeders when I was searching in the US.

Valor Dobermans
Paul Doberman Kennel
Imperium Doberman Kennel
Premier Dobermans
Sierra Dobie Farms

I don't have time to look at all these right now, but a quick glance I see some do health testing - A big plus! and submitting copies or links of testing on the website is a bonus. Some titles is always a bonus, but one I looked at, all titles are before import to their breeding, so breeders themselves are not active with their dogs. One only had call names, no real names or pedigrees - red flag to me, as I want to research family history. A couple that listed prices $4K + for limited papers and one not including ear crop seems steep to me, especially when they don't make the effort to prove their dogs in any way other than big & Euro. Reputable breeders almost always have the ears cropped before releasing puppies.

DCM is the biggest health factor in Dobermans today. I don't know how much you know about it, or the testing, but in case you're new at this, here are some short facts. The embark testing is helpful, but there are unknown markers associated with DCM so clear on DCM1 and DCM 2 on embark is by no means a promise of no DCM in their future. Dogs that are clear can get it and dogs that have markers have not gotten it. Yearly holters and echos are essential tests and should be done yearly for breeding stock to prove that they do not have it, since it usually develops in adults. The best way to do your own searches on the longevity of the family is to look at doberbase.ru and enter names in the pedigree database. It is voluntary info, so not everyone reports deaths due to DCM as it hurts their business, but when you see many in the pedigree with early deaths, no matter what the cause, be suspicious and see if the breeders will talk to you about it.

There are my main thoughts, again, I just glanced a a couple of the names you provided, but go back and look again. I do think it is an advantage to purchase in the US, since you are US based, for no other reason than no language barrier, no mixed messages, easier to chat back and forth to form a relationship of sorts.

The Doberman is suppose to be a medium size athletic breed and some of the Euro breeders have gone too far with the "bigger is better" thing.
This is a good point. The Euro look can be amazing but some of them are just over done. My Euro is 80 lbs and starts to look overweight at 84 lbs. The heavy bone and strong muscle tone may make them seem larger though as people always guess that he is 100 lbs. One warning though, they are a lot of “dog” to deal with. Even as a companion they will turn your life upside down. For the first few years they never stop moving, and they never let you sit down either. So make sure you have some good trainers lined up to keep this Dobernado busy.

My advice is to listen closely to the folks above. My husband and I know dogs, but Dobermans are a whole different experience. We love our girl so much, but this health testing stuff is no joke, and breeding for size alone, with the goal of making money, can cause big issues down the road.

Take a look at the Home we work with breeders from Serbia and our sister kennel is Angel of Shaytan. We are located in Florida and we bring hand picked puppies to US. Hope this helps :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don’t mind me asking what is your reason for importing Dobermans? There all different lines across the US and American bred Dobermans are competing at the highest levels internationally in sports.
So I’m always interested as to one’s reasoning in importing. I understand the importing of shepherds and Mals for military and law enforcement because that market needs a lot of dogs. But I’ve never heard anyone discuss why they are importing a Doberman.

Back