1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Being naughty

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by WILD ACE, Aug 9, 2018.

1. WILD ACE

WILD ACE Jr Member

So Ave has always had a kennel open door policy as he has a room that's his whole we are gone for work ...last week I was off vacation time we spent it at our lake cabin. Now this week since I have gone back to work he has been chewing the wall in his room holes into the sheet rock. He stressed his leg while we were on vacation a little ouchy took him to vet Tuesday so hes on a no run play ball so we have been on short walks this week before and after work at night and any time he seems bored any ideas why he would all of a sudden be chewing my walls ??

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  2. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Ooh a drywalling Doberman! :woot2:

He needs mental stimulation. Worst part about physical resting is their crazy brains need to be drained even more.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Yikes.

Yup, you have to stimulate and entertain him. If you won’t do it, he will find a way to do it himself.

I put Ragnar in sit/stay and walk around the house dropping bits of kibble for him to find. Then set him free to find.

Also put him in sit/stay in the back hall and then go hide some where. Behind curtains, under blanket on couch, under table, behind door, etc.... once I am placed, I holler free and he searches all over to find me. This one is especially fun. I really see him wobble butt when he finds me.

Been raining a lot here and if I don’t do something with him, he makes me pay!! Just told the wife the other night, a tired Doberman is a good Doberman.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I do something similar with the 'find it' command. I have him sit on one side of the kitchen island and I throw a treat on the other side. Then while he's there I throw another one wherever he can't see it. He has to listen for it (I do this on non carpet areas) and then if he's slow, he'll have to 'sniff' for it. Nose work definitely makes him tired faster.

Bonus points for me: I just upped the difficulty level on this game by using tiny cat treats. Ooh they are hard to find! See the x shaped treats in here? Break that into 4, that's how small it is. The rest is large dog sized treats/freeze dried stuff.

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  5. WILD ACE

WILD ACE Jr Member

I made some treat dispensers out of PVC pipe he rolls around to get treats out of to simple maybe 20180809_195128.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  6. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Kennel when your gone, sounds like an anxiety issue. Dobermans go thru different stages as they get older, some go thru a fear stage and need confidence building. Giving an entire room to your dog is too much, dogs are den animals, he would feel safer and less stress in his Kennel while you are gone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

No this is a great idea :thumbsup2: What am I seeing in the holes though? Can the treats fall out ok? The end pieces, are they a swallow risk?

You know what, I agree with DG. I hadn't considered anxiety since it hasn't been a problem for you before but I would add that after a lot of "together time" the dog needs time to adjust to regular routine so it probably is anxiety related. Coupled with an injury, it just adds to his tension. Definitely close the door so he can rest without concern. Try it out for one day at least to see if it improves things.

Because nothing is ever simple with a Doberman :rolleyes: I'm going to move Kaiser's daytime crate away from the walls...juuust in case :grin:

8. WILD ACE

WILD ACE Jr Member

Kaiser... the ends do not come off glued on the lighting is funky when taking pic its 3 holes drilled into pipe treats loaded thru them so when he rolls it the treats randomly fall out will try different lighting when taking pic and try to get a better one this afternoon

• Like Like x 2
  9. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Ah now that you describe it I get it. Those dots I see aren't blocking the holes, it's the inside of the tube showing up. The shadows mixed me up :wacky:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. WILD ACE

WILD ACE Jr Member

So I put the puppy cam back in ace room I was going to put the door on his kennel tonight to keep him in there tomorrow while at work since he has been a bit naughty .. chewing the walls and such but he acts like hes afraid of his kennel all of a sudden. We had to go out for a bit today and I left chunks of his favorite salmon treats in there and his ball he never let's go of and when we got home it was all still in there and he sat outside the kennel and whimpered the whole time we were gone.he has always gone in it and played down when he was tired even when were home. Anyone else ever have a pup that all of a sudden seems to be afraid of their kennel?

11. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Ask @WiglWerm about Ruby’s crate being next to the wall. :rofl:
    I can laugh because Bogie chewed the Sheetrock on 3 different walls.:wtf:

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Tropicalbri's

He may be going through a fear period and allowing all that open space may have confused him. Slowly start over and work him through it so that he learns it’s his safe place. Was the crate originally in your bedroom? If so I would move it back there and start fresh.

13. WILD ACE

WILD ACE Jr Member

Well long story short he has only ever spent 3 nights with closed door kennel those were at 10 weeks old when we got him I slept on the floor in his room while he was in kennel I'm 50 and to old for that hahaha. So from the 4th night on he has slept at night in our bed.. ( grr my fault. ) but he had a kennel in the living room and in his room no doors on them and he would just go in there and sleep when he needed his time. Hes never had a kennel in our room he has a puppy bed in there that he sometimes gets down and sleeps on during the night but only an hour or 2 then it's right back up on my feet or pillow.

14. WILD ACE

WILD ACE Jr Member

At this point I even crawled in his kennel with treats and he took off out of the room

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. WILD ACE

WILD ACE Jr Member

His room is not a full size room it's the entry - mud room 20180812_192300.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

He knows you're up to something that will end his free range lifestyle ;) Check your emotions when changing Dobe routine.

Let me think back...try hanging out near his crate like it's a fun place to be. You're on the right track with the treats but you have to stay there like there's no urgency, they're suspicious of us that way. Maybe try feeding his meals in there?

We moved Kaiser's daytime crate to a new location recently. So it does help that it's the mud room which has a positive association - his people come home there...but...they probably also leave there? Not that that's an issue provided that you're not making a big deal of coming and going. Do you talk to him?

Also, I would cover more of his crate. To the floor. Make it dark like a den. That will protect the walls too lol.

17. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Wild Ace sure is living up to his name! Were you able to sort out the crate situation?

18. WILD ACE

WILD ACE Jr Member

No I am still trying a ton of different things from different blankets different treats still wont go in there :(

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  19. Tropicalbri's

@WILD ACE something has definitely spooked him with his crate. Have you tried going with the hard plastic crates?