1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Basic First Aid Kit for Dogs

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by DobieLvr, Mar 9, 2009.

1. MLR

MLR Novitiate

I agree with you jstlovesdobes that it is OK to give the average dog of any breed asprin but, my vet forbids this for those with low white counts and VWd. It can lead to internal bleeding and major brusing just like in people undergoing chemo which lowers their white counts.

2. apbtmom76

apbtmom76 Guest

lol jst, I learned that from several vets is the only reason I said anything. lol

3. DobieLvr

DobieLvr Novitiate

Actually - you both are correct - we all are. Which is why no one should medicate their dogs without consulting their vet - even with something over the counter!

4. MLR

MLR Novitiate

Jstlovesdobes, you know I love you more than life itself. I wasn't trying to contradict you. I just have one very special dobe guy who I look out for. :)

5. apbtmom76

apbtmom76 Guest

I never medicate my dogs without asking my vet first. Especially if it concerns Penny. :D

6. DobieLvr

DobieLvr Novitiate

no offense was taken... at all sweety!! It just made me realize that even with over the counter drugs there are times when certain dogs shouldn't receive them for whatever reason! IT was a valid point and one worth mentioning - and thank you for bringing it up!

7. MLR

MLR Novitiate

I just wanted to say again that this is the best thead I have ever seen anywhere, bar none. I will be sure to print it all out tonight to save for emergencies. Thank you jstlovesdobes for writing such a positive, informative, upbeat and timely thread on the care of our beloved dobes and other doggies. You are the best.:)

8. apbtmom76

apbtmom76 Guest

I must second that whole thing that MLR just said. it is very useful and is great for printing and keeping with you.

9. Dobiegirl

Dobiegirl Novitiate

YES thanks it's great and I too have discussed with my vet about the pepto and VWD it's a BIG NO NO

10. DobieLvr

DobieLvr Novitiate

So for people that have dogs with this vwd... what special things do you need in your emergency kits?

11. MLR

MLR Novitiate

Everything you listed minus the asprin based products and I would add several sizes of tourniquets to your list.:)

12. Dobiegirl

Dobiegirl Novitiate

My vet said to keep a pair of panty hose to use as a tourniquets and I also kept a bottle of distilled or just plain bottled water in her basket in case I need to run outside to her and need to wash the wound fast to see how bad it was....