Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Barn Hunt Weekend - New Title!

Discussion in 'The Pet Post (Non Doberman)' started by Rits, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

We were so tickled to find out there was a place just 45 min away from us doing barn hunt! We first picked up the sport at UKC Premiere a few years ago while we were there for dock diving and lure coursing. She absolutely loved it and she got her RATN title quickly. We knew this would be a great sport for her to "retire" on in the next few years when she couldn't do the high performance stuff anymore. Well, a few trials later in the next division, she decided to strongly alert to a fake rat tube in every one of her runs. Back then, all the places were quite a decent drive away and with the cost of the trials, the dud alerts, and no way to practice other than PAYING to trial, my husband got cold feet.

Well, today they were on fire and broke their streak! 2 Qualifying runs in RATO! They got the fastest time both trials, too! Java knew right away what to do and didn't alert on any fakes! Yipee!

If you don't know about barn hunt there are many divisions but in each one, your dog must find a rat hidden among the course, perform a climb, and a tunnel, all within a certain time frame. As you go up in divisions there are more rats to find and more fake tubes filled with smelly rat bedding to fake them out. The tunnels get more turns in higher divisions, too.

In Open, Java has to find 2 rats out of 5 tubes total. 2 are filled with bedding and one is empty. She also has to perform a climb and go through a tunnel with one 90 deg turn, which was new for her but nooo problem lol. The judge complimented them both and called Java a "fun dog" :woot2: The helpers loved her enthusiasm coming out of the blind up to the ring, "Gimmie those rats!!" :evilgrin:

Hubby and her have 2 more trials tomorrow! If she passes the first trial, she'll have another title and they get to move up for the 2nd trial into Rat Senior and find 4 rats! Wish us luck!

This is Java's 2nd Q of the day. I accidentally stopped recording as Java came out for her first run, then hit record as she ended so there are only 3 seconds of that LOL. :bag:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Appreciation Appreciation x 8
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

That looks like so much fun!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

That was Awesome!! Her tail was going the entire time!
    Wish we could do that if they would offer it down here. I think Bacall would enjoy it.
    Great job Java! :thumbsup::gun::wow:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rits

I bet she would!! Not sure how many other dog peeps you have down there that would be interested but any club can start hosting barn hunt. Just need the support from fellow locals to get it going!

Barn Hunt Association

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  5. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Wow, great job! She look like she was having fun. I wonder how Kali would do in something like that. She's always hunting in my barn. Those things that they carried away, there's a live rat in there? Do you have to train your dog or did this all come natural?

• Like Like x 1
  6. MyBuddy

20180209_141421.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  7. Rits

All natural. The only thing you MAY have to train is a climb and tunnel but most dogs if they have it, they have it...and do that naturally making sure they search the entire perimeter. You are not allowed to touch your dog except when holding them at the beginning or restraining them while a person takes the rat away. The sport is all about letting your dog work, and you learning to trust and read your dog.

I think Kali would do AWESOME!! They have fun trials to try it out or you can try it out on whats called Instinct and its simply 3 tubes in the middle of the ring in sight. One litter, one empty and one a rat. You let her go and call rat when you think shes on the right one. You'll be able to tell :D especially with that little tail of hers haha. Here's a calendar of events.

Yep, it's hubby's job to learn to read Java to see if shes IDing on a live rat or just sniffing a spot where one isnt. Its hard to tell in this video but you may catch a glimpse of it on the first rat by watching her white muzzle...but she bites the tube when she finds one, lol. He calls "rat" with a hand in the air and he can either take it away and hand it off himself or restrain Java and let the rat wrangler come get it.

• Informative Informative x 6
  8. Rits

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

It’s great seeing a visual. Thanks for that :thumbsup2: What a great way to work your dog!

All the best with your 2 trials today. :goodluck:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. GOD'S GRACE

GOD'S GRACE Notable member

I DON'T THINK I'LL WASTE ANY MORE TIME WITH PLASTIC TOYS!!

I learned my lesson with the eGGe....we all remember Grace's dislike for it!...:lmao:

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Got to try it

• Like Like x 2
  12. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

So much fun to see your dog having such a good time!
    :congrats: on what she achieved already and :goodluck: today!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Wow beautiful Java was tearing it up! :congrats:

I looked at the list and I see a couple in this state but they're well over 200 miles from here. I'm sure the Bemidji club would be open to it but even that's over 100 miles away.
    There is one GSD Alliance club near here but they don't seem too active any more.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  14. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

Congrats!!! I would love to try this with the new pup!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rits

Thx for the congrats and luck everyone!

Java was a derp the first run of today and ran right over the 2nd rat so many times because she was SO. EXCITED.

BUT. Their 2nd run they Q'd in a blazing speed of 23 SECONDS and now have a new title! Yesterday her fastest time was 1:13. Moving into RAT Senior for a cluster show on Memorial Day weekend.

RATO CA UJJ Java

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Appreciation Appreciation x 8
  16. Rits

I bet he'll love it and I believe you can start pretty young!There are surprisingly more Dobes than Labs in this sport! Just saw the numbers the other day.

• Like Like x 2
  17. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

OMG she looks soooooo HAPPY!!! Excited to try this with Ruby!

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Look at the big smiles posing with all the ribbons! Great job, Java!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Big smiles all around! :)

:congrats:

20. MyBuddy

Wow, like you, she's blazing fast! She was so excited! She's like, gimme that rat! And look at all those ribbons! Congratulations!

• Agree Agree x 2