1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Barking

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by Fidsandfrats, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Fidsandfrats

Fidsandfrats Member

Zeke is not a barker. He'll sometimes bark if he's out in the backyard and he hears other dogs barking or sees/hears something in the front yard. He never barks in the house. I think I've only heard him bark twice while in the house (he'll be a year Oct 1). I would like to see a little of his protective instinct show and bark while he's in the house and someone happens to come to the door or when he's in the backyard and hears someone slam a car door. Do you think this will come in time?

Thank you

2. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Wow, what a different life from what I'm used to.

I would say that, yes, his defensive/territorial barking will come.

Just curious: Did you have him neutered?

3. Fidsandfrats

Fidsandfrats Member

Yes, I did have him neutered. Roughly when does the defensive/territorial barking kick in? Thank you

4. WILD ACE

WILD ACE Member

my boy neutered almost 2 now is not a big barker either. Unless i am home alone with him out in public with him then he has a low deep growl and a very mean lounge bark at any man that comes close to me. if my husband or any other male he trusts is with me he wont bark growl or anything. that started at about 14-16 months of age!!

5. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Sounds like your dog is well adjusted and not bothered by strangers. Barking at everyone that comes along can be annoying and not necessarily defensive. Some dogs bark due to a weak nerve. Be careful what you wish for, peace and quite is nice.
    We teach barking for guarding purposes but they also have to learn to cap the behavior and be quite. The dog has to be able to perceive a threat not feel threatened by every person it sees.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Ragnar is the same. Not a big barker but when he does, you need to get up and check it out because there is a reason.

Currently, when he stands at the door surveying the front yard, I will catch him deep utterall growl. I jump up and whisper to him “Watch” and then I treat. I am trying to get him to growl on command but asshat hardly growls, hahaha.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Oh Little Oji

Hmm. My more regular Dobe (trying to think back) maybe started defensively barking at somewhat under a year. I have subsequently had two working Dobes and they started earlier – especially Oji here who is a barking gold medalist. He's like the freaking Tiger Woods of barking. You know, if barking were tennis.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I was told that they don’t become protective until age 2. I don’t know the logic behind that or even if that is true, but K was more of a playful puppy type until around that age. He got way more serious and more aloof of strangers after. Before then, he was very much a social butterfly. We actually had to teach him to bark, and now he loves it, lol, but we can also tell him when to stop. That has been very helpful since our neighbor got a little yappy dog over the summer. It wouldn’t shut up so now that little mothball goes outside and seems to bark for no reason...while Kaiser hikes a leg in fluffy’s direction haha.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Oh Little Oji

Does Kaiser peeing at the little barky dog get it to shut up? I always have to laugh (usually on the inside) when Oji pees on other dogs.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

No unfortunately it doesn’t. I would laugh too if he would pee on another dog. Talk about marking territory lol.

11. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

Rubie barks.at.everything. We live on a corner lot in a suburb so you can imagine how many 'threats' she scares off each day :woot2:

Does his body language change when he see's someone? Does he watch them to make sure they keep moving and then tense if they start doing something odd? Maybe he has the good sense to bark ONLY when something is not right which would be a god-send.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Fidsandfrats

Fidsandfrats Member

He'll just watch with great alertness. No body language change that I can tell but nothing odd has come up that I can tell. Will take not from now on.

13. Oh Little Oji

The strong silent type perhaps? I bet he will come to be a good watch dog indeed.

My first Doberman did not bark without a reason. I loved that about him. At the same time, he was a very good watch dog and would bark ferociously in defense of home and me. (Well, and at motorcyclists when we were driving. And at horses.) But the point is, he was not a senseless barker. I took this to be a Doberman trait.

Fast forward to Oji here. Sorry to say, he is a senseless barker. He is a dog (I don't usually like to call Dobermans dogs, but...) that if put outside will find some sound, scent or perhaps nothing, in the distance and start barking – and keep barking. A nuisance dog indeed. Needless to say, I don't just leave him outside for any length of time. I have neighbors.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Interesting. Kaiser hates motorcycles too. He’s never encountered one in person and up close, but he sees them when he is in the back of certain cars. We have no neighbors with them either. When K is fully visible in the car, the motorcyclist behind us will always keep a long distance from him, so we think their fear triggers him to be defensive against them. He never acts like that when he is in a car that reduces his direct visibility to other vehicles.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Oh Little Oji

Interesting indeed. No offense, but I find this theory dubious. Motorcyclists driving behind your vehicle feel afraid of your Doberman inside your vehicle? I would say yes if Kaiser was riding loose in the back of a pickup truck.

I have long gotten really pissed off how drivers, when they can clearly see my Dobe in the very back of my vehicle right up against the back window, tailgate me just the same as usual. It's like: You are bringing your lousy vehicle right up to my rear bumper in a very unsafe manner even though you are looking at a dog right there – my beloved dog? I'd like to let him rip your throat out and then take a dump in it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

^^ This!
    The ability to perceive the difference between every day actions and a possible threat.

It took some doing when our new neighbors moved in to get Rocky to not bark at their every move in their own backyard. This is through a wood privacy fence mind you.

Today rolls are reversed and they have two little dogs (Scottie's) that do indeed bark at my every move in my own back yard as well as Rocky’s.

Meanwhile, Rocky and I can play ball indefinitely. No matter the racket they make he ignores it and plays ball.
    Because he knows, if he reacts towards them, ball time is over.

You want them to bark at the right things or the right reasons.

I would be thankful for the quiet.
    Daisy was a quiet dog until I taught her the speak command.
    After that you could hardly shut her up:D

Rocky was a barker and vocal dog when we got him. Very demanding dude:D
    It might be a :dobe: thing.

17. Atingles10

Atingles10 Member

Our guy is not a big Barker either. If he's out of his crate and sees someone walking by out the window he might bark but my husband can usually drive down the driveway and he won't make a sound but he alerts and gets ready to see who comes in.

I want to say it wasn't until after a year that he even started barking at people that walk by but not much. As he's gotten older he's become more protective of the house and car though and that's when the barking started. Thankfully when I check the cameras during the day he's chilling in his crate napping and curtains are closed so no barking. If he hears fireworks though look out, the pacing and barking commences.

It's funny though because on walks he never barks. He doesn't bark at people, or other barking dogs. He alerts and focuses but no barking. Approach his house or car though and different story Haha

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

No offence taken, it’s the only theory we have. He’s not reactive to people on bikes when he is walking on leash and he’s been around fast moving bikes too so i don’t think it’s a speed/prey drive thing. Maybe it’s the helmets? Tailgating is such an unnecessarily aggressive gesture. There was a giant truck behind us at night, very tall, and the headlights illuminated the back of the car, the guy driving would have only seen Kaiser and he turned off the headlights while we waited for the lights to change.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rodyboy

Rodyboy New Member

I have had two neutered males they both barked. I agree with Doberman gang, he is well adjusted. My opinion has always been if you are not going to breed your dog then neuter or spay, for me. It has nothing to do with neuter and everything to do with temperament. Our Buddy has some fear issues and would probably bark at hisownshadow. It is hard to calm and teach not everything is a threat but you have to. He is high strung. So he will gain his voice when he feels it is necessary. Our Zoe hardly ever barked, but if something was in question she did. I never ignored her bark, at times I would like to ignore Buddy ha ha

20. Fidsandfrats

Fidsandfrats Member

Thanks

Thanks. He appears to be well adjusted and easy going. Throughout his puppy stage I took him everywhere I could and tried to expose him to everything I could.