• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Bald spots and a teensey rant ;)

Vinnie's Mom

Hot Topics Subscriber
Hi Guys...ok so Vinnie uses a harness that we both love. The problem is that I am noticing a definite balding issue right where the harness is. He is not completely bald yet but was hoping to find a solution before it got to that point. I have tried several different style collars and he escapes from them all except the prong but he was abused with one of those and I will not do that to him, he would be better off bald that using that on him....3 months later and he still has scars on his neck...I really hate those stupid people...ok I am better now, thnx... I also made sure the harness was not too tight or loose and he only wears it when we are outside, about 6 hrs per day all together. The pix are the best I have to show the harness on him. Any advice is always appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 60693275_908539379489847_155691396248895488_o.jpg
    60693275_908539379489847_155691396248895488_o.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 62444019_919290318414753_463640821955035136_n.jpg
    62444019_919290318414753_463640821955035136_n.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 51
I hear ya! We had the same with Tara. I bought these from EBay...

E6CBA91D-8CE3-4855-BBF9-0334ABFD3B39.jpeg

They’re kiddies seatbelt straps. We’ve fixed them around the front area of the harness. They just give that extra padding to stop rubbage!!!

Is it rubbing him under the armpit?

I hear ya! We had the same with Tara. I bought these from EBay...

View attachment 97821

They’re kiddies seatbelt straps. We’ve fixed them around the front area of the harness. They just give that extra padding to stop rubbage!!!

Is it rubbing him under the armpit?
yes but also neck and back, basically there is a faint harness outline of thin coat forming...

yes but also neck and back, basically there is a faint harness outline of thin coat forming...

Ah, I see. Tara’s only in hers for about an hour a day, Max. Six hours is along time to be in an harness, lots of contact with his skin. When he wears it is he in your backyard, enclosed space? Could he not be naked?

Have you tried a strong leather buckle collar? Some members have had good experiences with biothane collars.

My girl is my service dog. She wears a leather harness because she is a mobility dog and we need the strength of leather when she's working. Her harness has lambs wool at the pressure points that stops the rubbing. Because it's there it takes pressure off everywhere the harness touches her. Might help your boy by relieving pressure and helping air flow.

What @GennyB said. If you must stay in a harness, especially so many hours, either get one lined with real sheepskin (not synthetic fleece), or if you love the harness you have, buy a sheepskin pelt (scraps are cheap, you don't need a whole beautiful pelt) - they are easy to cut and use leather/fabric glue and line the harness you have.

Have you tried a martingale collar? Also, someone posted about this harness below which looks well padded. I want to get one but haven't gotten to it yet.

C0EDB732-255F-49D8-8D17-2B19E1FA6A3B.png

Back