Baby crib as dog beds?

Genta

Notable member
Hi, I was thinking of making a dog bed for my doberman from a second hand baby crib. I was searching and saw several people doin it too, mostly for small and medium sized dogs (the biggest probably lab and gsd).

I was thinking would it be possible for dobermans too. The maximum weight load for the crib (I’m going to use ikea) is 22kg which my doberman surpasses by 13kg (he is 35kg). Has anyone does this before? And if it is possible do I need to get extra reinforcement in the crib? Thank you!

Here’s some pictures from google

Attachments

• 72F33DCE-9D01-4C00-99DD-453FE66F7A1D.jpeg
    72F33DCE-9D01-4C00-99DD-453FE66F7A1D.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 80C7683A-8E95-4EB7-AC7B-F9329377311F.jpeg
    80C7683A-8E95-4EB7-AC7B-F9329377311F.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 4
What a great idea, love it! I would probably find a way to reinforce it just because I am paranoid when it comes to our fur babies. If you do it, make sure you post pics so we can see how it turns out!

The one with the shepherd looks more sturdy and it’s good that it’s lower to the ground. I would definitely reinforce it lol.

My concern with a Doberman is their enthusiasm 😄 Especially if they like to run and jump on their beds. Will the crib slide from the force? Will it damage the wall behind it? Or if they like to circle around on the bed to adjust their blankets, can the crib portion withstand all that pressure? Or if the dog drags the mattress off the crib, will the crib be able to handle that?

I have used a baby mattress that goes in a crib and that worked well, but I just laid that on the floor and he regularly moved it around. If you think your Dobe can handle it and will use the crib in a fixed spot, then it’s a fun idea worth trying!

What an interesting idea. My worry would be having them get a leg stuck between the bars and twisting it.

I end up going for a toddler bed as it is safer and I am scared I’ll fail in reinforcing a crib. @JanS that was also a fear of mine, Noya is already clumsy as he is. Adding bars with elevated height sounds like a recipe for disaster. Thank you guys for replying!

I was thinking would it be possible for dobermans too. The maximum weight load for the crib (I’m going to use ikea) is 22kg which my doberman surpasses by 13kg (he is 35kg). Has anyone does this before? And if it is possible do I need to get extra reinforcement in the crib? Thank you!

That bed in the second picture looks classy as heck. Really like that one. :)

Back when I made this one both of the girls I had only added up to about 140lbs together so I tested the bed with 150lbs of weight bouncing up and down on it and saw no likely issues with stuff coming apart down the road. Was considering it fairly well 'reinforced' testing it at that. :)

hKa6nRJ.jpg

peJ3Q1k.jpg

Was made plenty big enough for TWO dogs but sadly never saw more than the one dog in it ever back then.

The one girl 'claimed' it immediately and 'sharing' was not something she was willing to consider there. :)

BBwIoqO.jpg

I honestly can't recall her sister ever getting in it even when the other girl that 'claimed' it was not around. :scratch:

The girls I have now do not have any problems sharing stuff like that and seem to be more happy / content when they are snuggled up together vs in different spots.

T1nnkIU.jpg

xPnfsAL.jpg

I1IZOR0.jpg

Current girls are bigger than the last pair and the bed has passed years worth of daily testing at 180lbs (+or- a little) and so far nothing is even thinking about breaking of giving out. Better to 'reinforce' and not need it than to NOT reinforce and wish you had done it later when something breaks. :)

Back when I made this one both of the girls I had only added up to about 140lbs together so I tested the bed with 150lbs of weight bouncing up and down on it and saw no likely issues with stuff coming apart down the road. Was considering it fairly well 'reinforced' testing it at that.
That's really nice!

Back when I made this one both of the girls I had only added up to about 140lbs together so I tested the bed with 150lbs of weight bouncing up and down on it and saw no likely issues with stuff coming apart down the road. Was considering it fairly well 'reinforced' testing it at that. :)
That's beautiful! And the pics of your dogs sleeping together are precious! ❤️

The girls I have now do not have any problems sharing stuff like that and seem to be more happy / content when they are snuggled up together vs in different spots.
That is a nice low bed, love how they are always together side by side.

That is a nice low bed, love how they are always together side by side.

Dystopia would prefer to snuggle up with her other friend if she could help it.

t4DfTXo.jpg

Not really cool with 'crate sharing' at all here but 'if' one girl is willing (and eager) to share her special place with her BFF then who am I to get in the middle of that and break it up?

UwVTM8w.jpg

Hi, I was thinking of making a dog bed for my doberman from a second hand baby crib. I was searching and saw several people doin it too, mostly for small and medium sized dogs (the biggest probably lab and gsd).

Here’s some pictures from google
I live in a 5th wheel camper so no room . I rather them have there donut bed . Kira sinks and and she loves it. Even now as a puppy so far she has not shredded it.

Calming Cuddler Long Fur Donut Bolster Dog Bed​

I do not have a photo yet of Kira in hers but I found an example online
She really loves it and it comforts her.

Attachments

• cuddlebed.png
    cuddlebed.png
    163.3 KB · Views: 1

Back