Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Baby Blue

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by dani_n_ the_blue, Jul 4, 2020.

1. dani_n_ the_blue

dani_n_ the_blue New Member

Hello! Very new here.

Two days ago we brought home a little blue boy from a breeder that said the litter was an accident. His father is fawn and mother is blue and the breeder had just had a red mother with the same fawn father. A friend of mine purchased a red puppy from the previous litter who is happy and healthy.

We got our puppy home and he has some bumps on his head that the breeder said were likely bites from litter mates. She said the vet agreed.

At only 8 weeks our puppy has some kinked hair on his thighs and that combined with the bumps on his head I am in the fear vortex hoping we didn't bring home a sad story. We knew CDA was a possibility and honestly, decided to bring him home so that someone else wouldn't give him up later. Can anyone tell me what the first signs of CDA were in your dog? Anyone with CDA have a specific regimen that has kept your puppy healthy?

I was told both parents are AKC and have been tested for various genetic problems like joint and heart issues. I am just nervous. I am still in contact with the breeder and she is very public with posts about this litter and the last one and she has taken in senior dogs in the past so I do not think anything she has done was with malicious intent or even for the money (the puppy was only $500). Just trying to give my boy the best life he can have!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Welcome to the group! I can't help with your question, but I know some others here have more experience with dilute colors. Also pictures would be super helpful to see what you are referring to (plus we all just love new puppy photos)!

• Like Like x 1
  3. dani_n_ the_blue

Thank you!

The photos of the bumps and coarse hair are a little tough to see but here is Crank and what I can get! I’m very much in love with him even though he bites with horrifying needle teeth‍♂️

Attached Files:

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  4. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Well having a Doberman is feeding the best diet you can afford. Blues and Fawns will require more care with supplements since they are prone to skin issues.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Hot Topics Subscriber

Hi there from Australia! I know little about dilutes. Just wanted to say he's a beautiful pup. The head bumps probably are puppy teeth marks though. As you know their teeth are wicked! :) It doesn't hurt to start asking these questions early as being informed about what MIGHT become a problem is better than ignorance. Enjoy him, he'll grow so fast!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Welcome from Minnesota!

Cute pup and I really don't see anything that's out of the norm for a pup.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dani_n_ the_blue

I’m prepared for that, I think, just was wondering if anyone knows where to start! I have a 10.5 year old pit who has always been pretty easy. I don’t give her chicken or anything with corn in it, she sunburns easily and she has a taste for bathroom trash, but other than that she’s Easy. She’s on a lamb Based dog food noW

8. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

That looks like hallmark puppy dermatitis. He is too young to show signs of CDA. He still has a puppy coat. I’d have him checked for staph. Also could be bites from his littermates if you just brought him home.

key to maintaining a dilute coat is a proper diet and good supplements. I HIGHLY recommend Nature’s Farmacy Complete. You would also be best to feed a food with salmon as the main protein. A great food for dilutes is Purina ProPlan Sport 30/20 Salmon. I highly recommend raw if you have access to it and feel Comfortable. My breeder friend feeds this to her dilutes and uses Grizly salmon oil and her dilute coats are the best I have seen.

i had a fawn foster boy for a while. I fed the PP sport salmon and used the complete. I also used a spray mix I made to help with coat. It was equal parts sea breeze astringent (the brown one), Listerene (brown one) Infusium leave in hair conditioner and Avon skin so soft. Mixed in a spray bottle and sprayed him down daily. Keep in mind he will sunbleach too...so look into a sun shirt for him.

• Like Like x 1
  9. blue_nala

blue_nala Novitiate

We have a 5 month old blue doberman. Right now we are struggling with clear signs of CDA. She'll have a biopsy to confirm in a month or two during her spay. While I'm sure others are right about the baby pimples on the top of her head and it being too early to tell, that's exactly what our girl had. I also thought it was nothing. But we've been dealing with skin issues ever since. 5 months is already early to be dealing with this, but here we are. GL

10. dani_n_ the_blue

Aww, that’s what I’m afraid of :/. Hoping for the best. He hasn’t had his first vet visit with me yet and has only seen the breeders vet. We are making an appointment for this week because his breath also has the same odor as his urine which could indicate kidney issues as well (hopefully it just indicates that he licks his junk frequently).

11. blue_nala

blue_nala Novitiate

Here was our baby's bumps when we first got her.

Attached Files:

12. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I have been using Nature’s Farmacy products since my two were 4mo old.
    I use dogzymes Complete, Phyto Flex and a couple years ago started on their Organic Kelp.
    Their products are amazing.

Be sure the vet does a skin scraping on the bumps, you want to check for any skin infection such as staph.
    I would order and start her on the Dogzymes Complete so she is getting the pre and probiotics as well as the vitamins and minerals her body needs to strengthen her immune system.
    Are the bumps fluid filled?

• Like Like x 1
  13. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

I would look into pet insurance, as well! Cute pup!

• Like Like x 1
  14. dani_n_ the_blue

Aww, what a cutie! They do look similar. His are starting to go down. I’ve been using organic aloe and lavender cleansing wipes twice a day. I’ve got a seborrheic shampoo on the way just in case. Vets offices weren’t open today so we couldn’t schedule anything but his next round of puppy shots are due in a week so we should be able to get everything done at once I hope!

We bought natural balance salmon puppy food because purine pro plan didn’t have a puppy formula with salmon available.

your girl looks a little bigger than Crank. He’s 10.5 pounds at 8 weeks. His parents are both high 80’s-low 90’s so we are curious to see how he grows

15. dani_n_ the_blue

I thought they were at first but they seem to just be inflamed masses. A couple have gone down a little, the biggest one looks like a scab. He doesn’t seem to mind them, they aren’t spreading and they aren’t anywhere other than his head. The tiny bumps in his ears don’t crust and look like tiny pimples.

16. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Is spaying her this early necessary? With big breeds, you usually want to wait until at least they are 18 months old.

How are the bumps now? @dani_n_ the_blue

• Agree Agree x 2