1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Ate plastic .. maybe

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by HakuTheDoberman, Jul 4, 2019.

1. hey guys so my guy got ahold of a water bottle (no cap on it) and when I got to him he was biting the bottom of it and when I picked it up a small hole was in the bottom where he was chewing. Maybe the size of a penny? I couldn’t find the piece around and not sure if it was actually eaten but if it was should that be cause for any concern?
    I’ll keep an eye out on his bowels and how he’s acting in the next day. But any advice? If any signs of bloating vomiting lethargic, etc I will bring to a vet but for now I’m just A bit paranoid

2. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

What kind of water bottle? Even the thin Costco water bottles have been tough enough for us and we give all sorts of bottles, from Pellegrino bottles to milk jugs. Are you sure it got bit off and was not just torn?

Such a small piece, if it was my dog, I would be watchful but try not to worry, but definitely watch for signs from him and wait for the others to weigh in.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Aquafina I think it was I’ll post a picture of what it looked like when I got it off him. I looked and felt around where he was chewing it and couldn’t find any pieces. His stool was normal this morning.

Attached Files:

4. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

That looks to be no worry, he should pass that out with his poop.

He’s a chewer and swallower so keep an eye on him, he will do it again.

Signs/symptoms:
    -No bowel movement
    -When he eats, will vomit food
    -stops drinking water
    -cowers around
    -bent posture
    -tries to move out of bent posture to stretch abdomen
    -very saddened, painful look and whine

• Like Like x 1

5. Okay I’ll keep an eye! His stool this morning was fine but I know if he did swallow it it could take longer. He’s been acting fine and ate his food normally this morning. He generally has a somewhat bent posture lol but I’ll keep in mind if it gets any worse. I found a little bit of it when I was looking again so I know at least not all was eaten. It’s hard to tell if it’s a whole and he ate the bit or if he just chewed a hole and warped the plastic cause ya all bent up. Whenever he chews on things he shouldn’t like a stick he will just bite off pieces and then spit it out and repeat.

6. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

It will pass if he swallowed it. My two used to chew up the plastic bottles and would chew and eat the caps. Lots of confetti poops. I would look at it and wonder where in the world did they get a hold of all the things I was finding in their poops.
    Rocks...my boy still eats them and passes them rather uncomfortably when they are key lime size.:spit:

7. That makes me feel a bit better thanks aha! He has yet to eat a rock but does like to pick them up and carry them in his mouth for a bit on walks. But if I’m glad it all passed for you and didn’t become a medical emergency

8. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

We had an emergency on Wed when a new client called about his dog eating a block of rat poison. He rushed him in to us and we induced vomiting and then gave activated charcoal and sent him home. It was fortuitous that they no longer sell rat bait that has warfarin in it. It has been outlawed down here.
    I called the owner yesterday to see how the lab was doing after that event and owner said he was totally fine, active and eating his food.
    These dogs will get into anything. :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  9. Update just came back on my lunch. Gave him lunch and took him outside and a bit of a walk and then back to the backyard to go potty and he went. His stool was veryyy watery with one bit that was more solid. No blood or anything just watery. I picked it up in the baggy and then felt around ( yum I know) and then felt something hard. I took a closer look and it was a bit of the plastic water bottle so he did end up eating some lol. I feel like there is still a bit left judging by what came out and the size of the whole and hoping whatever is left will soon pass with no complications either. Was hard and pointy I’m sure I’d hurt a bit coming out but he didn’t seemed bothered at all lol

• Like Like x 3
  10. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Just catching up on this. Good to hear he’s passed some of the plastic. I was hoping that it would pass through him without harm.

We’ve all been on poop patrol :poop: don’t worry! Lol

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Always a good idea to examine poops. It’s disgusting I know but it can give you insight to what the dog is swallowing even if you aren’t aware.

Damn, he bit through an Aquafina bottle? Those are pretty sturdy from what I recall. Like at least as firm as Pellegrino plastic bottles is what I’m thinking. Our boy is obsessed with bottles but if biting the plastic became a concern I’d try putting something like a sock over it, but then you’d have to be careful they don’t get the sock off and swallow it. I guess that’s why all toys should be supervised especially in the younger stages when they are curious and crazy enough lol.

12. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Poop patrol everyday when I come home from work. The highlight of my day when I find a good solid poop- really, I am not lieing.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

So satisfying isn’t it? :tongueclosed:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Agreed to be honest aha especially since last week we had problems with him not having any solids. I always take a look at every poop he has and also watch him going ( which helped me because I noticed he needed his anal glands drained and got that sorted out) I’m not grossed out by much so I guess that’s a positive for always checking their poop aha

• Funny Funny x 1

15. Right? Lol it was actually a very hard and sturdy bottle. He’s got his teething toys but of course he gets a hold of something he shouldn’t :p can’t leave em alone for 5 minuets.

16. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

E6975AE9-9F9D-4198-9457-551835D3A98B.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 6
  17. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Oh same here. Not so much now but when they were younger I'd sometimes have to go :shock:.

I'm glad some of the plastic came through and it can be in installments so I'd keep watching it close for a few more days. I know when Della swallowed those long staples off a pair of shoes that Albert chewed up, it took about 3 days for them to all come out. Our vet did an xray so I had an idea of how many there were and he told me that since they had already passed through her stomach to give her a bit of bread so it will kind of bind around the staples and prevent the sharp edges from scratching her.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow x 1
  18. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Staples? :censored:

• Agree Agree x 2