Asking AKC long-haulers:

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
I'm new to all this competition stuff & I've just got to ask, especially those of you who have been competing for years in AKC venues: Has AKC ever considered or discussed letting bitches in heat compete in trials? Why is it a thing? (I mean, I KNOW why it's a thing, but a dog trained to keep his mind on business no matter what should be everyones goal no matter what sport or which sex) Do any of the owners of intact bitches ever complain? Don't they allow them in conformation or has that changed too? Bitesports allow bitches in heat, they just go last. Same with NACSW nose work, wear pants & go last.

I was entered in my first nose work trials (2 days/8 runs) this coming weekend - Asha wasn't due to come into heat until late May or early June. She started yesterday instead. :facepalm:Now I have to take her to the vet to get verification that she's in season to get my entry fees back. With events rare as hens teeth near me, I can see how I can get wiped out of ever getting anything done. OK, I'm done "bitching", sorry for the rant, but really curious if I'm the only one?

LifeofRubie

OH, that's a bummer :(

I know for Barn Hunt, they allow bitches in season to run (but may be club/host site specific?) but you need to notify the club and they will run last and be in their own blind (waiting area prior to running). They also have their own potty area outside the venue:

1. Bitches in season (BIS). The rules on Bitches in Season apply to both intact bitches and those bitches who have received an Ovary Sparing Spay (OSS) and who are in season.
a) BIS must compete in clean, dry, well-fitted panties specifically designed for the purpose of preventing/containing seasonal discharges. The interior of the panties must be lined with an absorbent pad. Panties with shoulder/harness straps are not allowed. Barn Hunt Association® Competitor Rulebook © Barn Hunt Association, LLC® (Barn Hunt®, Barn Hunt Association®) 2019. All rights protected. Competitor— 7 Overall Competition Rules
b) BIS must be crated separately from other dogs in an isolated area. If possible, she must be securely crated in a vehicle. A “Bitch In Season” sign must be affixed to the crate or displayed close by the crating area.
c) Owners of BIS must inform the Trial Chair of their status as soon as possible; prior to the Event if known, or immediately if the BIS comes into season that day, so that run orders can be adjusted.
d) Failure to inform the Trial committee of a BIS is grounds for an NQ for all runs the BIS is entered in on that Trial day. The BIS must be removed from Trial grounds for that day.
e) BIS must wear their panties at all times when out of their crates except when being pottied.
f) BIS must be pottied separately from the other dogs at the Trial and kept as separate as possible from other dogs.
g) BIS must be blinded separately from other dogs unless the owners of all the dogs who would be in the blind with the BIS agree to allow the BIS to blind with them ( e.g. all other dogs are altered and not likely to be affected)
h) In most cases, the BIS is to be run last in each class. Clubs can make an exception to run a BIS prior to a Judge of Record dog depending on schedule and with the permission of all involved

Agility... CPE and AKC do not allow it, UKI looks like it's at the discretion of the club or venue.

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
Thanks for that info - I'm glad to hear that Barn Hunt allows them. I think all those rules are good & fair! I'd be so happy if they would do this for other sports. I'm just so bummed about this one deal.

LifeofRubie

Yeah, it's almost like it's better to allow it and have strict rules around it?

I remember at one CPE trial, someone ran a dog in heat without telling anyone. Perhaps they didn't know (highly unlikely), they didn't care, they wanted their Qs at any cost, or who knows what but people were PIIIIIIIIIISSED. There were blood drops around the course (it was a mat flooring, not turf) that competitors or judge didn't identify until several runs after it happened and it really messed up a few dogs during their runs.

CPE agility trials are readily available in our area so it's not even similar to your situation in which you don't have many options and missing one is a huge deal.

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
Conformation they are allowed. It's a part of life and the males have to deal with it. You just be considerate and don't fan them around ringside. Also let the judge know so they don't get a surprise on the exam. Although yesterday the club had a strict rule no BIS. I was surprised by that as it is the first time I've seen a show venue say no BIS!

Fast Cat is another that doesn't allow it. Seems so silly to want to preserve breeds and prove them by titling them but get punished for their bodies doing something that is natural twice a year. Can't continue the breed on if they are spayed. Doesn't help that they are in heat for longer than just a week.

JanS

DCF Owner
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
A lot of that doesn't make any sense with AKC. Dogs have to be intact to compete in things like conformation and we all know that most bitches come in heat at least twice/year so considering how long a female is in heat, it can knock you out of quite a few shows.

I know a lot of people who will put something like Vick's Vapo-rub on their males noses to keep them from getting distracted, but that obviously wouldn't work for things like nose work or barn hunt.

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
Seems so silly to want to preserve breeds and prove them by titling them but get punished for their bodies doing something that is natural twice a year. Can't continue the breed on if they are spayed.
Exactly! And what if police dogs or Search & Rescue dogs or Human Remains dogs went "off duty" because a feral BIS had peed near the search site on a real job??? The whole thing about proofing your work & proofing your dog is exactly about this! Breeding quality that depends on performance titles this is what it's all about. And not just on males, the females can get quirky too, I'm told. LOL, I'm almost over my ranting.

LifeofRubie

On the flip side, a lady in my barn hunt class has a 'mixed breed' dog who can't compete in AKC stuff because he doesn't have an AKC purebred registration number AND can't get a PALS numbers because he's not neutered. Keeping dogs intact is healthier, says dog experts, but if it's a mutt, you can't compete or title in anything within AKC. I can't remember how she came to own him.

I understand both sides of the argument but it's so frustrating when you meet someone who is an incredible and insanely responsible pet owner and their competitions are limited because she chose not to neuter him.

My rant is over :)

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
Oh, hell, let's just keep ranting! Yeah, I've seen that in the rules about the PAL dogs. AKC doesn't want intact PAL dogs because they can't make $ on them by registering puppies! :rp: