1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Aria Dobermans - Opinion

Discussion in 'Doberman Breeders' started by Kibbie17, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Kibbie17

Kibbie17 New Member

Hi everyone! I wanted to get your opinion on Aria Dobermans:

ARIA Dobermans

I'm considering getting a pup from litter "G". Any red flags as far as you can tell??

2. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

What do you see that you like?

Health: vWD free

Titles: Baby club winner in Bulgaria and bucharest Trophy ,Junior Champion in romania and Moldavia, youth class winner Dobermann Club Romania, NIS club second place

I'd pass. Almost no health testing. No health testing on female. Puppy only titles.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Kibbie17

Kibbie17 New Member

Hi Rits. There's many things I like. :) I like that the breeder seems communicative about the puppies' pedigrees and background. When speaking to him on the phone, he answered my questions thoroughly about his breeding lines health and current vaccinations. He also mentioned these were European Dobermans, which I understand have some distinct differences from American Dobermans.

Yet, I'm new to the world of Dobermans. So I figured I'd reach out to the forum to see if anything looked amiss. I know there's naturally good and bad breeders, although I'm unsure if I can 100% tell the difference at this point. Any tips?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Drogon

Drogon $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

I do like some of the dogs in the sire's pedigree. I'm a fan of Sant Kreal, Citone, Rio Bianco, and Diamante Nero. Some of the dam's pedigree is nice as well. I do like the look of Altobello but I've come to learn that they do not have the best health record. I'm bothered by the 'No information' sections in her pedigree. It also bothers me that I've never heard of many of those dogs or their kennels.
    It could be that their web site just isn't up to date and they didn't list all of their health testing.
    What bothers me the most is when I did a quick Google search for 'Aria Dobermans', I find they sell their dogs on web sites such as puppyfind.com and doggies.com to me that is a BIG red flag.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Drogon

If they sell their puppies on web sites like puppyfind.com stay away
    If they advertise 'oversized or giant or king or warlock' stay away
    If they sell albino dobermans - run away
    Health testing is important. You want to make sure they 'test' for DCM, vWD, Hips and elbows

Just find some more breeders and come back and ask our opinions. We'll be happy to help you find a good breeder. You also will need to know what you want from your dog. Do you want a pet or a show (conformation) dog or a working dog.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Perfectly stated.:thumbsup2:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

First red flag was the dogs themselves. They just don't look healthy or well cared for. Pics on a breeders website should be shining examples of the breed.
    The other thing I like to see is a breeder that does something with their dogs, IPO, obedience and yes even conformation. You may be thinking I only want a pet. Working dogs helps to understand temperament, I'm sure you do want a pup with the best temperament. Showing dogs in conformation helps one to understand form and function. I'm sure you also want a pup that functions well also. The goal is a healthy pup with a sound temperament that is put together well so he can live a nice long life with us. One way to help get you there is to start with good stock.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Kibbie17

Kibbie17 New Member

Thank you so much, guys. I appreciate what you've shared with me so far. I'm going to keep looking in Texas for a good, reputable breeder. I'm definitely mostly looking for a pet / companion quality, but we'll be doing activities like obedience training, and potentially show (not serious on this yet, but considering). And with a great temperament, like you mentioned.

Here are a couple other options I'm finding on searches across the web. So far Marrimac is looking like the best out of the bunch. They all have terrible websites. :-P (Aeolus is ok)

Bonne Terre Doberman's in Austin, Tx
    Aeolus Dobermans - Purebred Doberman Puppies
    Merrimac Dobermans

• Like Like x 1
  9. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad $ Forum Donor $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Just so I understand: Which message are you saying was perfectly stated, Gel?

10. Oh Little Oji

Breeders are infamous for having bad websites. Not all, but a lot of them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Oh Little Oji

Yeah, I would pass on the Aria Dobermans. I just read and looked at their website. You can tell by what they have written that they are not really all that knowledgeable about the breed. One thing I recall seeing in there was that they breed for the best aspects of the standard and size (or something like that). What does that even mean regarding the size claim? There is a breed standard for size. Most likely they mean that they try to produce overly large or at least tall Dobermans.

I am also concerned with how often they breed. I am further concerned that some of the Dobes they use for breeding do not look like very good specimens of the breed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Oh Little Oji

I always feel bad after saying negative things about a breeder. Who knows? You might wind up with a good Dobe from them, but if you are striving for the best you can do, I don't feel you are likely to find it there.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Much better choices, huge improvement from the other!

I like Merrimac the most out of those 3.
    Bonne Terre has pics of dogs that are not theirs in the "past puppies" section. Specifically Buddha who is a Foxfire dobe. So that is a bit misleading, imo.

I'd recommend writing a list of the things you want to look for, health testing, titles, what you're looking for in a dobe, etc. and ask those questions when contacting the breeder. Breeders should be more than forthcoming with health test results. You want to see health testing done on both parents and preferably some kind of titles on one or both parents. After all, you are paying for an offspring that should be a shining example of the breed. No second guesses when the parents have been put under some kind of pressure and judged by a third party, whether it be showing, protection work, or some other kind of dog sport.

If you are considering show or obedience, make sure you mention that to the breeder. They will help match a puppy to your lifestyle. :) You could see if there are any shows nearby and attend to make some contacts.

Some helpful links:
    The DPCA | Code of Ethics
    DPCA | The Doberman | Breeder Referral
    DPCA | The Doberman | Health

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $ Hot Topics Subscriber

When I bought my first Dobermann in the 70's he was classed as a Red with Rust markings. My female which I got in 2004 was a Fawn with Rust markings.
    I see the blacks listed as Black and Tans.
    My two pups I bought in 2016 were listed as Red and Rust.
    Why do I see the reds advertised as brown, chocolate etc. with tan markings.
    Is there not a standard for the colors?

• Like Like x 1
  15. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

I was wondering that, too... "RED" is the name for the 'brown' Doberman.

I don't like this site at all. They've had 4 litters this YEAR? Nope.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Regalis

Regalis Member

I believe calling them "red" is a locality thing. Some countries in particular call them brown or chocolate.

That said - this is an American breeder so yeah, kinda odd unless they're from a different country originally (the humans, not the dogs that is).

Anywho, I'd definitely pass. 4 litters a year is a LOT for a breeder. Several breeders I know don't even produce a single litter every year because it's a LOT of work and is one that they don't really make money on after they factor in all of their time and expenses (but that's doing it right, some breeders make loads of money by cutting some damn important corners).

That and I quite frankly just don't care for the looks of their dogs. But I'm picky. I strongly prefer certain euro lines that are a bit more square.

And what is with the marks on most of the adults back legs?! Those really look like pressure wounds from laying on a hard surface in a cramped space. If it was just one dog, it wouldn't be as alarming, but it's on several and it's not as if any of the dogs are particularly old.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Drogon

In EU Reds are known as Browns. Never heard of chocolate

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. Kibbie17

Kibbie17 New Member

At the same time, Aria's Facebook seems pretty active and I see people commenting that they had a great experience with their puppies. Might be fake accounts though? Maybe they've had multiple breedings this year because they have helpers.

Trying to play devil's advocate. :p

Look up "Aria Dobermans" on FB. Located in Houston.

19. Kibbie17

Kibbie17 New Member

As for the markings - that's a good question. I'm actually heading over on Saturday to take a look at the pups, so I'll have a better idea of how / where they're raised. And can meet the parents.

• Like Like x 1
  20. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

If something doesn't feel right, resist the urge to get one of their puppies to 'save' it from the situation. Also, without many titles on the parent dogs, it seems odd they would have so many litters if working/titling is what they're after - as most reputable breeders. If they're just breeding dogs to sell, red flag. Reputable breeders, as I understand it, will breed dogs who've achieved high levels of working/showing/etc., with the intent of keeping a pup to continue a healthy and strong line for more working/showing and sell the remaining pups to 'pet' homes which are still vetted. And I look for something in the contract that says they'll take the dog back and rehome it if you cannot keep it for any reason.

@Drogon thank you for explaining! I did look it up and say that 'black, dark brown or blue' were the European standard words for permitted colors!

• Agree Agree x 2