• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Argo Weight

mshipway

Notable member
Hello everyone. Just want a bit of input. Today after my exercise I noticed my Argo looked thin. He is just over 11 month old. Roughly 80 lbs
We are very active with off leash runs and so on daily. I feed him twice daily Royal Canin Maxi large breed puppy. I feed him more than the recommended weight but 20 grams. In my opinion he needs a bit more weight.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20190805_193044.jpg
    20190805_193044.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 66
  • 20190805_193054.jpg
    20190805_193054.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 61
I would agree, he is definitely underweight. I'd think you need about 10 lbs on him? That's just a guess from the photos. Maybe add some other fats to his food?

He looks fine, nice and lean. Lean isbetter than overweight especially while you are waiting for growth plates to close. 10 pounds would make him overweight. Too many people think dogs look better heavier but it is actually very hard on them.

He will have that look of thin (fit) after exercise. A lot of athletes do. Especially with heavy breathing the rib cage and the muscles over it will be more apparent on a fit animal or person. Id maybe add a pound or two tops but thats my personal preference. Its always a delicate balance depending on the day and amount of exercise.

At 11months he is still yet to thicken up with age.

I actually thought the same of mine at that age but now at 23months I think mine is just right.

Age and maturity will help.

Perhaps a smidge on the thin side but that an awkward age for male Dobes. His stools are all consistent and firm? You can't really go by the manufacturers recommendations, unfortunately. My two eat the exact same amount of the exact same food and Rubie is 10-12lbs lighter than Moose, at the moment. More pics might help plus we can never get enough pics!

Thanks everyone,
yes normal stools, tonnes of energy always.
I think it's just his current age coupled with his activity level.

Have a nice day

Zeus is a little over 2 yrs now and he has finally started keeping weight on. I felt like he went through periods of looking thin and ribs started showing. When I would notice this I would usually add a cup to each feeding. Would also give him some extra apples and carrots at treat times! Although he doesn't always dive into his food he has thankfully started filling out his loose skin.

Back