1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Are Males Rehomed More Often?

Discussion in 'Rescue & Adoption' started by Ingrid H, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I'm always on the lookout for Dobermans in need of new homes in the classified ads and it dawned on me that the majority are male. I thought it was just my imagination at first but then did a little survey of breed rescues which confirmed it. In the first rescue I counted 41 males to 25 females adopted out. What could possibly explain this?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

When I looked at an all Dobe rescue site last month there were more females?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Athena103

Athena103 New Member

I'm new here, and I'm only guessing but I've had all breeds of dog, all sexes (I live on a farm so pups frequently get dumped on us or strays just end up sticking around and becoming family) and personally I've found it is a bit easier to train females than it is to train males. In my experience it is not that they cannot be trained but it takes more time and patience as they are much more likely to lift leg than a female. I've also noticed my males (and like I said this is just my personal experience) run more often and are harder to teach "come when called." Perhaps this is why there are higher populations of males in pounds and shelters than females.

Just my personal opinion.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Tasha & Boris' Mom

Tasha & Boris' Mom Hot Topics Subscriber

I am clueless, but it is true i see more males than females. maybe it is the lifting the leg thing, Boris hasn't figured it out yet so I haven't had to deal with it but overall Boris is much easier to train than Tahsa. She is a little wench sometimes but Boris is pretty consistent and most certainly the first to get to his crate when mom starts slammin cabinet doors :D

• Like Like x 3
  5. Marinegeekswife

Marinegeekswife Hot Topics Subscriber

Just from my short personal experience, the male's teenage phase is 1000x harder to deal with than the females. It seems to last longer and they fight you more blatantly. Wonder if that could be part of it?

• Like Like x 7
  6. DocReverto

DocReverto Formerly CRD

Intact females go quick to bybs. I see Craigslist ads all the time for intact bitches, by the time they get back to my response I'm usually long ways down the list.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Judith

Judith Hot Topics Subscriber

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule but females do tend to mature faster than males so when people buy a male and at two years old is still acting like a big pup they fail the dog by not reigning him in and get him to put that energy into positive handling and training, and to be honest most people buy a puppy and think they can just leave it do no training and expect a perfect dog so when this fails to happen then into rescue he goes , such a shame.

• Like Like x 7
  8. Ingrid H

Oh wow! Many great ideas on why there could be more males available for adoption!
    I'd initially thought about male/male aggression, the adolescent phase, and the way males might roam more than females.
    I hadn't thought of the marking or CRD's more depressing observation that females are being snapped up for breeding :(

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Hot Topics Subscriber

Very interesting question. Testrone takes a little more work to manage so I would guess that plays a role a most people don't want to take time to train. I iwll ask some of my rescue friends and see what they think and let you know.

But it is also interesting to note that they evidently are easier to place since coming through a legitimate rescue they would already be spay/neutered. So that would not be a factor.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Luvmydoberman

Luvmydoberman Hot Topics Subscriber

Perhaps it is their size/strength. For someone who maybe impulse bought a Doberman, this may come as a surprise when dealing with an unruly, untrained puppy and the owner can't or isn't capable of handling the dog.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Dobeslove99265

Dobeslove99265 Novitiate

It's funny you say that... I was just at a rescue in north fort Myers n actually adopted my first dobe. She is wonderful. He twin brother was there also but they wouldn't let me adopt him also they inform me that make dobes have 2 stay in quarantine 2weekd longer due to aggressive tendencies over femal dobes. I find this outrages he was a sweet heart just like my baby

• Like Like x 3
  12. Judith

Judith Hot Topics Subscriber

Hi thanks for rescuing Nick, why don't you introduce yourself and your new girl and we also love pictures
    here is the link for the introduction page,http://doberman-chat.com/community/index.php?forums/introduce-yourself.80/

• Like Like x 2
  13. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Interesting question indeed. We don't have any rescues in the immediate area, but my initial thought is that the males can be much more of a challenge in the teenage phase and in my experience the females do mature quite a bit faster so they settle faster. I have a feeling that many dogs are given up when they start to grow bigger and the owners don't realize they might have bit off more than they can chew, so they take the easy way out and dump them. :(

• Like Like x 1
  14. DreamValley

DreamValley Well-Known Member

I am a bit surprised. I owned three males and Asha is my first female.... from my experience males matured faster and they were easier to control.
    They are goofy and devoted... love them.
    Asha is quite a handful dog :) She is already two and I don't see any signs of maturing. Gino was completely mature at 18 months.

No clue why males are being re-homed more often. Interesting point Ingrid...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Hot Topics Subscriber

Ingrid I have heard back from 3 Doberman rescues and they say it is about even - it is interesting that one said if they had males eveyrone wantd females and vise versa - think it runs in cycles!!!

• Like Like x 3
  16. Ingrid H

Thanks D4E for looking further into the question. My first observation was from the classifieds, but I didn't have any way to survey any archives of those, so I turned to "happy tails" from rescue websites.

17. Katja Henriksen

Katja Henriksen Forum Sponsor Site Sponsor

I don't know about rescues but I think that I see that my breeder gets more males up for rehoming than females. Usually they are untrained and out of control so I tend to agree with Jess. They seem to be more boisterous and challenging while adolescent and they often get rehomed around 8-11 months old.

• Like Like x 2
  18. watson123

watson123 Active Member

Which i think is sad! i have never had a female dobe before but iv'e had several other female's dogs and they tend to be more headstrong than the males that i had. i think marking, aggression, people that don't know to train, are probably some of the factors.

• Like Like x 2
  19. dh8

dh8 Hot Topics Subscriber

I've worked rescue for years and people come in firmly believing the same old wives tales-they need a puppy so they can train them for their family, females are better with kids and far less likely to bite, buy instead of adopting so you get a healthy dog with a good temperament, etc. I'd love to know where people think shelter animals originate-backyard breeding and puppy milling and even occasionally from really good breeders in emergencies are where shelter dogs originate. They were just horribly unlucky to get terrible owners on the first go.

People get like a brick wall with wives tales I think because they spend time planning for a new dog but the "planning" isn't based on any facts or real personal experience with m/f and old/young training, etc. Trying to educate them at that point becomes a bit like tasking away their dream I guess.

I've had males and females and find the females to be more headstrong then the males. And as cute as pups are; I can do without housetraining and chewing phases very nicely! :D

• Like Like x 2
  20. doberlicious

doberlicious Member

I see a lot more males than females. Its too bad because I am looking for a female. The only ads I have seen for females were very disturbing. CRD's post sums it up perfectly:
    I want a 2nd Doberman so I have to keep looking at the ads and it is really hard seeing all the wonderful male dogs that need homes. If I thought two males would work out there is a beautiful 7 month old Doberman puppy in the Ottawa Humane society. The poor guy has been there since early April and I just found out he was surrendered by his owner WITH A BROKEN LEG !!!! The poor guy was just 3 or 4 months old. I shudder to think of how it got broken, but the good news is it is healed. The bad news is he has been sitting there for so long and he is missing out on the joys of being a puppy . I need advice from people. My head tells me it is not a good idea to have two males, but my heart wants to take him. I know some people would say " try it and see" but I don't want to be another failed owner for him. Has anyone here been successful with two male Dobes ?
    My own dobe is 18 months, neutered and very well socialized. He gets along well with my 3 year old minpin ( also neutered) I can bring my dog to the shelter for a "meet and greet" but just because they get along there does not mean it will work when we bring him home. Any ideas ?

• Like Like x 1