1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Anyone use the SportDog Yardtrainer 100s??

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by MaxTN, Dec 2, 2019.

1. MaxTN

MaxTN New Member

I ordered the SportDog yardtrainer 100s, and was setting it up. In some videos the trainers said to start at the lowest setting and bump it up just until it gets the dog attention. One even had his young daughter hold it while he raised the level until she felt it. But they were using a different brand.

I did that with this one and with the dial all the way down at the lowest level; it zapped me pretty good. Not make you scream and swear kind of zap, but definitely will make you jump.

I’m not using this on my dog.

I just wonder if that’s the way it is, or if I got a defective unit?

2. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

hrm, our educator mini on the lowest level is barely registered when I tested it on myself so sounds like something is off with your unit. I'm not familiar with the SportDog brand but I'm sure someone here is.

To get a starting level, you're on the right track. I had it turned all the way down while the collar was on my dog and pressed the stim button. When she didn't react, I turned it up one and tested again. Repeat until you can see them register the sensation which was about 10 or so (on a scale of 1-100). She didn't jump but she put her head up. That's where I started but her general setting is now 40 when she's off leash. Enough to grab her attention when she's "seeing red" but definitely not enough to cause her any pain. Again, I have tested the 40 on myself and while it doesn't hurt, it's not pleasant.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Are you talking about the Garmin Sport Dog Pro e collar?

4. MaxTN

MaxTN New Member

No, the Sport Dog YARDTRAINER 100S
    YardTrainer 100S

5. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

hm, perhaps because it's for "high drive, more stubborn" dogs? The one we have is for dogs with soft to normal dispositions

6. obbanner

obbanner $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

It sounds defective. I use an e-collar to train and a slight nick is all I need. Of the six settings, I don't really feel it until setting 3.

7. MaxTN

MaxTN New Member

This (ET-800) is the one I think I would like to try. But quite frankly E-Collar Technologies has too many options to wade through; this choice should not be this hard. So my wife ask her niece that used to work at a Vets office and she said Sport Dog.
    Educator ET-800 The Boss

That could be, but I just thought for a 95 LB 2 year old Dobie that’s hard headed; that would be okay. You would think they would add to the high end, not electrocute them right off the bat.

8. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

The Educator ET-800 The Boss is not necessary. I guess if you need it to be all that.

I have a very high drive Doberman and use the mini educator 300 and it is more than capable. I use it everyday for the last two years and he is really rough on it. Educator ET-300 Mini Series | E-Collar Technologies

My only regret is that it is boxy in appearance. When and if this one goes out, I will prob get a Dogtra e-collar. I really like its sleek profile, one can barely tell it’s an ECollar.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

I agree most dogs can be trained using a mini educator. Simple and easy to use. Only if your dog is extreme with a higher pain threshold would you need the boss 800. It would still work, lower settings are similar to the Mini just gets higher the more you turn it up.

10. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

I started off with the sport dog collar you have, however I didn’t like it. There’s only 6 or 7 stim levels with a buzz and a beep. Not enough range imo. What you described isn’t a defective device. It’s just how the device is.

I used it for maybe a month and ended up getting the E-collar Et-800 boss (my dudes a dick and sometimes 100 stim doesn’t do anything to him may be adding 2 receivers for him soon). I leave my unit on free so I can adjust the level up and down freely depending on the situation.

also the zap you described is with e collars. Most dogs have a higher pain threshold than humans. So I wouldn’t let the “zap” deter you from using the device.

• Like Like x 2
  11. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

I have the Dogtra Arc e-collar and have used it for nearly a year now. Absolutely brilliant in my book. Stim levels are 1 - 127 and it has a dial which is very easy to up the stim level when needed. (As when in mid chase!) Range of 1200m too which is really good when off leash in open country. Very rarely need to go above 20 these days and mostly a reminder at 10 works well. I had been using a cheaper e collar which was totally inadequate at stopping her chasing and killing kangaroos.

This is how it looks on.
    camp037x2.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

can she really kill a kangaroo?

13. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

Yes, unfortunately! She would run them down and grab neck or head and give that killer shake. Snapped neck, dead 'roo. Not the huge ones but up to a little larger than herself. :shock:
    If the zombie apocalypse happens I know it would take very little encouragement for her to go back to her hunting, and provide meat for half the community! Probably some Ridgeback genes coming through there. :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow x 1
  14. Doberman Gang

The problem with the collars with only a few levels are one setting may be too low but the next is too high, so a real sensitive dog could have a bad experience.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I don't know about how weak the lowest setting should be, but if it was tried on a young child and she tolerated it well, then something sounds off with your collar (or you) ;) Ha.

Oji's e collar is a Sport Dog. It lived through my previous Dobe, including some immersion in salt water. Now, on its second Dobe, it has survived A LOT – including one thing I witnessed while on a trip: Oji was running loose around the house we were renting. He came around the corner, went to jump up onto the 3 foot high porch and either misjudged or slipped. He came down on the concrete porch, landing mostly on the collar. In fact, it left a skid mark on the concrete!! No effect on the functioning of the collar.

The thing has been missing the water resistant rubber cover over the power button for a few years. A few months ago I glued part of the body back on the collar where the strap goes through. This thing won't die.

But as for power settings: I have never understood how to fine tune it like you're supposed to be able to do. It has 8 settings on the dial, but within that somehow, each setting on the dial supposedly has 8 settings. I just use 8 settings. :scratch:

Settings 1 - 2 don't really cut it. Setting 3 is almost enough. Bear in mind that it depends on what he is doing, and what state of mind he's in. Getting him to stop driving us nuts, pacing and whining inside the house, is far different from having some effectiveness outdoors when he is drawn toward another animal of some sort.

Note: I have replaced the battery pack in the receiver (collar unit) once, and now it may be time to replace the batts. in the remote, as its range seems to have gone down to just a few feet.

16. Doberman Gang

Most sport dog collars have either low and high or low, medium and high. So if it has 6 to 8 levels each of those will have a low medium and high setting so could be up to 24 levels.

17. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I have the Dogtra IQ Plus. Which is sorta 'boxy'. Which one are you talking about?

I did see a small one like this for Kali. I can't remember why I didn't go with it. :scratch: I think the one I saw was using a battery that you just put in. Not something that was rechargeable. This one looks like its rechargeable and just like the one I have, only smaller. :facepalm:
    Dog Training E-Collars for Hunting | Electronic Dog Collars for Sale

(and OMG, is that black MinPin/Chi freaking adorable or what?? LOL)

How do the 'two dog' ones work?? The IQ MINI says its compatible with the IQ PLUS, but how? Do you use one controller for two dogs? How do you do that?

Dogtra has the MINI on sale right now but with $19.00 shipping. :confused-alt: Amazon would be the same price, with same day FREE shipping! Go figure.

18. Skatchkeb

Skatchkeb Jr Member

Ive been tased before. Ive held the highest setting on my wrist at max time. Its not horrible. It does nik you. So does a prong collar. Your dogs built like a line backer and is your responsibility. With cops shooting dogs left and right, with a doberman you better take all measures to make sure dog is very very well trained.

19. Skatchkeb

Skatchkeb Jr Member

Also Ive been training dogs for decades and I use a 500 yard sportdog collar. Its the biggest convenience youll ever find. I also love sportdog as brand for dog supplies. If youve ever worked with hunting dogs, these things rank as standard.

20. Skatchkeb

Skatchkeb Jr Member

But honestly your second guessing probably means YOU should maybe not use it.