• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Anyone pass Covid to your pets?

Kswoodssue

Hot Topics Subscriber
My husband was diagnosed with Covid the middle of last week. I started with full blown symptoms yesterday. We think Sasha, our 7 month Dobe, is showing symptoms. She had an occasional cough or sniffle through the night, and she has mostly slept with me on the couch. She still eats and drinks some, and no diarrhea. Anyone else run into this?

So sorry to hear this. I hope both your husband and Sasha feel much better very soon!

My wife had it 4/20 and neither me, kids or dogs got it.
I remember reading a couple of random news clips saying it was possible but haven’t really heard of any cases.

She played frisbee with my husband tonight, but slept most of the day with me yesterday and most of the morning today. Only a few sneezes. She had woken me several times during the night with snotty sneezy stuff. We are getting better and she seems to be also. I may check with our vet about testing out of curiosity. Thank you! .https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20220307/covid-found-in-29-types-of-animals

I may check with our vet about testing out of curiosity.
I think that's a great idea, just to know and to help the science of it all. I think the most dangerous viruses are the ones that jump species and the more reports, the more knowledge we have. Hope you all feel better soon.

Nope!
But I just read an article about it. You know what I say about this? :censored: NO!

In the News
August 16, 2022

COVID Vaccines for Animals
Leaps (Aug. 16) – Leyi Wang, a veterinary virologist at the University of Illinois, says that captive and pet animals most often get infected by humans. It goes both ways, he says, citing a recent study in Hong Kong that found the virus spread from pet hamsters to people. Wang’s bigger concern is the possibility that humans or domestic animals could transmit the virus back to wildlife, creating an uncontrollable reservoir of the disease, especially given the difficulty of vaccinating non-captive wild animals.

Why we don’t have more COVID-19 vaccines for animals

We did not pursue testing. The vet’s office help doesn’t need to be sick too. Sasha’s illness was mild, but present nonetheless.( I certainly would not touch a vaccine discussion with a 10 ft pole!😂 ) It’s all about awareness. She was back chasing her bunny on the flirt pole today, my husband is better, and I am a snotty old thing..

More info!

logo-125x36.png

Updates: COVID-19 and Animals​

February 24, 2023 / Coronaviruses / By Hemopet

Across the globe, several studies have been conducted on the transference of SARS-CoV-2 – the virus that causes COVID-19 – to animals, specifically companion dogs and cats. Some may think that these studies are excessive; others may be concerned. Why do scientists continue to test animals, particularly dogs and cats? The primary reasons are: dogs and cats are in close proximity to humans; to ensure they do not become potential reservoirs of the disease; viral recombination possibilities; and, decision practices for future pandemics.

With a few exceptions, the consensus around the globe is that cats, and less commonly dogs, can become infected with SARS-CoV-2, but they have not been transferring the virus back to humans. Yet, there is one documented case of a companion cat sneezing in the face of a Thai veterinarian who developed symptoms. And, one study determined that cats can spread the virus to one another in a laboratory setting. It is important to remember that a laboratory setting is not the same as the natural environment. A statistic in a study published in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medicine Association demonstrated that 94% of companion cats and dogs had exposure to a human diagnosed with COVID-19.

In summary, dogs and cats are not shown to be reservoirs of SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19).

As a reminder, the canine coronavirus vaccine given to combat enteric canine coronavirus does not provide cross-protection for COVID-19 because enteric canine coronavirus is an alphacoronavirus. SARS-CoV-2 is a betacoronavirus. Furthermore, the American Animal Hospital Association, the World Small Animal Veterinary Association and Dr. Jean Dodds do not recommend giving the vaccine against enteric canine coronavirus.

If you or another household member is diagnosed with COVID-19, please follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidance on protecting your pet from becoming infected with the SARS-CoV-2 virus from you and other household members.

Regarding the majority of other naturally infected animals, humans have been shown to transmit the virus to them. To date, white-tailed deer and mink are of particular concern. Not only have they been able to transmit SARS-CoV-2 back to humans, they have also spread the virus amongst their respective species and the virus has become adapted in them.

We have known about mink infection practically since the start of the pandemic. This is largely due in part to mink farms. Now, many scientists want to test wild mink, which makes sense.

But, deer? How would deer become infected if they are not around humans? We do not know the specific route of infection, but it has been postulated that wastewater might be the cause. Remember, wastewater is one of the early detection methods of COVID-19 and other viruses because humans shed the virus through urine and feces. On top of that, deer are very social with each other which can add to intra-species spread.

Deer also share something else in common with humans. The ACE2 receptor part of a deer’s cell is very similar to that of humans. The spike protein of the SARS-CoV-2 virus latches onto the ACE2 receptor.

Additionally, deer seem to be circulating what we might consider “legacy” variants of the virus like Delta. This potentially enables an adaptation or resurgence of one of these variants because the deer could be reservoirs.

In fact, it has been surmised that the Omicron variant may have animal origins. Others say this is not possible. However, the premise of variant origins should always keep us on the alert we should not simply disregard animal sources.

Recombination of viruses is another reason why we need to continue surveillance in animals. Recombination is basically when two distinct parent strains of a virus merge into a new strain. For example, let’s say the Zeta variant is the primary circulating virus in humans. We’ll hypothesize that the Delta variant is still circulating in deer and that it can be passed back to humans. Then, the Zeta and Delta strains could recombine and become a new strain.

While many of us are mentally just “over” with the COVID-19 virus and are wondering when it will be labeled “endemic”, we still need to be vigilant to a certain degree. Currently in the U.S., the pandemic is officially scheduled to end on May 11, 2023. Finally, we need to protect vulnerable animal populations for the ecosystem and their lives, therefore the onus of SARS-CoV-2 transmission to animals is on us – the humans.

Additional References

Bellinati, Laura et al. “One-Year Surveillance of SARS-CoV-2 Exposure in Stray Cats and Kennel Dogs from Northeastern Italy.” Microorganisms vol. 11,1 110. 31 Dec. 2022, doi:10.3390/microorganisms11010110, One-Year Surveillance of SARS-CoV-2 Exposure in Stray Cats and Kennel Dogs from Northeastern Italy.

Calvet, Guilherme Amaral et al. “Investigation of SARS-CoV-2 infection in dogs and cats of humans diagnosed with COVID-19 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.” PloS one vol. 16,4 e0250853. 28 Apr. 2021, doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0250853, Investigation of SARS-CoV-2 infection in dogs and cats of humans diagnosed with COVID-19 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Caserta, Leonardo C et al. “White-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) may serve as a wildlife reservoir for nearly extinct SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America vol. 120,6 (2023): e2215067120. doi:10.1073/pnas.2215067120, https://www.pnas.org/doi/full/10.1073/pnas.2215067120.

Kadi, Hamza et al. “A one-year extensive molecular survey on SARS-CoV-2 in companion animals of Turkey shows a lack of evidence for viral circulation in pet dogs and cats.” Veterinary and animal science vol. 19 100280. 14 Dec. 2022, doi:10.1016/j.vas.2022.100280, A one-year extensive molecular survey on SARS-CoV-2 in companion animals of Turkey shows a lack of evidence for viral circulation in pet dogs and cats.

Kozlakidis, Zisis. “Evidence for Recombination as an Evolutionary Mechanism in Coronaviruses: Is SARS-CoV-2 an Exception?” Frontiers in public health vol. 10 859900. 17 Mar. 2022, doi:10.3389/fpubh.2022.859900, Evidence for Recombination as an Evolutionary Mechanism in Coronaviruses: Is SARS-CoV-2 an Exception?.

Kuhlmeier, Evelyn et al. “Detection and Molecular Characterization of the SARS-CoV-2 Delta Variant and the Specific Immune Response in Companion Animals in Switzerland.” Viruses vol. 15,1 245. 15 Jan. 2023, doi:10.3390/v15010245, Detection and Molecular Characterization of the SARS-CoV-2 Delta Variant and the Specific Immune Response in Companion Animals in Switzerland.

Mallapaty, Smriti. “COVID is spreading in deer. What does that mean for the pandemic?” Nature vol. 604,7907 (2022): 612-615. doi:10.1038/d41586-022-01112-4, COVID is spreading in deer. What does that mean for the pandemic?.

Mallapaty, Smriti. “Where did Omicron come from? Three key theories.” Nature vol. 602,7895 (2022): 26-28. doi:10.1038/d41586-022-00215-2, Where did Omicron come from? Three key theories.

Molini, Umberto et al. “SARS-CoV-2 in Namibian Dogs.” Vaccines vol. 10,12 2134. 13 Dec. 2022, doi:10.3390/vaccines10122134, SARS-CoV-2 in Namibian Dogs.

Panzera, Yanina et al. “Detection and genome characterisation of SARS-CoV-2 P.6 lineage in dogs and cats living with Uruguayan COVID-19 patients.” Memorias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz vol. 117 e220177. 16 Jan. 2023, doi:10.1590/0074-02760220177, Detection and genome characterisation of SARS-CoV-2 P.6 lineage in dogs and cats living with Uruguayan COVID-19 patients.

Reggiani, Alessandro et al. “SARS-CoV-2 and animals, a long story that doesn’t have to end now: What we need to learn from the emergence of the Omicron variant.” Frontiers in veterinary science vol. 9 1085613. 15 Dec. 2022, doi:10.3389/fvets.2022.1085613, SARS-CoV-2 and animals, a long story that doesn't have to end now: What we need to learn from the emergence of the Omicron variant.

Shin, Yeun-Kyung et al. “Whole Genome Sequencing of SARS-CoV-2 in Cats and Dogs in South Korea in 2021.” Veterinary sciences vol. 10,1 6. 23 Dec. 2022, doi:10.3390/vetsci10010006, Whole Genome Sequencing of SARS-CoV-2 in Cats and Dogs in South Korea in 2021.

Turakhia, Yatish et al. “Pandemic-scale phylogenomics reveals the SARS-CoV-2 recombination landscape.” Nature vol. 609,7929 (2022): 994-997. doi:10.1038/s41586-022-05189-9, Pandemic-scale phylogenomics reveals the SARS-CoV-2 recombination landscape - Nature.

What Is One Health? US CDC and One Health Commission, What is One Health? - One Health Commission.

We did not pursue testing. The vet’s office help doesn’t need to be sick too. Sasha’s illness was mild, but present nonetheless.( I certainly would not touch a vaccine discussion with a 10 ft pole!😂 ) It’s all about awareness. She was back chasing her bunny on the flirt pole today, my husband is better, and I am a snotty old thing..

Even during the height of the media covid scare here in the US - Most Veterinary clinics never closed down or missed a beat (not anywhere in my tri state area at least and none that I read or heard about). At the very worst there were a very few clinics around here that would not allow the owners to come inside but they would gladly come out to your car and fetch your fido to bring him inside for whatever needed done.

I avoided the ONE 'no owners inside' clinic that I did encounter here for anything other than our weekly weight checks during all of that mess and went to other clinics that absolutely did not care about any of that stuff. (clinics that ran normally)

There were plenty of stories coming from media outletts overseas (hong kong and taiwan were some that I remember for sure) several months BEFORE some (a very few from what I experienced for myself and heard of from others) of the Vets here started that 'no owners inside' stuff reporting about dogs, cats and various other animals testing positive for the Rona and none seemed to care until all of the sudden that very few did.

None of the few clinics around here with those special Rona rules in place kept them up for very long. Maybe a month to 6 weeks tops before they were back to normal operations. Being in a tri state area and having 4 different Vets that I regularly see for different things - I visited Vets in 3 different states during all of that and out of them all only one particular Vet had the 'no owners inside' thing for that short while. Want to say that one of the others had a 'owners must wear a mask' rule when inside thing and even that only lasted a short time before they went back to normal.

Wish you a speedy recovery. :)

I had Covid in late Sept. of 2021. Our two Dobes were always around me and laying on me. They both did not show any signs of getting sick.

Back