Anyone own a Gunner Kennel? Crash tested kennel recommendations!

ArdynBane

Hi everyone! It's been awhile. :)

I'm looking at investing into a crash-tested dog crate, as I'm on the road a lot with my guy, so I'm constantly worried about his safety in case we ever get into an accident. So far the ones I've looked at are:

- Gunner Kennels
- Ruffland Kennels (Though I'm not sure if they are crash tested?)
-TransK9
-Variocage (Heard they're known for rattling)

I'm in Ontario, Canada so unfortunately at least half of these options are real pricey due to importing, taxes, dues, etc... especially the Transk9 as nice as they look with a back door for emergency exits.

Realistically, I have the most access to either Ruffland and Gunner. Ruffland is half the price, but I question if they are crash tested? I know Gunner is. My only concern about Gunner is the ventilation, especially with the summer heat coming up... Anyone own a Gunner Kennel that can give some insight? Judging by the photos, there doesn't look to be much for ventilation and a 2 layered stainless steel door, so curious on how cooling a dog down with a Ryobi fan and ventilation would do?

I'm also totally open to any other suggestions!

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
I don't have any input, but I think the ventilation question would have a lot to do with your vehicle shape/size and howl long your dog might have to be left in it without the air conditioning running. If it's just for traveling from one place to another, short stops for fuel or a bite to eat, I wouldn't worry about ventilation too much. For sure it would be a concern if you are going to have extended time parked with the dog waiting in the kennel.

ArdynBane

I don't have any input, but I think the ventilation question would have a lot to do with your vehicle shape/size and howl long your dog might have to be left in it without the air conditioning running. If it's just for traveling from one place to another, short stops for fuel or a bite to eat, I wouldn't worry about ventilation too much. For sure it would be a concern if you are going to have extended time parked with the dog waiting in the kennel.

I forgot to mention that we train Schutzhund so he is in the crate for long periods of time. The dogs must be in crates until it is their turn to work, and then also trials they are in crates. He has his own fan constantly going and a solar blanket to keep the heat down. Right now he's in a regular plastic dog crate which he does fine in, heat doesn't bother him in there, just looking for something more durable for the worst case scenario! The Gunner came highly recommended but looking at it makes me worried about ventilation, especially with heat...

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
Don't have any personal experience with those kennels. I went with a fabricated kennel by TNC. I wanted a sturdy long lasting kennel that looked nice too to protect Ripley in the case of an accident. I liked that I could give them any kind of measurement and they would make it. Double doors, fan attachment on one, whatever vent style, paint etc. Started at $600... Cost more than that once I added extras like the show dolly, water bucket hook, tie straps, double doors, fancy paint etc but it was hard money earned well spent on "myself" and my hobby. It'll be around forever with my mind at ease for travel. Doesn't rattle a bit! I like that I can lock the doors to keep someone from trying to "save" her or worse, steal her.

If I wasn't going to go for TNC I was going to choose Ruffland but I've seen too many personal stories where the plastic doors pop off in accidents and I felt like that defeated the entire purpose of trying to keep my dog contained. A lot of dogs go into flight mode after a crash and I didn't even want to think about the heartache of losing Ripley, possibly in some other state, and the costs and strain to search for her or worse... so I splurged for the door that would stay shut. I would definitely get double doors whatever your choice to pull air through the kennel.

TNC has GREAT customer service! I got it a little roomier than needed since I knew we would be using it on long trips and long days at shows. I wanted it to be just right for a male doberman too so I opted larger than I would get for traveling short trips. The next one I get will go beside it and will be a tad smaller for a female.

FB_IMG_1620976666371.jpg

PXL_20210423_235958407.jpg

PXL_20210426_162002301.jpg

PXL_20210423_235823561.jpg

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
I forgot to mention that we train Schutzhund so he is in the crate for long periods of time.
I'm hungry for more SchH talk, I'm just getting started, share some stories over on that forum subject!

I don't have a heavy duty wreck proof crate, just the large wire kennel. Training in NM and AZ it's just too freaking hot and all the sports I'm doing so far you're crated in the car, not at a show ring. (Training SchH, training nose work, have done Fast Cat & want to do that whenever it comes up. Some interesting links for other brand crates, I may look into a heavy duty one some day.

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
all the sports I'm doing so far you're crated in the car, not at a show ring
Because of Covid, most shows don't let us crate inside either 😩 have crated in the 80s with doors open and fan going no problem... Will let you know how 90s go this summer. Most likely will move the crate outside under a canopy to get more airflow!

ArdynBane

I'm hungry for more SchH talk, I'm just getting started, share some stories over on that forum subject!

I don't have a heavy duty wreck proof crate, just the large wire kennel. Training in NM and AZ it's just too freaking hot and all the sports I'm doing so far you're crated in the car, not at a show ring. (Training SchH, training nose work, have done Fast Cat & want to do that whenever it comes up. Some interesting links for other brand crates, I may look into a heavy duty one some day.

Haha we are first-timers... Hopefully go for a BH this year, depending on COVID. :)

I think I may just place a custom order with TNC Crates... A single crate to ship to Canada is only $100-$150 USD, but a double would cost $300 via freight. My only concern now is the custom duties and taxes that I may get pegged with at the border.... USD to CAD is never friendly LOL