• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

ANYONE HEARD OF DDD Doberman Dancing Disease????

WILD ACE

Notable member
i just got a text from my friend that has one of Aces Brothers and she told me he was just diagnosed with it and its genetic .. Now im worried?

Did your friend go to a neurologist to have specific tests done to definitively determine it is DDD?

We will usually run all the blood tests, radiographs etc. because symptoms are similar to those in Wobblers, arthritis and other spinal / disk problems, hip dysplasia. Once everything has been ruled out then we refer them to a neurologist as they have specific tests they do to stimulate certain nerves and can accurately diagnose DDD.

Unfortunately there isn’t a treatment/cure for it and it is rare. If Ace isn’t showing signs of it I would not worry yourself over it.
I understand your concern over it because of the genetic link but don’t obsess over it as Ace will pick up on those emotions.

I know... easily said yet hard done.

Last edited:
she had text me this morning and was at the university of Minnesota vet this morning is all i know so far she was just letting me know what they said he has so i could do some reading and to be watchful.

She said he was seen by both orthopedic dr and neurologist today she sent me a video of him but I have not figured out how to post videos on here yet

Geez, I thought this was a joke and I was going to see Ace actually dancing! I've never heard of such a thing. I will be following this closely.

She said he was seen by both orthopedic dr and neurologist today she sent me a video of him but I have not figured out how to post videos on here yet
You have to upload to YouTube, click on SHARE and copy link . Then come here and click on this:
Screenshot_20200106-191953_Chrome.jpg

Paste and it will embed.

here are the videos of DAX my boys brother as you can see he can play and ruff house with his house mate no pain but for sure can not just stand still with all fours on the ground

Do they have an actual diagnosis? This doesn’t look like ‘dancing’ to me where they would be shifting feet and the toes would be curled over.

This looks like pano...Kaiser would hold up one leg just like that. We went to another vet for a second opinion and he didn’t even know what pano was, so maybe the vets are just guessing, although with orthopaedics and neurology involved, I can’t imagine they would overlook pano. In the second video, when he sits, he looks down at his leg. He knows something is up with that leg but with DDD the dog is supposedly not aware? And did I hear him whine when he moved the foot as well? The inflammation of pano causes pain.

Do they have an actual diagnosis? This doesn’t look like ‘dancing’ to me where they would be shifting feet and the toes would be curled over.

This is how it starts and as it progresses they will start shifting legs, like trading off on one leg then shifting the other leg.

If they had a neurologist exam him and did the nerve testing specific to DDD, then they must have concluded a positive diagnosis of the disease.

they have given him a positive diagnosis of this. she did tell me last night that her vet has been watching it for a few months now and it just keeps getting worse thats why she was sent to the university

they have given him a positive diagnosis of this. she did tell me last night that her vet has been watching it for a few months now and it just keeps getting worse thats why she was sent to the university
I am so sorry to hear this. All you can do it watch for signs in Ace but don’t start stressing over it and making yourself sick with worry.
If you notice any signs in him, I know you will get him to the Vet for an exam.

Back