Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Any tips on crate training

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Doberman1994, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Doberman1994

Doberman1994 New Member

we get our doberman puppy in two weeks. With our last doberman girl we never crate trained but do plan on doing it this time. I got a huge crate that will work for when she's an adult. But will be using the divider for now.iv never crate trained before so im seeing people cut the divider so that they have pee pads. Im okay withgetting up in the night to bring her outside. We plan on probably feeding her meals in the crate to just cause we do have little ones and I domt want her to be disturbed by them when eating. How do I get her to like her crate and not cry ? Any tips or stories would help.

• Like Like x 1
  2. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

No to the pee pads in the crate. Negates the reason for crating (pottying inside).

She will probably cry; wait her out. My Dobe SCREAMED her first 2 nights. Their noises of displeasure are different than those of "I need to GO!"

If she makes the "I need to GO" sound: out of the crate, right to the outside, business gets done, right back inside and into the crate. No excitement, no fanfare. Sometimes we rewarded going into the crate with a treat.

General rule of thumb is puppies go outside after: eating, drinking, napping, playing. They can be crated for about as many hours as they are months old.

Make it fun, make it routine, and she'll learn to love it! Congrats!!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  3. AnnV

AnnV $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Bedja had started crate training before he got home, and I was told he was the cleanest puppy in the litter, not wanting to soil in there. He complained some in the beginning then got quiet. Only ever had one single pee accident indoors and it was my fault, not paying attention.
    Crate is placed where we spend most of our time. It is covered on three sides, door open during the day and he sometimes goes in there by himself to rest.
    When he was little I used to feed the meals in the crate.
    Also never let puppy feel being crated is a punishment. Sometimes though, during puppy period I felt as if I was punishing him when putting him there. Best to stay unemotional and even tempered when they act up.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I'm going through crate training my second Doberman. I was hard on my first and "followed all the rules" which resulted in about an entire month or more of screaming all night interrupted by midnight walks, loads of laundry and bathing a poop covered puppy. This time we are going about it differently. There have been nights when the pup has slept on the couch with either me or my man, nights when she was taken out and put back in the crate, and now nights that she sleeps for 7 hours straight in her crate. Puppies are still babies at 8 weeks and they are exhausting to look after, but so far a less rigid and more sensitive approach to crate training has put her far ahead of my first Doberman in both crate and house training.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  5. Doberman1994

Doberman1994 New Member

How did the meals in the crate go. Do you remove her bed. And is she still doing this. As we do have little ones I want her to be able to eat her food without feeling like thegirls are going to bug her

6. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

I hope I don’t write a novel here?:dobe:

My first Doberman was Daisy. She was a culmination of experiences of friends Dobermans and my decision in 09 that at 40 years old, it was now or never.

I had decided I was going to find a black, male Dobermann.
    I came home after the second meeting with a red female. She sort of choosed me rather than the usual breeder selects what pup for what dog.

She never was crate trained. A free spirit to a degree.
    She would be in heal position with one snap of the finger. But in a crate??
    The concept came home the day she was in for a couple of routine procedures so I dropped her off.
    She was a pretty well rounded dog all in all. Not overreactive most of the time. She made a guy :censored: his pants one night, at my front door because I had a fraction of a second of “not sure about this guy” in my mind.
    But again, pretty well rounded.
    The vet called me one day, begging.
    Please come pick up your dog.
    I could hear her singing the blues in the background as the message played out.

She’d never spent one second of her life in a crate.
    It was then that I realized I had done her a disservice as a Doberman owner.
    I didn’t prepare her for the possible short blips of life.
    It was something I learned to never do again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. AnnV

He chewed up several beds until I found PRIMOPADS on this forum, you can add zip ties to the order and tie pad to crate floor. Easy to just wipe off. My boy is a like a little prince, likes cushy so I also put a 3 inch foam mattress UNDER the Primo pad. (There is also an old worn primo pad under the foam mattress (like a sandwich), I put it there instead of throwing it away). Bedja digs and digs and his nail are hard on most material.

I don't feed the meals anymore in the crate (he already likes his crate) unless there is a specific reason he has to be there at meal time. But he still gets filled Kongs and treats when he goes into crate on command. Such as when we leave the house. I look forward to the day, soon hopefully, when he can be out of the crate even if nobody is at home.

I think it is good, and important, that dogs can have peace from little humans. So feeding meals in her crate is a good idea.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AnnV

Can add to my first post that I also took the puppy outside around 2/2:30 am every night for the first two months or so.
    No cuddling or babying, just business and back to the crate.

9. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

We're doing it much like Ingrid is the time with Phoebe and she sleeps in bed with us all night since she sleeps and behaves. Our other Dobermans wound not do that as pups so they slept in their crates.

Phoebe always eats in her crate so she thinks it's a great place and she quietly stays in there if we're cleaning or doing something where we can't watch her so this way is working for us too. I know that goes against a lot of what I've said before but I guess every pup is different.

10. Doberman1994

Doberman1994 New Member

How old is your doberman ? With our first we never crate trained and she was about 90 percent okay with staying home and roaming house at night but that few times she wasn't she would terrorize and demolish the house to extreme

11. Doberman1994

Doberman1994 New Member

Yes we use to always have to get someone to watch our old girl cause she was dog and people aggressive so a kennel wasn't an option if we had to go out of town. Most of the time I'd get a text saying they lost the dog or something stupid so we are def going to work on crates and making sure she shows no aggression what so ever this time so if need to go to a kennel she can

12. Doberman1994

Doberman1994 New Member

also if anyone has any idea on how we should go about the first day we bring her. Do I introduce her to kids right away or should we get kids to be gone the first hour or two so the puppy gets use to house

13. Maze

Maze New Member

I'm new to this with a 9 month old dobermann. I use a treat to give her for going inside the crate. I do have to guide her forelegs in but this night (6th night after adoption) she went in willfully without treats without resisting and importantly, without whining after.

Also no food, no water in the crate. They must know its only for unattended short periods of times and over night sleep. If you decide to give food and water she might think its a place to eat and not just rest while unattended.

This might not work for you if you have a younger dobermann or it might but this is my novice experience for a first time dobermann owner.

Take the advice that works and good luck. Be ready for lots of whining. One important tip: DONT GIVE IN TO THE WHINING.

Oh! and I have her sit before I touch the door and have her stay before I open the door.

Good luck!

14. Maze

Maze New Member

I introduced the dog to both kids who are 8 and 6. I didnt let them touch her but I did let Maze smell my kids, after a few hours of me assessing what type of dog I brought home I let my kids pet her then give her treats now hug her and approach her all within my supervision.

The puppy is the new addition to the family. The kids shouldn't have to change their everyday daily activities. The dog must get used to that right away, thats my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  15. AnnV

Bedja is 1.5 years old.

I would be careful letting kids hug the dog. Dogs don't see human hugs like we do. They may feel their space is being invaded in an uncomfortable (to the dog) way, and this may cause nipping or worse. Of course some dogs are more tolerant than others.

• Like Like x 1
  16. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

This might be a good question for your breeder, too.

The breeder we got our lab from encouraged us to bring Rubie, our Dobe, when we picked him up. It was not her territory, there were other things to keep her occupied, and the breeder was right there to watch the interaction in case anything went poorly. It actually went very well (Rubie isn't one to appreciate puppy energy) and the breeder spent a long time with all of us in a gated area to observe.

I know some other folks have decided to do introductions differently because that's what worked for them.

On the car ride home, Moose, the lab, was in a crate to keep them separate and they both fell right asleep.

I will second the don't let kids hug ANY dog UNLESS your personal family dog actually does enjoy it and the kids can demonstrate that they are able to differentiate their dog vs everyone elses dogs.

My nieces have always been told to ignore our dogs. Don't chase, don't yell, don't taunt, don't stare. If the dogs come up to you, here is an appropriate way to pet them. When the dog leaves, that's their choice. We've had them make the dogs to tricks for treats but all very supervised. Those nieces just got their own puppy and I see their behavior around their own dog is very different from how they been grilled to interact with ours which probably means that if they come over, our dogs will be put away or the Dobe muzzled until they can show me that they realize that not all dogs are their dog. Our dogs also did not grow up with kids so they just aren't used to them and don't generally appreciate how unpredictable they are.

Since we're on the subject (this is getting long winded!), if someone asks to pet our dogs while we're out, I will tell them they can approach the lab, only. He's my social butterfly and doesn't mind attention from strangers. My Dobe is 100% perfectly happy not interacting with strangers BUT if they stick around to chat and pet Moose long enough, she will get a bit of FOMO and decide that she too would like some attention and may approach them. THEN they are allowed to calmly pet her. This means that kids are always a no-no and she often wears a DO NOT PET vest if we're in a crowded area.

Socializing your puppy means that they pay attention to YOU in all situations and can be around things and scenarios with confidence. It does NOT mean that your dog should be allowed to approach any and every body or animal it see's. They will also rely on you to make sure they're not rushed by strangers for attention they may not want.

You will learn to read her and what she does and does not like. I have never once felt bad about telling someone they can't pet my dogs because it's up to me to set my dogs up for success and keep them happy and trusting me!!

• Like Like x 1