Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Any Old Timers Out There - ?? on Forell

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by DanBar, Feb 12, 2019.

1. DanBar

DanBar Member

Hi guys, hey, the two best Dobermans I ever saw were Chico v Forell son and grandson. One was sterile, but the other was bred quite a bit. They had not only great solid conformation but amazing temperament. This was in the early 1980s.

Doing some research Ive heard that Chico might be linked with DCM, but then again, what prominent stud, American or European is not? : ( I'm curious if anyone out there in Dobie-land had experience with the Forell line either here or in Europe, their health, and if ANY of the line still exists today.

I have written to the DV in Germany about this question with the usual no comment. It was an interesting thing, some of these Chico dogs I worked were simply breath taking in courage, others were just useless. I know its that way in every line, but the good ones were way above average.

Having retired, and being too old and arthritic to continue doing dog sport with my beloved pit bulls, I have started a small breeding program of European Dobermans and would love to reach out to anyone who knows anything about any Forell remnants. Or any good modern lines which are producing dogs able to score high in IPO protection without looking like a b/t saluki. That was the thing about those Forell dogs - not only great courage and temperament but oh that solid, square build!

Hoping for an early spring!

Attached Files:

2. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

A b/t Saluki! Funny!

I dream of a good working Doberman that has good conformation, good looks and respectable size.

My previous working Dobe wound up being a fairly impressive looking fellow, his main faults being cowhocked and having that sort of sighthound-like arch to the topline.

My current working Dobe has beautiful parallel hocks, but is very narrow in chest and is snipey, is only about 70 lbs. at 28", and has that same arched topline.

I don't recall seeing Forell in the pedigrees of my current or previous working Dobermans.

I'll private message you a couple ideas.

3. DanBar

DanBar Member

v Forell is pretty far back now. So sad that frozen semen was not around and used at that time! People always think that the dog breeds go "forward"... not! I'd love to have a Boston terrier from the 1920s! Heck, I'd like to have just about ANY breed from the 1920s!

4. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

5. DanBar

DanBar Member

Thank you Genny B, I have started just that. : )

6. Drogon

Drogon $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

7. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

Your description of body types are funny. I have one of each. A b/t natural eared Saluki type and one square. When we first got Shadow and saw her puppy eval her body type was marked square-lol. We get a lot of compliments on her appearance.

8. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Oji's dam is a German import. I have heard that what is coming out of Germany these days is not the most impressive. I agree (from what I've seen, but I don't spend a ton of time looking into these things).

That photo of Chico v. Forell that appears via the link that GennyB provided, though, shows a nice Dobermann – albeit with an old-fashioned head with minimal stop (or perhaps better described as minimal rise of the skull above the level of the snout). I've seen that look in some Dobes of old.

9. DanBar

DanBar Member

When I was working in an animal shelter we got in a red Doberman uncropped/undocked. The rather new employee looked at the breed chart and put her down as a "saluki". LOl!

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. DanBar

DanBar Member

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1