Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Any ideas on what this skin issue is?

Discussion in 'The Pet Post (Non Doberman)' started by L7weenie, Sep 11, 2019.

1. L7weenie

L7weenie New Member

Its been like this for months. Took her to the vet and he said it's a food allergy, well I've switched her food 3 times bc he said to give it a month on each new food and nothing..still like this. She's 4 and has never had this before. I believe it might be an allergy but not food related maybe environmental. Is there anything that I can do?

Attached Files:

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  2. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I like the idea of checking for environmental factors first. Any and all scented products coming into contact with the body would be the first place to look.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Can your vet do a skin culture? I think they do a scraping and can check it out that way.

@Tropicalbri's ??

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Some of those bumps look like bites. Is she outside alot? Heavy gnat area? Any bare or nearly bare skin and those blood suckers can be vicious.

5. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

If it’s environmental it’s about finding that trigger. Soooo many things it could be...tree, grass, weed pollens?!?!.....Raw, organic apple cider vinegar can relieve allergy itches and it also helps get rid of the offending allergens.

08584B1C-4FE0-46AF-81EB-C33020A9D129.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mystic

Mystic Notable member

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. L7weenie

L7weenie New Member

The only thing I could think of would be our detergent? I've used the same one for years.

8. L7weenie

L7weenie New Member

Yes, we live in Savannah, ga. Bites were my first thought until it started spreading.

Edit to add..she's not outside a lot at all lol just to use the bathroom

9. L7weenie

L7weenie New Member

Thankyou! I'll try this! It won't hurt, right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Member

Other environmentals could be in the house: especially fire retardant treated rugs, blankets, whatever she sleeps on. Anything gone through the washer/dryer with fabric softner or sheets or fragrance can be toxic to sensitive people or dogs or cats.

11. Dogdoc

Dogdoc New Member

If you want to do a true food trial to check for food allergies, you have to use a prescription hypoallergenic food as your trial. Most over the counter foods have similar ingredients or cross contamination from the factories where they are made and may not give the accurate results you are looking for. You don’t have to do a prescription hypoallergenic diet forever, but to determine if it truly is a food allergy, prescription hydrolyzed protein diets or limited Ingredient diets are the best “test”. Once it is determined that you are truly dealing with a food allergy, then you can experiment with varying foods with different proteins/ingredients to see what works best for your dog