Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Another good question..when to switch

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Minionmama, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Minionmama

Minionmama Member

I know we all feed our dogs different food and in different ways. My girl is on Orijen large breed puppy. She is 8 1/2 months old. She weighs about 60lbs and looks good. What age dog you switch to an adult dry food? 20180728_164409.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. NikiL02

NikiL02 Formerly Nlr02 $ Forum Donor $

Wait until she's full grown or switch or an all life stages whenever you want.

3. Minionmama

Minionmama Member

By full grown do you mean 2-3 years? Or just until her weight has leveled out?

4. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Wow she looks great! I agree with moving to all life stages, but I'd say do it now. We switched from puppy food at 5-6 months. Large breed puppy growth should be slow and puppy food is very rich (causing faster growth).

5. Antman408

Antman408 $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

You have a really nice kitchen and I like your floors.

I’d switch to an all life states kibble if I were jew.

Or switch to raw.

6. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Orijen is all life stages so you could switch whenever.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WILD ACE

WILD ACE Jr Member

I know when we got our boy 10 weeks we struggled with tummy problems and mushy poops by 4 - 5 months we took him of puppy and he has been good ever since.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

We always feed all life stages, puppy and large breed is to high in protein and is actually not good for doberman puppies. Dobermans are not a large breed dog.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Of course I'm going to say switch to a Raw Diet!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: :thumbsup:

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Firestar Dobe

Firestar Dobe $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I agree, our girls have only been fed All Life Stages due to the high amount of protein in puppy food. Too much protein can cause knuckling as well as other issues.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. NikiL02

NikiL02 Formerly Nlr02 $ Forum Donor $

When her height stops.

You can switch it an all life stages right now.

12. strykerdobe

She mentions about Protein at about 2:36

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

This explains why treat bags always say to have water available and I notice that Kaiser always drinks water after he's had a lot of training treats or a bully stick.

14. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I agree that you can start the switch any time now. I doubt there's a big difference between the puppy formula and ALS so you could buy a bag of the ALS when you have about a half a bag of the puppy food left and gradually switch over.

She looks great!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. strykerdobe

16. Minionmama

Minionmama Member

So is it high protein or high calcium that's a problem with puppies? I'm searching for a new food and thought I'd found o e it's all life stages but is 38% protein. My girl is 10 months now.