• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Another DCM diagnosis...

Thanks again for the well wishes everyone.
I never gave an update but he had his follow-up visit on Wednesday and his lungs sounded much clearer and is heart rate is much better so the vet was happy with the progress. Hubby actually brought him in for this visit since I had another appointment at nearly the same time that I didn't see/remember when I made his appointment while I was at the vet last time.

He seems to be feeling really good and is eating better, playing with his toys and initiating play with Phoebe so I like to see that.

He has a follow-up in 6 - 8 weeks.

That's excellent news so pleased for you all, so glad Albert is responding well to the medication.

Sounds like Albert is getting a new lease on life with his meds! I am really sorry to hear about this diagnosis though. :( Up side is you are onto it so early! :thumbsup2:

Well Albert developed a cough out of the blue on August 1st, which of course is a red flag to all of us Doberman owners. I was able to get him into the vet on Saturday and unfortunately he does indeed have DCM. :(

BUT the vet was actually pretty optimistic in Albert's case since we are catching it super early and there is a brand new cardio med that was just approved by the FDA for use in the US. I guess this new med, Cardalis has been working wonders in Europe and our vet just got some in last week so Albert is the very first one he's prescribed it to. He said it's a quadrant treatment that works in conjunction with the Vetmedin and Furosemide, which he thinks is going to help a lot.
So far he's responding very well and there's no more coughing, he's much perkier and his appetite is much better. In fact last night he went to the toy box a few times to bring a toy to me. We haven't seen that for a long time but he is 10 + years old so that's not out of the ordinary.

At any rate, good thoughts or prayers are appreciated.
I am so happy to hear Albert is responding well and the vet is optimistic. My prayers and positive wishes for you both!

Back