1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Annoying Poo Habits

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by Oh Little Oji, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad $ Forum Donor $ Hot Topics Subscriber

My 11 1/2 month old male, Oji, has stopped needing / wanting to be taken out in the morning for his first poo. That's actually great in a way, but it also is bad in that he has broken or training regimen. He doesn't even want to be taken out to pee. Again, great! I don't have to go out into my very public backyard first thing in the morning.

Here's the real annoying part:

It seems like he is sort of saving up his poo. Doesn't sound like my cup of tea, but all righty.

When we get out for a walk, he will poo after maybe five minutes of walking. It's a normal sized poo, and you'd think he'd be good until later. Nope, usually he will take another poo in a few minutes, and this one is less firm than the first one. Sometimes he has a third poo on the walk – less firm still.

Now, when we go to the dog park it's kind of ridiculous. I may have to pick up four poos during our visit. Yesterday I forgot to bring bags, but I know there are a few stations that have bags around the grounds. Interesting note: These bag stations are citizen-stocked. Not that I don't think the park service should provide bags for all the taxes we pay, but it's neat to get people to recycle their bags in this way.

Anyway, back to the dog park pooping: It's like he feels the need to empty his bowels in this situation or something. He will squeeze out seemingly every last ounce of poo. His third or fourth poo is pretty small and he squats there pushing. Sometimes he just squats there for like a minute and nothing really comes out. It's pretty dignified.

When I take him for a late night walk, he will usually poo as well, just to give you the whole picture. It's usually just one, but maybe two.

I'm feeding Taste Of The Wild High Prairie. I had been giving 6 cups divided among three meals spaced evenly through the day. I have backed that off to maybe 4 1/2 to 5 cups, as I found that I was probably overfeeding at the 6 cup level.

He is given water upon request, so it's not like he's filling up too much on water.

2. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

It varies from dog to dog, but usually as they reach adulthood they only go once or twice per day. Ours usually go in the morning, and sometimes in the afternoon. I do believe that they will use pooping as a form of marking too, so if he's saving it for the dog park that might be what he's doing.
    I would keep the solid routine of going out at a certain time during the morning and give him the opportunity, and if you have to go to work, he'll obviously have to wait until you get home to have another opportunity. Even if they don't poop for your regular outings, they should pee.

It's hard for me to give solid advice on this since we live out in the country with many acres and we don't have to deal with other dogs or having to go somewhere public.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Haha, not my cup of tea either! ;) But, seriously, I don't think dogs 'save up'. But I do think that a walk can stimulate more. And scents along the way probably do too, perhaps giving him more 'urges'. Or, like Jan said, he is marking. I can sympathize on the clean up though. :bag:

Again, like Jan, we are on several acres so I don't always see when Buddy 'goes', but I know it's more than once a day for sure. I know it's in the morning after breakfast sometime and when we walk the property in the afternoon I'll see him go again. I'm just assuming but there may be more. I work from home so he is able to go out more often and perhaps that gives him more opportunities to 'go'.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm with MB here. Any sort of exercise helps move things along and expel any there may be in their system. Excitement, anxiety, stress are also emotions that can cause poop to be more on the runny side.

When I'm preparing to take the dogs out with me for the day, I take them outside first thing in the morning. They often don't go #2 first thing because they want to be right back inside to see whats going on. I take them out again before leaving and they typically go then. If I especially can SEE that they have to go (what, you don't stare at your dogs butt? :p) then I will wait there and say their poop command. They know its not worth fighting me and will go to business finding that perfect potty spot lol. :rolleyes:

If you need/want him to go before you head out, do what is making his poop move along...exercise a bit before you head out. Throw a toy a few times to get his body and things moving. That should do the trick. ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Hot Topics Subscriber

I would definitely change to twice a day feeding which will help better regulate the need to go as often. The Taste of the Wild might be too rich for his system especially with the loose stools. I would try replacing 1/4 c at each feeding AM and PM with white rice and see if that improves. White rice often will solve the problem. I would also give him pumpkin at least e/o day til he is solid.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Oh Little Oji

Thanks, ladies!

I guess I agree that he's not consciously "saving up" his poo. I also agree that stress can cause them to have loose stools, and I know the dog park stresses him to a certain extent.

Another thought is that I've seen that plentiful exercise can cause them to take an additional poo or so beyond their normal routine, and these are usually looser – as I think if it, they're not fully "cooked" yet.

All this makes me think of a technique I read about in a book years ago. The book is by Joel McMains who is, or at least was, a big Doberman guy and wrote obedience and protection books. He said if you need your dog to go poo, you can take a match – the old fashioned wood kind – moisten it with your mouth and insert it back there. (don't reverse that order) I forget if you remove it after a second or two, or if you leave it in there. I imagine leaving it could be a bit problematic as they might sit down with it in there. But this is supposed to stimulate them to go. I often think of this when I need my Dobe to get to the business of going poo so we can set out on an outing or something. I've never tried it though. I'm curious if anyone has heard of this or tried it. I imagine I'm going to get some sort of shocked responses. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Drogon

Drogon $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

That's pretty common at the dog park near me. Many dogs poop the first minute they enter the park, and again a few minutes later. After that I'm not really paying attention because they're not my dog.

8. Oh Little Oji

Speaking of which, I was disappointed in my local dog park-goers recently when I found that three separate visitors in a row let their dogs in, and each went over to the same general area and pooped and the owners did not pick up. Almost like it was the accepted norm at this park. I picked up two of them, as I was walking around with my open poo bag waiting for my dog's next poo.

• Like Like x 2
  9. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I agree on the marking. If you want to test it, just take your dog to a show or trial. Where there are other dogs, there will be poo.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I've heard of this for dogs and horses that show...old tactic though that I don't believe is used as much anymore. If anything, I wouldn't advise to ever use the sulfur side.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Oh Little Oji

Actually, I am about to take my daughter and Oji out into the backyard so I can do some yard work – removing an old decrepit fence. As we don't yet have the new fence built, I tie Oji out to a tree in our yard. I know, not ideal, but it works.

The thing is, I know he is going to start his poo brigade shortly after I tie him out. Now, if I were to take him out on leash and ask him to go poo like I taught him, I know he would not do it.

So, some of this problem has to do with him being too interested in other things and other possibilities and thus not feeling like devoting any brain power to pooing. But when he's tied out, well, it's like me in church. Only my tendency is to fall asleep out of boredom and being confined, where his is to poo.

12. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Hot Topics Subscriber

Dobermans do tend to be sensitive to who is watching and where they poo. They prefer to do so in private which is part of the problem when they are expected to go on leash on a walk. I have seen the match trick used at shows as it is so much better when they enter the ring if they did their business BEFORE entering the ring. Koko was famous in St. Louis as a puppy for going in the ring!!!

• Like Like x 3
  13. MyBuddy

Egads, I don't need him to poop that bad. LOL
    Shame! I heard somewhere (Chicago??) where they were getting after folks who did that and even said something about DNA?? :scratch: Don't ask me how they are doing either one of those (a watchdog group? :p ) I just heard about it.
    That would be Kali. Her 'designated spot' is in the mulch right by the house off the kitchen area here. It works out fine because it's close for me, easier to shovel a spot in winter and it was good house breaking because the scent was there. :) But I can have them both on a walk all the way at the back of the property and be walking around back there hoping for a dump (Buddy will) and nothing from Kali. We get back to the house and she goes off in her mulch. :confused-alt: It's ok, because it IS her 'spot'. But, come on, you couldn't 'do it' back there?? Noooooooooo, you're too interested in other things! Then we get back and she's like, "Oh yea, I gotta poo!'' :facepalm:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Oh Little Oji

I can tell you my previous Doberman had a nice tendency to back up into a bush to do his business sometimes, or off to the side of the hiking trail sort of in the brush.

• Like Like x 1
  15. JanS

I always look away (even though I'm watching) when they poop. ;) I have heard of the match trick and would use it if I had to. I haven't had to yet, but it's better to have them comfortable than holding it for a few days and being miserable. The first year I took Della out of town for a show she would not go, but after we walked way out in the woods many times she finally went. Whew for both of us. :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. Oh Little Oji

Yeah, with our current pup, I swear: I've never seen a dog's anus pooch out so much when it is pushing a poo out. It's kind of disgusting. Even to the point I feel embarrassed when he's pooing in public.

Too much info?

17. MyBuddy

You should see a horse. :blush-alt:

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Oh Little Oji

Update: Same problematic habits persist.

I have had to institute an "Open Bag Policy." When on a walk, or at the dog park (which we don't go to that often anymore at this point) after I pick up a poo, I just keep the bag open and ready for the next poo.

It's funny looking I know, but his 2nd 3rd, 4th poos and so on are so loose that I actually hold the bag under his back end and let it drop right into the bag (usually a plastic grocery bag). I'm sure I give folks driving by a chuckle, but trying to pick up this stuff with the consistency of slightly warm ice cream gets old and leaves quite a smeared mess on the ground or sidewalk.

Open bag policy it is! Oh, little Oji!

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie $ Forum Donor $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Tad the visual I just got:sick:have you thought of switching foods? Or getting him on a probiotic ? I have a extremely sensitive stomach so does Ares so we have to take our probiotics every single day. Since switching to the raw diet no gas (thank God) and his poops look like a chihuahua poop they are nice and firm and are poof gone in two days it's incredible ! Yesterday my friends dog took the biggest :poop: I've ever seen lol and I have horse hahaha but they are in some crap food. Anyways just something to think about !:goodluck:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. JanS

No pun intended, I'm sure. :D
    I agree though, that cheap food is loaded with fillers so they have to eat way more to get the same amount of nutrients we can get with a smaller amount of the better food. People don't realize how many times it actually cost them more to feed the cheap food when the volume they have to feed is so much more.

Tad, does he get excited when he goes on walks? I know ours will get loose if there's too much excitement or if they're anxious about something.

• Agree Agree x 1