Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Am I posting too tight?

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Josht87, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Josht87

Josht87 Jr Member

60499209-5EDE-4268-94AF-DB8608F6FD7A.jpeg BA02FBFD-5650-4309-A463-412557B0DA7D.jpeg 028AF5C2-CDB7-41AB-AABA-4DF8F33E736B.jpeg I’ve just noticed that there appears to me some hair missing from the edge of Catos ear.

I’m not sure if it’s because I’m posting too tight or that’s just how the ear is sitting on the post.

He has been pawing his ear a bit and has played quite rough with some other dogs so it could be that.

Is there anyone that can tell me if it looks bad or if I’m just being paranoid?

Thanks!

2. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Pics are always hard to tell. The best way to make sure you’re not posting to tight is tonjust place the tape on and smush it on the ear, instead of wrapping it on tight. That’s how I was taught anyway. It works. Just let the tape do it’s job :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

What kind of tape are you using?

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  4. Josht87

Josht87 Jr Member

@AresMyDobie yeah I normally do that but he said been shaking the posts out so I went a little tighter. I’ve only just noticed the hair loss today though... :/

@Panama Black Rat microporous tattoo tape. It’s a solvent free tape used for dressing freshly inked tattoos that doesn’t leave behind any residue. Don’t think it’s the tape.

5. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Could be the ruckus with other dogs, could be pulling tape off and sticking to tape, or could be wrapping too tight....

Regardless, you have an exposed area now that can be easily injured without protection of hair.

Mine had same issues and developed open sores, not pretty and if not treated appropriately- will get infected.

You can use cloth or anything soft to cover the injured ear and then tape over normally. If an open wound, you can saturate with antibiotic gel and then fold cloth over area.

In pictures, I used 4x4 gauze to show another member whose pup has wounds on their ears.

Wounds or not, you can still protect the sensitive area from direct contact.
    7BCF3DDD-AB56-4929-9E79-6DA4ECBD7A48.jpeg
    11CCFAF9-DE80-4F62-BC8D-042EDB79B131.jpeg
    120AD125-255F-4739-B703-F4E8C3D00A63.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  6. Josht87

Josht87 Jr Member

Thanks very much for the tip! It’s not bleeding but it doesn’t look normal that’s for sure. Will repost tomorrow with something soft between that are and the tape. :)

7. AresMyDobie

You can also put baby powder on the backs of the ears to keep the tape from pulling off hair

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Josht87

Josht87 Jr Member

Will try that too. But from the picture do you think it just looks like some hair fell off or does it look like something else. I’m a little paranoid about cutting off the circulation and part of his ear falling off!

Maybe a bit crazy but I’ve heard of it happening.

9. AresMyDobie

I was paranoid when I first started posting ears as well. You won’t cut off circulation if you place and squeeze:) make sure to get post nice and deep down into the ears.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

If he is shaking them out you are not going deep enough with the rod. It is impossible to hurt the ear the way the dogs ear canal is so push it in deep then stretch the ear up on the rod. If you are backtaping it will kind of help hold it while you wrap the tape loose around the ear then squeeze the tape on to stick. It is like if you wrap your finger with a bandaid you don’t want it tight but secure.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Josht87

Josht87 Jr Member

@AresMyDobie yep, been trying to get them as deep a spossible. Really not sure what caused it, will just have to make sure I pay lots of attention in future and hope it clears up. After a couple of months of posting I probably just got lazy. :/

@Doberman Gang when you say backtaping you mean sticky side out right?

12. Drogon

Drogon $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Almost any tape can take hair off regardless of how tight it is. You could cut a 1cm square piece and stick it to the back of the ear and peel it off days later and it might pull hair off with it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

Also make sure you are pulling up on the ear when you’re pushing in the posts. That helps get them in deeper. Also what is the diameter of the stuff you are using to make the posts? It should be around 1/2 inch if it’s larger it might be too big.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Yes like taping a hockey stick. It is just one wrap normal then twist sticky side out and wrap lapping about a 1/4 inch as you go up the backer rod

• Like Like x 1
  15. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Also pull slightly up on the ears then tape. You can also use Torbot Glue on the post (start about a little more than a 1/4 way up from the bottom of the post to the end of the post where the tip of the ear will be) before putting the post in. This can help keep the post in place in rough play.

A great tape and adhesive remover is Uni-Solve. Just soak the tape with it. I prefer the liquid not the wipes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I see an area with no hair. I don't see anything concerning in terms of the health of the flesh. Hard to say, of course.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Josht87

Josht87 Jr Member

Thanks so much guys for all the advice, will pay extra attention when posting from now on!

• Like Like x 2