Alternative Methods For Ear Posting

My breeder who also posts with this method made a how to video. Thought I would share. It's in two parts. Enjoy. Let me know if you have questions

Okay, @Archer I am looking at all kinds if ways to post ears in an attempt to find the one that is perfect for Rumor. Let's face it we all want this to go as smoothly as possible.
I noticed you are using this method on your pups. Any tips or updates you have discovered from doing it?

I need to update (aka redo) this thread. I have tweaked this method from my original post. Have had something every night this week, plus work, plus 5 dogs plus have family in town. Should have a few hours in between things today to update this.

I need to update (aka redo) this thread. I have tweaked this method from my original post. Have had something every night this week, plus work, plus 5 dogs plus have family in town. Should have a few hours in between things today to update this.

All you had to say is five dogs LOL! No hurry, I have some time. I am just trying to keep myself distracted from focusing on the long torturous wait. I know you are busy. Just wanted to give you a heads up so you could plan an udate in there somewhere.

Awesome... thanks for posting the video... knew I'd seen it somewhere. For our first attempt at the zip tie method, I think we did pretty darn good. LOVE IT!!! Simple to make and apply and it seems very comfortable for Joker. Wish this came out clearer. (Just like his momma Echo with a ball in his mouth all the time).

9-7.jpg

Awesome... thanks for posting the video... knew I'd seen it somewhere. For our first attempt at the zip tie method, I think we did pretty darn good. LOVE IT!!! Simple to make and apply and it seems very comfortable for Joker. Wish this came out clearer. (Just like his momma Echo with a ball in his mouth all the time).

View attachment 75711
You did!! Too cute. Let me know if you need help.

Would zip-tie or molefoam method be good for posting a younger puppy through an ear infection? It won't be diagnosed until tomorrow but I'm pretty certain Ares has an infection. I don't want to lose the posting time on his show crop if possible but wasn't sure if this method also required a stronger bell.

How old is he again? If he's barely started posting I'd just skip it until the infection clears up.
Almost 12 weeks. I've been trying the zip tie method, while awaiting replies, to allow a little airflow and reposting daily. He shakes/scratches them loose that often. The medicine is greasy so the tape doesn't stick as well. I just don't want to mess up this gorgeous long crop!

Almost 12 weeks. I've been trying the zip tie method, while awaiting replies, to allow a little airflow and reposting daily. He shakes/scratches them loose that often. The medicine is greasy so the tape doesn't stick as well. I just don't want to mess up this gorgeous long crop!
Zip tie posts have to go down just as far as backer rod. There is really no difference between the two as far as the ear canal getting air flow. Just let the ears hang. AF498707-3663-4B8C-B2A1-4809C0162C44.jpegAF498707-3663-4B8C-B2A1-4809C0162C44.jpeg

That's a tough one but even if you have to do the zip tie method every day at least you're keeping them up. I think many people will put whatever medication the vet prescribes in the canal first, then post as usual.

They Quick Brace would be a DIY option if you're handy but that one does require adhesive.
This is what the wire looks like before the tape is on.
Quick brace wire sized down.jpg

Wonder if you can put them up in a cup? If a cup is too short, maybe a few cups stacked.

Honestly Ripleys ears got icky in the beginning with earwax or a sore here or there. Never infection wise but once they got icky I just reposted more often, every 2-3 days instead of 4-5 so I could clean the ears out. That seemed to be enough to treat them as the build up went away. You might get set back some but I don't think you will ruin them at this age with whatever you have to do, whether leaving them out or taping them to a cup. Rips ears had to hang all day for show and they did quite the droop towards the end of the day. It did cause us to post longer but nothing crazy. Go with he flow, you have plenty of time at this age to pull them up when he is healed. 🙂

If you noticed from the picture in my previous post. Save yourself tons of headaches and get a grooming table with an arm. I probably would be done posting month or two ago. If I had been able to post as well as I can now thanks to the table.
I feel stupid for not getting one sooner.

That's a tough one but even if you have to do the zip tie method every day at least you're keeping them up. I think many people will put whatever medication the vet prescribes in the canal first, then post as usual.

They Quick Brace would be a DIY option if you're handy but that one does require adhesive.
This is what the wire looks like before the tape is on.
View attachment 118688
I used the Quick Brace System for several months. It worked well until Kaiser figured out how to remove them with his paw between the cross brace!!! It was so simple and quick. I would recommend this system for first-timers and folks who live near the water (we live on the river). Posts that go in the dog’s ear canal were horrible for us once the weather got nice. Our dog loves the water and we were replacing posts every afternoon. The QBS eliminated that requirement.

Attachments

• IMG_5370.jpeg
    IMG_5370.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 3
Zip tie posts have to go down just as far as backer rod. There is really no difference between the two as far as the ear canal getting air flow. Just let the ears hang. View attachment 118687View attachment 118687
I used the Quick Brace System with GREAT results. It was wonderful for us because we are on the water. We stopped using them only after Kaiser figured out how to remove them by putting his paw between the cross brace. When we get another puppy, we will immediately start with the QBS. PS I have no financial ties to QBS…it was simply a Godsend for us.

Attachments

• IMG_5370.jpeg
    IMG_5370.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 2

Back