Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Alternative Methods For Ear Posting

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Archer, May 26, 2015.

1. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I plan on using this thread to share the multiple ear posting methods I have been taught and developed over the past two years. Due to the many issues I have had with posting Faith, I have had to think outside the box to find unique ways to not only keep her posted, but to correct issues as they arose.

Feel free to post any questions you might have about the different methods, or you can PM me too. Hope these bring help to someone in need.

METHOD ONE: ZIP-TIE FORMS

SUPPLIES
    • Zip-ties
    • Wide Medical Tape
    • Scissors
    • Wire cutters
    • Molefoam padding
    • Cotton balls
    image.jpg

STEP ONE
    • Measure Zip-Tie to length of ear. Place tip of tie in ear canal and mark where tip of ear meets zip-tie. Cut Zip-Tie at this length. Measure a second one of equal length using the remaining Zip-Tie and cut to length.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

STEP TWO
    • Cut two pieces of tape that are wider than the tie and slightly longer. Place first piece of tape sticky side up. Place tie on tape and center it. Take second piece of tape, also sticky side up and use it to adhere the tie between the two pieces of tape. Be certain sticky side is up on BOTH pieces of tape. Make sure the tie is seated snugly between the two pieces of tape. Repeat for second ear.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

STEP THREE
    • Cut a piece of Molefoam the same width as the tape. Remove the sticky back and stick half of the length to one side of the form, and then bend it to stick to the opposite side.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

STEP FOUR
    • Place 1/2 of a cotton ball in the ear canal. Take the Molefoam part of the form and place it in the ear canal with the sticky side towards the ear. Lift up on the tip of the ear and pull it towards the tip of the form. Squeeze the tip of the ear on the tip of the form with your hand to adhere it to the tape, then continue to press the tape to the ear to ensure it sticks.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

STEP FIVE
    • Cut a small tab of tape, and use it to adhere the form to the top of the ear to secure it
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

STEP SIX
    • Repeat to other ear. The posts should hold and need to be changed every 7-10 days.
    STEP SEVEN
    • Celebrate! You are done!
    Finished product :)
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

A FEW DETAILED PICTURES...

Width of the Zip-Tie
    image.jpg

Type of tape I use. Unfortunately, it is only sold in Korea. We don't carry anything identical here in the USA. It just has to be sticky enough to hold on the ear.
    image.jpg
    I have tried Elastikon tape. The stickiness is great, but the tape is a bit thick.
    image.jpg

A SPECIAL THANK YOU TO OUR EAR MODEL, ARIA, WHO "VOLUNTEERED" TO BE MY LITTLE HELPER IN PLACE OF HER SISTER, FAITH WHO WAS ALREADY POSTED. Don't feel too bad for her. She loved the extra treats and attention ❤️

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Gretchen_Red

Gretchen_Red Hot Topics Subscriber

I like this! Will have to try at some point

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I can't see how those posts don't fall out. Is it only the piece of tape at the tip of the ear that makes contact with fur?
    Have you seen this video? It's in Brazilian Portuguese, but that doesn't matter. They use a lot of tape.

4. Archer

I made note in one of the bullet points, but the tape touching the entire length of the ear is sticky side out and adheres nicely to the ear and does not come off. The piece of tape at the tip is only there to prevent the edge of the form from pulling away from the narrow tip of the ear and isn't necessarily needed. The tape used is sticky enough that it is all that's required. I have used this method multiple times on Faith now and I have never had a post come off. That's the beauty of it, it's strong and simplistic and uses minimal tape, but gets the job done well :)

Cool! That's a lot of tape they used in the video, which you would need if your tape isn't sticky enough. I have not seen it before, but it offers another alternative posting method. Thanks for sharing it! It might be in Portuguese, but it's easy to understand.

• Like Like x 2
  5. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Excellent and I look forward to seeing your other ones too! Thank you for doing this!

Do you leave the cotton ball in there or just place it there while you're working on it?

6. Archer

Here is a video of my Korean breeder friend posting with this method. I didn't post it originally because he doesn't explain anything, and if he did you couldn't understand him anyway. After seeing the video Ingrid posted I started thinking it might be helpful to watch the entire process too instead of seeing it in pictures. Thanks, Ingrid :)

Most of the product you see him using is not available in the US (the gauze he uses for padding) and I have had to improvise.

* Darn, it won't embed my video. Will try to find another way to post it*
    [DOUBLEPOST=1432728222,1432727831][/DOUBLEPOST]
    No problem. Learning the methods has been fun. yes, I leave the cottonball in the ear, but you don't have to. You can also half post with this method by cutting the tape and tie to the level of the knob inside the ear.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Oh I missed that! Looks like a fantastic way of posting with minimal tape. Plenty of air getting to the skin, and I bet almost no hair loss on the ears.

8. I am going to have to try this,looks very cool! Thank you for sharing!

9. Archer

I like the video you posted. It's a great method too, but uses a lot of tape. It would be good for those who don't have access to backer rod!

10. Drogon

Drogon $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

My vet uses a similar method. The zip tie preparation looks the same. Torbots glue the zip tie in place. Then on top of the zip tie, he places a molefoam post. The molefoam is cut to match the ear in a tear drop shape. The large end of the tear drop gets pinched together and inserted partially into the canal. The molefoam is held in place with more torbots glue. Final touches are small amounts of tape over the tips and a bridge of tape. IMG_0788.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  11. jaxandco

jaxandco Member

I would love to try something like this on Mina! Her ears are pretty strong already but I know we're not quite done yet. My problem with the backer rod method is that her and Jax can Houdini one of those off in 2 seconds or less. Or in playing (crazy wild "playing" 24/7) Jax goes for her ears and catches the tape with his teeth sometimes and bunches it all up and then I worry that it's cutting off circulation... Needless to say, we're on posting #8,647 (okay maybe I exaggerate little...) :)

I'm open to any and all ideas for posts that will last longer than a day. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

LOL, Della used to always go for Albert's ears too, but we let her know that it wasn't a good idea. I really don't have any suggestions since I know they do play, but really the backer rod shouldn't come out if it's well seated.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Drogon

Here's a decent illustration of how my vet does the molefoam. http://www.showdog-magazine.com/Articles/ears.htm
    So first the zip tie covered in tape - held in place by adhesive (just like this original post) but then on top of them - more adhesive and then the molefoam.
    If you look closely at the pic I uploaded, you can see where the molefoam stops under the tape for the bridge. The molefoam supports the bottom 3/4 of the ear while the zip tie is only supporting the top 1/4 but still extends the full length of the ear.

They stay in my pups ears about 10 days. 10-14 days the adhesive should break down which is why they come loose. My pup was constantly scratching when he had backer rod held in place by tape. With the combination zip tie and molefoam, he only scratches for the first hour after a new application.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Marianap25

Marianap25 New Member

I just tried this method but everytime my puppy shakes his head it Flys ou . Any tips on keeping it in?

15. Drogon

My experience was that the Torbots glue held them in place. My only suggestion would be allowing the Torbots to air out a few minutes so that it gets 'tacky' before attaching the zip tie / molefoam.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Archer

Did you try the Molefoam, or the ziptie method? You need to use the Torbots with the Molefoam. If you can't find the correct type of tape for the Ziptie method, Torbots is also required.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Marianap25

Marianap25 New Member

I tried the zip tie. I couldn't find the glue any where but have finally decided to order it because my puppy finds a way to take down every type of post no matter the tape.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Marianap25

Marianap25 New Member

Sorry one last question, for those of you who used the torbots glue, what's the best way to remove it? Would baby oil do the trick?

19. Drogon

I used either Uni-solve or Telesis Super Solv You can get either or both on Amazon and Torbots too.
    Although the first time I did use olive oil. It worked but it took much more effort.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Archer

The Telesis is what I use. It works better than the Unisolve.

• Like Like x 1