AKC obedience practice today

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
Going to attempt the CD title from AKC, here's our practice today - heeling off leash and recall. Forgive the giggling we are new at taking turns being the judge and making calls and forgetting to make the calls in time... 🙄 😄 I see what I'm pretty sure we'll get dinged for points, but open to critique, as always.

Looking really good you two!! I think your heeling looks great. Now to practice in a new location or with something crazy happening like your friend running through the ring to proof 🤣

Now to practice in a new location or with something crazy happening like your friend running through the ring to proof 🤣
Yeah, this is a regular place, she had a client to meet shortly after we got through, so needed to be in this location. Next week DiSTrACtiOns :wacky:...

Great job! I saw zero hesitation from either of you. Asha is really in tune with you.

In order to pass the heel exercise, what is the correct location for the Dobermans head to be when in heel? Asha looks great…right at the thigh. What if the Doberman was one more head length in front of the outside of the thigh?
During the finishing of the recall exercise, does Asha have to come to front first or can she go straight to the heel position?

what is the correct location for the Dobermans head to be when in heel?
Asha is a bit in front of ideal most of the time. I can't recall exactly, would have to look it up for AKC, but I think the dogs shoulder/wither should be in line with your leg.

Recall is to a front/sit position, then has to stay there until the judge says Finish, meaning they go to heel position and sit. Asha learned a couple of years ago that we would recall, then finish, so took it upon herself to just shortcut to the finish position. I had to totally quit finishing. Recall front, reward really big and release her to a ball or something with no finish tacked on, for months before I got that taken care of! Too smart can be a problem! Thanks for your compliments - working on this is good for both of us, I was pretty bummed when I finally admitted to myself that I couldn't get the IGP down without a more local club. Plan B, so to speak.

Asha is a bit in front of ideal most of the time.
Freyja is too and to me…it’s hard to fault her for it because she feels like she moves forward to protect- Rag was really strong about that.

Recall to front is difficult, Freyja does not come in straight. She comes in kinda cockeyed and then when I correct she goes straight into heel. I did build kinda a small crate to corral her into direct front but she did not like it too much.

How you get Asha to come front so strong and tight?

Have confidence and be content that you two would have been very successful in IGP- just not in the stars…

Freyja does not come in straight. She comes in kinda cockeyed and then when I correct she goes straight into heel. I did build kinda a small crate to corral her into direct front but she did not like it too much.
Train it backwards. Train the front only with no recall for days, weeks, in the living room or kitchen or yard. No recall at all. Say "here" or "come", whatever your word is. Whether straight or crooked, back up a step so she has to come toward you and that should make her straight(er). Back another step, she comes forward and sits, back another step, forward & sit. Food reward at your navel every time she comes forward to you. AKC may ding you for them touching you but I don't care, I want her wanting in my lap when she comes! Asha often stands on my toes, literally, when I'm doing it without recall. Somewhere in her early years when adding the recall to this, she'd come so hard and fast she almost knocked me over several times. I asked on here how to fix it and @Doberman Gang said to yell Siiiitttzzzz when she was about 10 feet from me and that worked - she'd come in with a sliding stop to a sit. Hot damn it was fun training. And speaking of... Where is @Doberman Gang lately? He teaches AKC obedience and would have way better advice than I do. I can only tell you what I did.

That looks great! You two definitely have good team communication.

Freyja is too and to me…it’s hard to fault her for it because she feels like she moves forward to protect- Rag was really strong about that.
Kaiser is the same way too.

Try making a chute with PVC or use a platform that is only wide enough for her to sit on @Ddski5 . Fade the platform to a rug or skinny floor mat. Then remove completely. Make sure to reward from your mouth or if you reward from hand, at your navel with EITHER hand. A lot of them expect reward from only the right hand and aim themselves towards it, thus crooked. This is the same for heeling and forging in the rear. Reward at the hip with the left hand instead of across your body.

Train it backwards. Train the front only with no recall for days, weeks, in the living room or kitchen or yard. No recall at all. Say "here" or "come", whatever your word is. Whether straight or crooked, back up a step so she has to come toward you and that should make her straight(er). Back another step, she comes forward and sits, back another step, forward & sit. Food reward at your navel every time she comes forward to you. AKC may ding you for them touching you but I don't care, I want her wanting in my lap when she comes! Asha often stands on my toes, literally, when I'm doing it without recall. Somewhere in her early years when adding the recall to this, she'd come so hard and fast she almost knocked me over several times. I asked on here how to fix it and @Doberman Gang said to yell Siiiitttzzzz when she was about 10 feet from me and that worked - she'd come in with a sliding stop to a sit. Hot damn it was fun training. And speaking of... Where is @Doberman Gang lately? He teaches AKC obedience and would have way better advice than I do. I can only tell you what I did.
Sorry, j have been prepping for Blazes FH track, we are competing tomorrow.
I have also had a huge amount of new people taking my classes so haven’t had much time. We also just had our fall IGP trial
A few weeks ago.
She looks really good in the videos from what i see. Nice to have someone call out the pattern. When I train it, if o am by myself I always call out the pattern. I also encourage my people to do the same. This cues your dog when the judge calls the pattern to you.
Heel position is correct when the digs left shoulder and front legs are in line with your left leg. In AKC the position is more important than the head position. (Dog does not have to look at you).
As for the straight front that someone asked about. I either use a front box if in the building or to pvc pipes with spikes that I can stick in the ground. I stick them in the ground just outside my right and left toes. Just as the dog comes into front I take one step back where the dog must sit between the two upright polls.

j have been prepping for Blazes FH track, we are competing tomorrow.
I have also had a huge amount of new people taking my classes so haven’t had much time. We also just had our fall IGP trial
A few weeks ago.
Wow, I figured you were busy, but that's a big wheelbarrow full! Give us an update & photos when you get a chance! Good luck on your tracking!

Thanks for the tips, anything helps!

Back