AKC needs to get their priorities straight!

TrinityDobes

Novitiate
Found this article on FB - and I think it has some very valid points - AKC seems to be spending more marketing and promotion dollars on dog asccessories than on its most important product - Pure Bred Dogs.

The AKC needs to stand up and smell the coffee - and do some PR marketing to offset the HSUS and PETA - if all JQPublic sees is what HSUS and PETA puts out there and no opposing evidence - the animal rights peope WIN!!!

I will also leave you with this one other thought - If mutts are so much healthier than purebreds why is over 1/2 of most veterinarian's clients owners with mutts? Its a myth that has been sold to the public, with no push back from the purebred community.

http://www.thedogpress.com/Columns/Branding-dogs-11021_Garcetti.asp

Love those thought provoking articles!

I could not agree more Trinity- There is absolutely NO WAY you can track a mutts parentage to get any kind of longevity picture - it is not recorded anywhere for anyone to track. So we get blamed for all that we do to help and promote good health go figure.

wow, wow, wow wow wow!!! what a great article shadowlands - the writer reminds me a lot of our own D4E!! Great article, and this is also the reason why the UKC shows are gaining and thriving - and not only is the AKC in colusion, its nice to see the kennel clubs being called out as well.

I lurk on some of the doberman show lists, and if most of you knew just how broke (not financial broke - oranization broke) our parent club DPCA is - you would be shocked. Well actually maybe appalled at the lack of leadership and direction is more like it.

Great link Sandy, thanks for posting it.
smile.png

The AKC is supposed to be the experts. I was under the impression that judges were supposed to have qualifications and great knowledge of the breed(s) they are supposed to judge. It seems to me that those that know people are the ones that judge, not the ones that are truly there that know the breed.
That has got to be the saddest thing I have ever heard. The AKC, along with the CKC (the Canadian not continental) have opened up its doors to mix breeds. Like all large organizations, they have forgotten to look inward rather than out to find a solution. Although I don't think it a bad thing to hold events like rally etc for mix breeds, this is not the answer to their financial woes. Fixing the organization itself is the way to go. Fix/alter the methods used to run the place, because obviously it is not running well as it is.

well I have long known that the AKC was a business/corporation like any other... they are far from exempt from corruption and misdeeds that are counter to what people believe that they stand for...
Its always been an "Elite Club" of people who like every other elite club of people has their 'in group' and the 'out group'... there are always exceptions to every rule, but for the most part especially in the "larger number breeds" that there are echelons and classes within classes and it will never change.
I went to the Fiesta Classic last year and sat next to a gal named "Louise Mogler", she is an old time Dobie breeder and a member of the Desert Valley DP Club.. she and her friend were very nice to my husband and Myself and we chatted them up for two days while watching the show. She told us that she knew who was going to win the BOB in the Doberman group for those days and also the very Famous Michelle Santana was there with her entourage of dogs as usual.. so she said of course she would win but she also told me that the head of the breed club had put the Judge up in a very nice hotel for the duration of the show... and that this was of course going to affect the outcome. She said it was common knowledge that Club presidents and upper members will always sport favors onto the judge while they are in town... so I was made aware once again how well known this bribery and special favors treatment is amongst those who are in the circle of circles.
Outsiders just are not going to break in and no matter how fabulous your dog is, you are still not going to win if you do not know the people you need to know and grease the palms of those who need greasing to get far in that world.
Hence I like UKC and also IABCA because you get treated like an equal there, you can win in a show and champion your dog as long as you have competition in at least 4 of your shows.... this is the only reason that Gemma was Championed there in 8 shows... but you get honest critiques from the Judges, you get honest input from fellow exhibitors and you get a fair shake at every show to even go BIS if you work at it and give it your best shot and have a great dog!! Its what AKC used to be a long, long, long time ago! :2cents

And that is why I think it needs to be turned upside down and inside out. Only the AKC can change the way it works. If they change how the judging is handled and put conditions in place, more people may be willing to enter AKC sanctioned events. But those in a position to impliment changes are probably the same ones that know the well known breeders/exhibitors as well, of course as the judges. And around we go on that same merry go round.
The AKC needs some fresh blood within its ranks to make those changes.

That is exactly what is going on... AKC knows whats going on... the Judges are sanctioned by them and the whole business has been rotten for years!! Its nothing new....
so nothing is done, because it is status quo and Quid Pro Quo and always will be! only the ones on the outside wanting to get "in" are bothered by it, those what win are the folks with the big money and the connections and the Old boys club membership anyway.
So who is going to change something that works for the "Powers that be".. perhaps that is really fatalistic and jaded, but that comes with being over 50 I think! :drama:

and this is also why, many breeders of very nice dogs don't have AKC championships on them - they have tried to penetrate the inner sanctum and been rebuffed and ridiculed - its like a very exclusive country club that only old money and lots of it and only the elit few that know the secret handshake can get it. It should come as no suprise that entries are down at the AKC shows - who wants to pay that much money to be insulted time and again. The system is even set up so that only those with deep pocket books and big motor homes can travel the road in search of that illusive last major to finish.

This is why UKC entries are not down, in fact they are experiencing a bit of an upswing - everybody is welcome - and by having owner handlers you do go a long way to leveling the playing field, it is easier to get your championship - but you are encouraged to get your championship and then move up and compete to get your granch championship - and its all attainable with out having to leave your home state, take a judge to dinner, or spend your kids college fund on a handler!

AMEN SISTAH GAIL!!! I mean AFREAKIN-MEN! thats the gospel there folks!
that is why I went UKC with Gemm and will also get her Grand through them and also do the same thing in IABCA...
now I do intend to compete in AKC but ONLY for the sake of Exposing My Russian Redhead to potential people who might want to see the difference and be inspired to want one of these beauties...
I can afford it and I can afford the time to take off, and I know we wont win a thing in that Elitist club, but I do hope to spark interest in her since she is so freakin gorgeous and wherever she goes people stop me and say... that is the most striking doberman I have seen in years! where did you get her?..... so I wink to myself and say... 'Gotcha"! :devil:

Guys you know I agree the system needs to be fixed Here is the challenge - the judges are independent contractors - they are not hired by AKC but trained and approved by AKC. That is how all the big hoop la came about a few years ago when AKC wanted to hold them to an exclusive contact meaning they could not judge for any other club. AKC folded on that one because they did not want to pay them.

Just just like politicians - judges can take kick back (not legal but they can and do) just like the policitians. I would like to see a system where we had score cards and judges had to justify their decisions to a point. If we make a system were we put them on a flat rate to judge regardless then we have dead beat judges just like we have dead beat politicians and government employees who just show up to draw that check.

Wouldn't it be interesting (I know impossible) but to have two or three judges who judge then must come to a unaamous decision and then they have to explain to the audience why they chose they way they did.

If we eliminated professional handlers that could certainly solve a lot of the problem too and they are not associated with AKC at all. Judges and handlers are two of the biggest problems - Judges naturally will favor those who bring them the most entries and let's face it - the professional handlers have their judges that they take entries to and they get taken care of because that is how the judge gets assignments - by making those that pull entries win.

This makes it a hard system for the individual owner to succeed.

D4E - we have discussed this before and you even wrote an article for Canine Chat - I am too lazy to get the link for Dennisove43 - but why can't AKC got to a more european format? the top handlers still walk away with BIS and BOS but everyone else that has a correct dog gets acknowledged and earns legs to a championship?

I have thought that for a long time, and would fully endorse it. On a slightly different direction, I have also thought that all champions, before earning the use of their title should also get at least one leg on a working title for which they were created.

Shadow the problem with that, is that here in the US, working clubs and trainers that will accept dobermans are scarcer than hens teeth. In Europe, dog training is so much more a part of family and social life. Every village has a club, maybe 2 or 3, its convenient and easy to train with very knowledgeable people.

Of course if the AKC had not kicked bite sports out this might have been the case - in VA for instance there are several schutzhund clubs, but none that will accept a dobe no matter how good, and for someone of my age and limited abilities - no club will take me because I can't carry my fair share of the phyiscal responsibilities club member share in maintaining the club. I don't even have any kids I can throw to the wolves to satisfy the work requirement.

HOWEVER, I do think that a beefed up WAE should be a requirement

Shadow this test should be available more often - they are few and far between because I think the DPCA only has 2 evaluators and the WAE as set up today is horribly flawed and inconsistent. It should not be this hard to have a proper temperament test opportunities, not unlike CGC tests

Back