AJ - Barn Hunt Master Dec 03, 2020

obbanner

Hot Topics Subscriber
AJ earned his Barn Hunt Master title. He did it with first place in all five legs.

There were two trials tonight. The first trial, he was busy sniffing the smells of the intact females who were running all day prior to Master (In Barn Hunt, the trials are usually run Instinct, Novice, Open, Senior and Master, with Crazy 8s thrown in usually before Senior. So there were a lot of ladies smells for AJ to discover! He was bred for the first time a month ago, and now he's on the prowl. So we found only one rat before timing out.

The second trial he got his head together and we cleared the course pretty quickly. He's very funny and has the fantastic trait of knowing when he's done. When he found all the rats, he goes to the gate and bumps his lead with his nose!

There's four days of trials this weekend. He's entered again in two trials on Sunday and will go for Championship points.

AJ RATM n High In Class 2020 12 03.jpg

I wish there was something like that around here

If enough people are interested, you can start a group. If it's successful, you can make it a club. There's no restriction on dogs other than health. Large, small, all breeds and mixes of breeds. If your dog likes it, it's a lot of fun.

You can begin doing fun runs, not sanctioned trials. I belonged to a lure coursing group that would do it for fun. We set up the course the night before, then ran dogs all day just for fun.

Everything you need to know is on barnhunt.com. Let me know if I can help. I'm a written test and a seminar away from being a barn hunt judge (it's on hold because of WuFlu).

Update - You really need at least two people because someone has to hide the rats. One of the people with whom I train plans to buy feeder rats and some of us will practice in her barn.

Back