Air scratch

att3

Novitiate
My 5 year old male just started doing an air scratch with his hind right leg. He shifts his weight and scratches the floor. He’s not trying to reach himself. It’s like a nervous twitch. Any thoughts?

I've seen Buddy do that. Not a lot or something I worry about. I actually think he might be trying to scratch a spot that he can't actually reach! lol Like, "Gotta scratch that, ugh, can't reach it, owell!" :)

Welcome from Minnesota!

I think all of ours have done the air scratch, non Dobermans included. I wouldn't worry about it unless there is other odd behavior involved.

I agree. If I ever see Jasper do this ill run him all over whatever side he might be itchy. A lot of times you’ll find the spot he can’t reach and you will know when you do! I have seen Jasper itch the inside of his ear once with his rear paw. So he could have an itch as high as that haha. Sometimes they are too lazy and they won’t look like they are going for an itch.

I agree. If I ever see Jasper do this ill run him all over whatever side he might be itchy. A lot of times you’ll find the spot he can’t reach and you will know when you do! I have seen Jasper itch the inside of his ear once with his rear paw. So he could have an itch as high as that haha. Sometimes they are too lazy and they won’t look like they are going for an itch.

I just realized I typed that I run him over. I meant to write I RUB him all over lmao. Its too late for me to edit the post. But no, don’t run over your dog haha.

Back