1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Agility?

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by NikiL02, Aug 5, 2018.

1. NikiL02

NikiL02 Formerly Nlr02 $ Forum Donor $

I was thinking about starting agility with Nero. I think he would be good at it. He's agile and definitely has some vertical to him. Mostly worried about this lack of recall tbh!
    Anyone else do agility with their dobes?

• Like Like x 2
  2. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

We sure do!! I have a whole thread on our trialing so far!

Rubies first Agility Trial

Is he food or toy motivated? Good recall helps but I don't think it's necessary - if you can keep his attention. Definitely try it; it's so much fun and I've been told by classmates that Rubies focus on me has increased ten fold since we started training. Foundation work can be kiiiind of boring but stick with it and it gets fast and fun!

Edit: I had also NEVER done agility myself so we've learned together and have had a blast!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. NikiL02

He has toys that he likes at home but will do just about anything for food. I will test his food and toy motivation at the dog park.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Notable member

Agility looks like a ton of fun doesn't it?

We haven't done agility yet so this is more of a tip - Rally Obedience, I'm not sure if it's a prerequisite to Agility, but we ended up taking that. I was lured by the tunnels and jumps and somehow got signed up for rally :scratch: Just a warning that it was beyond boring to me and I think most of those tricks can be taught at home. Kaiser spent most of his class time sniffing and laying down bored once he learned the command. If you do end up doing rally see if a working dog club will teach it. I was mortified to learn that had I researched better they teach Rally O in JUST 8 classes vs 8 months of my LIFE at a positive only training place - which turned out to either 24 or 32 classes, I skipped some (a lot actually and we never fell behind) and there were a few breaks for trials. Cost for either facility was fairly comparable.

Now to say something positive :rolleyes: It did help me to build my bond with Kaiser. Not sure it did any good for the marital bond :spit: but I eventually allowed my hb to stop attending classes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. LifeofRubie

Correct - I have not requested nor expected my BF's presence at practice or trials :D He's proud of us but does not want to be dragged along. When we go to a trial that isn't an hour away, he and Moo will come cheer us on for part of the day hahaha

• Like Like x 1
  6. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

We are an agility home

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kaiser2016

It's just better that way ;) Plus it's a lot of time spent when one person has to be a spectator. Anytime Kaiser has learned something new it is exciting to show it off to each other.

With your two pups, I bet each appreciates the one on one time.

8. LifeofRubie

I certainly do! He doesn't understand why I want to spend so much money for classes and then more money for fun runs and then more money and entire days sitting at trials for 'ribbons and titles' :rolleyes: He thought I get one ribbon and be done. Um... turns out Rubie is really good and I have fun! so... no :D I get the argument "why can't our dogs just be pets?" as if competing in something makes them anything else?

vent over!

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Kaiser2016

No more agility people on here? I'm cornered as my new dog club doesn't teach agility and it's what I wanted to do next.

10. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

@LifeofRubie

I get that argument every year with my wife over competitive soccer with my daughters. Competitive soccer vs recreational soccer is a different more expensive beast....

Why can’t they just be girls doing simple things? Why can’t Ragnar just be a house pet?

We all have dreams and expectations. I’m just trying to meet mine.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. NikiL02

Took nero to the dog park, doesnt care about toys. Some good treats on the other hand! Well winner winner chicken dinner!
    Its warm today and he's passed out now. Lol

• Like Like x 4
  12. Kaiser2016

Kaiser ran errands with us in the car. He is totally knocked out now too.

13. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

No matter the activity or sport for humans or animals it is expensive.
    My husband does not get involved in the pups activities but he also doesn’t complain too much when I want to do things with them, like rally, agility, scent work, protection.
    He did say (only once) that the agility may have facilitated Bogie sailing over our fence. I had to remind him that in agility class Bogie would run under the jump if allowed so that argument was a non starter. Bogie jumps the fence because a bird or iguana or rat is in a tree on the other side of the fence and he wants to catch it.
    He acts totally bored with agility class sometimes. Other times he will wow the group with his jumping height. The trainer will set up a special jump for him that is 4.5’ and if motivated he will sail over with a foot to spare. We have to attach the canvas guard to the jump so he doesn’t run under it. Little turd!:D
    Bacall is top notch with agility and scent work.
    Bogie loves lure coursing. If it involves chasing something at top speed, he is all about that. :p
    With Rally they were so bored! They hated it, it was way too slow for them, which is just as well because the trainer did not care for bully breed dogs and berated me for using anything but a flat collar. Prongs, ecollar, chokers were banned. Positive only training for those precious Goldens (her favorite breed). This is the same trainer that allowed both my pups to be attacked in her class by a lab that had been in her class for 9yrs. Hmm...obviously her method of positive only didn’t work on that beast, nor did it get banned from class. It’s been 2yrs and I am still pissed over that!:mad:

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Kaiser2016

Same thing here. I used a prong to arrive to class. His martingale was also on so I would switch him over when class was about to start and remove the prong. She was in such a huff over it. Ya if "it goes against everything we believe in here" then perhaps you should have said that during either of the times that I met up with you with my dog on a prong!

• Agree Agree x 1