1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Aggressive 11 month old! Help!

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by Snifferbiscuits, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Snifferbiscuits

Snifferbiscuits Novitiate

Hi everyone, i have an 11 month old doberman named Linus. He was always snippy as a puppy and he has been through a puppy training class but no matter what we try his aggression seems to be getting worse with age. So much so now we've pretty much had to separate him from the family because hes snapping at my 1 & 4 year old kids. Hes 80 lbs and all muscle so i cant take any risks with him hurting my kids. I dont know what else to do. We're desperate for help but cant afford one of the behavioral issue trainers ive looked into. I dont want to give up on him but this mornong he tore the back of my husbands coat off while he was trying to leave for work. He lunged at me and bit my hand and he is constantly snarling and snapping his teeth at us. If any of you havw any advice PLEASE help! Thank you.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 2
  2. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I don’t know what kind of puppy training or how much Linus has gotten away with in your household but based upon what you posted, it really seems as if Linus is choosing and doing whatever he pleases- I could be wrong and don’t mean any disrespect.

It appears since he was a “snippy puppy” that he has been challenging your authority for a long time now and you have not established your Alpha roles. Do you use a crate with Linus or is he free to go?

If this were me, I would be very disciplined with him and make damn sure I practiced the NILF method (nothing in life is free)- google it. There would be no question in his mind that I am the Alpha and he is to listen to me.

IMHO, if you do not change this dynamic then the situation will not change and prob continue to get worse.

Most Dobermans need/require this Alpha leadership. If not given to them, they assume to be the Alpha and wreak havoc in the household. In this situation, it is the owners fault for not providing the correct disciplinary measures rather than the Dobermans fault for being unruly.

I am not pointing a finger or throwing blame in your direction, just educating if you need to be educated.

Get control, be firm, patient and consistent- can’t treat him like skippy the lazy couch dog.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  3. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I agree with @Ddski5. Linus is running the household. Time to take him down a few notches and get firm but fair and consistent training. He sounds like he is in his crazy doberteens so now is the time to correct his bossy, unacceptable behavior. I would leash him up and tie him to me so you can give an immediate firm correction when he gets stupid. When he has to take every step you take whether he likes it or not, you are teaching him that you are in control, not him. He has to learn the rules are your rules and not his. Reward his good behavior and quickly correct his bad behavior. Give him plenty of mental exercise along with non forced physical exercise. Make him earn everything he gets. Make him sit and wait to be fed and don’t allow him to go to his food bowl and eat until you give the release command. This is an intelligent breed and will learn quickly with consistent training from everyone in the family. Everyone has to be on the same page with his training. He needs to learn he is the bottom of the pack hierarchy, that all family members including the kids are above him.

Keep with it and you will have an amazing 4 legged family member.

Welcome to DCF from Florida and Roatan!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  4. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Agree with the others. Skip the behaviorist as this is a leadership issue.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

Agree with all above. You really need to get some respect from him and this can only be done with firm, consistent training at home. I hope that you aren't being intimidated by him or feeling angry and frustrated, as these dogs pick up on our emotions very quickly. Try to remain unemotional and calm, (hard to do!) You will have to demand that he stop being a pushy, dominant, rude teenager and have some manners, just as you would with a human teenager. Hang in there, it will be worth it!

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

First a medical exam and bloodwork are advised to see if the behavior has an underlined medical cause.

Second, if your dog is biting you, you need a behaviorist. Period. This is not normal behavior for an 11 month old, despite him being spoiled. Reestablishing your authority will help, but if you aren’t knowledgeable on how to train this correctly with behavior modifications he WILL get worse. You will have to determine his tells and train him to direct a different response. If you don’t know how to do this, please don’t attempt it. In situations like these, it’s almost always nature and nuture, meaning it is more than likely in this line’s temperament, but not always. Combination of that plus getting his way for so long are not a good mix. If you don’t nip this in the butt with professional help, you will have a major bite on your hands. Next time it may be your kid. I’m not trying to be a jerk, or say anything hurtful, but this is a very serious issue that can’t be worked out without an experienced person. You may also have to deal with the fact that this may be a permanent issue that won’t be fixed.

Do you have contact with his breeder? If so I would ask about the temperament of their lines to see if this is normal.

Please keep us posted here. I’m sorry you are going through this. It’s a difficult situation to be in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Firestar Dobe

Firestar Dobe $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Welcome from Wisconsin! Sorry to hear of your issues with your Dobe. I agree that he needs to be taught that he is not in charge. He definitely should have a crate, it will help a ton. I'm not sure how much experience you have with a strong, dominant breed. You need to find the correct training facility or trainer to help you. Since this has been building since he was a small pup it will take a lot of patience and consistency to correct these bad behaviors and instill the proper behavior. If you are able to do this, it will be well worth the effort in the long run!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Oak Creek, is that in Milwaukee area?

9. Firestar Dobe

I was wondering if it is the Oak Creek near Milwaukee as well. If it is, I am an Obedience Instructor and would be willing to stop over and possibly help out.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

That is an awesome offer, I was just going to see who might be close.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Firestar Dobe

Actually, it is selfish on my part! I really love to train dogs. There is a ton of satisfaction when you see an untrained dog become a well behaved and adored member of a family! I drive 80 miles round trip to Instruct at my dog club and it's worth every penny of the gas money I spend and the time it takes. I wish I could convince every dog owner to train their dogs! So, yes I want to help, but I would have a super good time doing it!

• Like Like x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1