• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Aggression or being protective?

doberman.lady13

Novitiate
Hey guys I could really use some advice or your take on point of view, so my family and our 1yr old Doberman cooper went out to the park to practice some baseball with the kids, every thing was fine until we spotted a person with a loose dog (husky)
So we didn’t pay much attention to it hoping the dog wouldn’t come near us as he was far away our cooper did notice but didn’t bark or pull, we continued our game till we noticed ok this dog is only getting closer and further away from its owner, the park had a gated in spot at the baseball field where players sit so we took our cooper in their and just as I expected the husky came right to us and ran up to the gate my dog remained calm until the husky got i front of us and he out of no where because super aggressive I mean straight up guard dog mode this went on for a while as the owner of the husky was in no rush to get his dog which was pissing off me and my husband as we had two
Kids and a dog with us it’s irresponsible to have ur dog loose at a baseball park around other people, so we started tell the man to get his dog and he legit didn’t care and got my husband even more mad an I believe cooper fed off that an got him more mad so now a minute has passed and the husky is now showing aggression as well witch at first it didn’t it wasn’t barking or nothing just stand in front of my dogs face kinda taunting him in away so finally the man gets his dog and leaves and I was kinda in shock because iv never seen him like that our cooper is a family dog he’s good on the leash has basic training and great with kids we dose pretty well with ignoring other dogs when we’re out and gets along with family members dogs so I guess my question is was he being to aggressive and I ask this because the husky didn’t really show any aggression towards him it seemed more like he wanted to greet him but I mean I don’t speak dog, or was our Doberman being protective over his pack. Please let me know you intake on this because I really don’t want our boy to be aggressive to other dogs and before this I have not seen this behavior but then again he’s never been put in a situation like this. But thank you for reading :) feel feee to drop your opinion.

PhilT

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
Cooper was just doing his job, protecting his family it's what they were bred for, they are personal protection dogs if he thinks you might be threatened their natural instinct is to protect you, the huskys owner requires to learn how to control his dog in public areas.

Doberman Gang

Hot Topics Subscriber
If the Husky wasn’t showing any aggression then Cooper should have been corrected for acting that way. You are his leaders and if there is a threat or not, you are in charge of the situation abs what is allowable behavior. Cooper was more than likely feeding off of your energy. If you were nervous or concerned about the husky it was transferred to him. He needs to learn to be stable around other dogs not go into defensive mode when he see one. Nervous or fearful dogs can become a big problem. Confident stable dogs will not become aggressive unless there is a threat present. That all being said it is unfortunate that the husky owner didn’t have control of his dog or have it on leash. It is too bad so many people think they can let there dogs just fun loose.

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
at first it didn’t it wasn’t barking or nothing just stand in front of my dogs face kinda taunting him in away s
I agree with the two statements already made, and want to add that many dogs use staring as a threat, and Cooper could have been responding to that husky's stare. If a person or dog stares at my dog I turn her away so she can't stare back. It's a super trigger for some dogs. Since you were safely behind a fence from the loose dog, I would have distracted Cooper so he couldn't interact with the husky. It was very smart of you to take Cooper to a safe place away from the loose dog.

Oh Little Oji

Formerly Tad
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
Hey there!

Sounds like a classic situation where a dog would act aggressive. Ever notice how when you pass a dog that's in a yard behind a fence, or even more so if it's tied out, it usually acts aggressive? (A less confident dog often is more assertive / aggressive when you are walking away than when you are approaching or right in front of it). Dogs feel vulnerable when they're confined and tend to put on aggressive displays. If your Dobe was out and loose with the Husky, he might have just been social or even playful. You did the safe thing, though, as you don't know if the Husky was going to fight.

Ever hear of "fence fighting?" Dogs often act very aggressive and just over the top ferocious from behind a fence.

I love the home video from years ago that shows a few dogs on opposite sides of a gate. They are barking up a storm at each other. Then this gate, which turns out to be an electric gate (like a driveway gate) slides open to the side, leaving the dogs face to face. The dogs get quiet, look at each other for a few seconds, and all just go sort of "meh" and walk away.

Yes, there is also the possible factor of protectiveness over his family.

doberman.lady13

Novitiate
thank you all for your replies, its true i should of tried to correct him better but at the moment i really wasn't expecting the other owner to not care and not act right away so we were distracted and angry by it especially because we had children with us, also being in that small space behind the fence must of triggered some thing because he normally ignores other leased dogs at the park or i can correct him and walk away and he wont fuss about it. i appreciate your comments and advice thank you ❤️

HMKK

Our first dobergirl was very dog-friendly with most dog, except for blue-eyed dogs. The blue-eyed dogs never had a chance to be friendly and I was unable to change her behavior. Your dog may have been similarly triggered by this Husky's blue-eyed stare. Sometimes it is hard to tell what is going on inside their heads.

doberman.lady13

Novitiate
Our first dobergirl was very dog-friendly with most dog, except for blue-eyed dogs. The blue-eyed dogs never had a chance to be friendly and I was unable to change her behavior. Your dog may have been similarly triggered by this Husky's blue-eyed stare. Sometimes it is hard to tell what is going on inside their heads.
Woooo no way thats interesting.