• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Age limit on purchasing a puppy

Pets are like anything else inside your house - YOUR property. We license them and that registers us as owners.

Returning the dog to the breeder is a very nice (but unenforceable) safeguard for an owner IF the owner wants to use the service. Calling it a contract doesn't make it binding.

If you die, chances are your family takes over from there. If you have a will (and everyone should), that should include provisions for your pets if you don't want your family doing whatever they want - which may well include dumping, selling, giving away your pets/belongings. Regardless of will, how much do you trust your family to follow it? What if one of them wants to breed the dog and sell the puppies? Do most BYB know that that's what they are? How will the original breeder find out you died unless they live right next door to you? Even then, how willing are they to sue? Does anyone know of such a situation?

And let's consider the breeders. They're just humans prone to the same things as their buyers. Is the breeders contract with you binding upon THEIR heirs if they die unexpectedly? No way.

It is a piece of paper. Bottom line being money, who will fight and for how long over what is essentially a property dispute between a stranger who got paid for a product they knowingly sold and grieving survivors.
Breeder here with a rehome contract clause. Have you seen a breeder contract? Signed one? Created one? They are a legal document and are indeed legally binding and hold up in court. They have to go through a lawyer and we use lawyers that know this type of law.

I have known several situations where the dog was not returned to the owner and the contract returned the dog to the breeder. The owner was legally bound to the contract and there was legal reprocussions for the owner for not following contract. There was also a recent situation that held up in court after the death of the owner. So it’s not just a piece of paper and yes it does go both ways. The bottom line is not the money. It’s the safety and well being of the dog we bred and chose to sell to them

I don’t think I could ever be a breeder, not because I wouldn’t be capable of doing the research, testing, training and learning from a mentor. It would be because of my lack of trust that someone would take care of the dog as I would.
I fear I become way too emotionally attached and to part with one would be difficult for me without knowing exactly where they will be and how they will be cared for.
I won’t even let my husband walk the dogs by himself for fear something will happen.
My neighbor who is very responsible and a total animal person has asked if she can walk the twins. I hated to decline her request but I did. Unless it’s their trainer they do not get walked by anyone but me and my husband (if we walk together with them.)
She wants to come over tomorrow and let them out to play and potty while I drive to Miami. I said yes, but now have decided to take one with me so she will only have to deal with one pup. I know I will be calling her to see how it went.

I am a total worrier when it comes to my babies. They are everything to me and I can’t handle the thought one might become harmed by someone that isn’t experienced with the breed.
Guess that makes me a bad friend but I am a dobermom first and friend second.

THIS ^^^^ is absolutely true. Most states regard dogs as property and once you buy...it's your to do as you will. My breeder who has an "iron clad", multi page contract written up by a lawyer was basically thrown out by a judge....also depends on the state you live in how animals are classified.
That’s a very rare situation. I have never known a contract that didn’t hold up for a breeder and I have many breeder friends who have legal contracts.

I don’t think I could ever be a breeder, not because I wouldn’t be capable of doing the research, testing and learning from a mentor. It would be because of my lack of trust that someone would take care of the dog as I would.
I fear I become way too emotionally attached and to part with one would be difficult for me without knowing exactly where they will be and how they will be cared for.
I won’t even let my husband walk the dogs by himself for fear something will happen.
My neighbor who is very responsible and a total animal person has asked if she can walk the twins. I hated to decline her request but I did. Unless it’s their trainer they do not get walked by anyone but me and my husband (if we walk together with them.)
She wants to come over tomorrow and let them out to play and potty while I drive to Miami. I said yes, but now have decided to take one with me so she will only have to deal with one pup. I know I will be calling her to see how it went.

I am a total worrier when it comes to my babies. They are everything to me and I can’t handle the thought one might become harmed by someone that isn’t experienced with the breed.
I’m with you Bri. It’s why I don’t travel. You’re not a bad friend...just a good owner. You just have what you feel is the best interet of your dogs at heart. Relinquishing a puppy you bred and raised into the hands of another is much like placing a child up for adoption. There is a sense of loss associated with it. You have to completely trust that person.

Still, even though the parts of the contract that deal with "property rights" in re: the dog might not be enforceable, I'd be wary of other parts of the contract that might still give the breeder the right to sue for "breech" if you attempt to exercise those unenforceable property rights outside of the contract. Make sure your lawyer verifies that the breeder can't do that.
And people wonder why we as breeders are jaded...what if the home where the dog was going to wasn’t safe or even a good fit? Do we not have the right to make sure the animal we bred and are responsible for goes to a good home? This is the whole point for the rehome clause in a contract. Trust goes both ways

I don’t think I could ever be a breeder, not because I wouldn’t be capable of doing the research, testing, training and learning from a mentor. It would be because of my lack of trust that someone would take care of the dog as I would.

I didn't even finish reading your post and only got up to the part about not letting your husband walk the dogs before I was jamming my finger on AGREE. LOL Yeah, that's me too. It's not that I'm better than everybody, It's just I'm a worrier too. And I love my animals and don't really trust anybody with them. :bag: I can never give away litter of puppies. Not For Love or Money. That's why I'm not a breeder.:)

I think that's a great idea. And something I would probably be doing too. If you have to go away, and you have to use somebody, at least make it a little easier. Not easier on them! Easier on me! LOL I would worry too much that she be dealing with two dogs and there might be a problem. I know it would be easier for her to give her whole attention to one dog.

@MyBuddy you would think I was going to be gone for a week with all the instructions I wrote down for her.:p
I am leaving at 6am and hopefully be back home by 3.30pm, so Bogie or Bacall could hold it for that long if necessary but it wouldn’t hurt for Bogie to get some attention while I am gone.:D

@MyBuddy you would think I was going to be gone for a week with all the instructions I wrote down for her.:p
I am leaving at 6am and hopefully be back home by 3.30pm, so Bogie or Bacall could hold it for that long if necessary but it wouldn’t hurt for Bogie to get some attention while I am gone.:D
Lol, I have checklists for my two. They need to be initialed for each day. Plus daily updates via text. No excuses for not knowing what I want.

And people wonder why we as breeders are jaded...what if the home where the dog was going to wasn’t safe or even a good fit? Do we not have the right to make sure the animal we bred and are responsible for goes to a good home? This is the whole point for the rehome clause in a contract. Trust goes both ways

First of all, none of this is directed towards you personally, or any other breeder here on DCF. I hope you understand. :) I'm just simply relaying what strikes my intuition (being someone who never was into pedigree dogs and/or breeding them) as being a bit "unfair" to the buyer/owner of the dog. Once purchased, the owner should be allowed to do with the animal what they please (again, solely within the context of deciding how the dog is cared for (and who cares for it) after the owner passes on or can no longer do so). I mean, why did I pay all those thousands of $$$ only to have to give what I paid for back to the person to whom I paid it? It just doesn't make sense. I also believe that a dog is so much more than "another piece of property." But should we extend the rights of the breeder so far as to be able to reclaim the dog upon the owner's death/disability? Did the owner actually "purchase" the dog from the breeder, or did they simply "license" it? That's a pretty hefty expense for just a "license." And, as stated earlier, to someone who doesn't fully understand why one pays so much fro a pedigree dog, it would probably be a "discouraging" factor and one that might "encourage" more BYBs.

If I, as a breeder, could not be so confident in my choice of buyer that I require such clauses in a contract (or having a contract in general), then perhaps I shouldn't ever be a breeder because I probably would never be satisfied with any potential buyer. I'd have to be able to "let go." Yes, keep tabs... yes try to protect the dog from abuse and require a reclamation if that was ever a factor. But I just can't go so far as to extend that to a full recall if the present owner passes but leaves behind a support mechanism and a succession plan. The dog should stay "all in the owner's family."

But that's just me. :D

Breeder here with a rehome contract clause. Have you seen a breeder contract? Signed one?
Owner here having seen, read, understood, and signed in duplicate two different breeder contracts containing a rehome clause. In addition to my reputably bred Doberman, I also have a reputably bred Russian Blue cat :)

The truth of humans is that you never really know them. Most people don't even know themselves :spit:

All you can do is "believe" that someone willing to pay the price for a well bred animal will also plan for their care.

If you maintain relationships with the people you sell to, then perhaps it's easier to recover a dog from a bad situation. I'm not big on social media but it seems to be a "good news only" kind of platform.

All you can do is "believe" that someone willing to pay the price for a well bred animal will also plan for their care.

Unfortunately, cost is most definitely not a deciding factor. You will see everything from high end dogs to freebies abused and neglected, but youll also see both ends of the spectrum well cared for.

I've never paid top dollar for a dog. I can't. But I've had a few freebies. They all get the same level of care. Actually, my most cost intesive dog was a total freebie.

So it's more about the person. And unfortunately, a LOT of people just suck. It's why I stopped working at the exotic store. I was refusing too many sales which was pissing off my bosses. But I just couldn't in good conscience sell a reticulated python baby (longest species of snake) to some 18 year old who was afraid of getting bit and just wanted to show off. I also wouldn't sell anything to minors, including 'feeders'. I'm a horrible sales person :p

This being said, if an older yet capable person wanted a dog and could emotionally and financially love and support said dog as long as I felt comfortable with the person I wouldn’t mind selling to them. On the opposite spectrum I wouldn’t sell to a minor or a college student until they were stable and could support another life responsibly. Of course there are exceptions to everything.

With me, it’s the person their ability and the situation, not age
^^^^This^^^^^ is what I've heard most of the reputable breeders say too and that is totally fair and protecting everyone; first and foremost the pups, which is the way it should be.

^^^^This^^^^^ is what I've heard most of the reputable breeders say too and that is totally fair and protecting everyone; first and foremost the pups, which is the way it should be.
That’s what I think too. It was great to read this to know some breeders will consider the person, not the age. I know I don’t ever want to be without a Doberman. And if in my 70’s and healthy, fit and more than capable of providing financial, medical, training and healthcare, and love with lots of exercise. I would like to think I would still be considered.
I love and care for all my animals but these pups have my heart.

I think that's a great idea. And something I would probably be doing too. If you have to go away, and you have to use somebody, at least make it a little easier. Not easier on them! Easier on me! LOL I would worry too much that she be dealing with two dogs and there might be a problem. I know it would be easier for her to give her whole attention to one dog.
I was so uneasy about having someone let my dobe out, that I just told my hubs and our friend to just drive my truck up themselves and put it in long term parking so they have a way back instead of me driving back up. I don’t really need the truck while he is gone since I have my Jeep and work truck to use.
It was a relief avoiding that trip. I promptly took my twins to the boat ramp on blimp rd and threw the ball in the water for them to get in some swimming. We stayed there for over an hour and it helped wear them out. Then we went bike riding a little later until the weather got too bad to stay out. It’s been a great day with them, one I wouldn’t have had if I drove them up.
Happy Dobermom today!

Back