1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Age limit on purchasing a puppy

Discussion in 'Doberman Breeders' started by Tropicalbri's, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I am curious if breeders have an age limit of a person wanting to purchase a puppy.

Does the age of a person come into play at all in their screening process of placing a Dobermann puppy?
    I am curious about this since age has a way of creeping up on us. I know many my age and older are still quite capable of raising a Dobermann from the puppy stage.
    Is there a cut off limit or do you find a PC way to decline their request?

• Like Like x 3
  2. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

My age (26-27 at the time) was apparently a big red flag (assumed I was a hooligan who partied all the time?) when I submitted applications for rescuing but I don't think it's been an issue with purchasing a puppy. I was a whole 29 years old though when I got Rubie so *shrugs*

My first Dobe was in a a local SPCA shelter because she was gifted to an elderly person who couldn't deal with her. She was 7 months old. I would hope that activity level and experience would outweigh age.

Haven't dealt with the other side of it, yet, though!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Tropicalbri's

It will come, just don’t rush it. :D

I was 25 when I got my first Doberman.
    Now I am ‘classified’ as a senior citizen.:rofl:

• Funny Funny x 5
  4. Regalis

Regalis Notable member

I've heard of rescues denying based on age (too young or too old). I'm sure *some* breeders do as well. When we went to pick up Kaizer, the guy actually asked me how old I was as he didn't want to sell to a teen! Imagine his surprise to find out I was 28 :rofl:

I mean, I get it. Kinda. A lot of people in my age range are idiots. Scratch that. A lot of people in ALL age ranges are idiots. I had rescues refusing to let me foster or adopt due to my age and having young kids. :wtf: "the dog might knock your toddler down" ... Uh yeah, so? Not like my kids are porcelain. :facepalm: and I already had a big dog! Lol.

So yeah, I'd say it is going to be highly variable. A common theme in local rescues is thinking no one is good enough to adopt. I've known so many people who were turned away for the dumbest reasons. I imagine there are breeders like that, too, though likely not quality ones.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tropicalbri's

My neighbor across the street is 76 and he still goes kitesurfing, paddle boarding and free diving. He can go a lot deeper free diving than I can!
    So this tells me that older age shouldn’t be a denying factor as many of us baby boomers are fighting the age stigma and do workout to stay in great mental and physical condition. Just my opinion, since I am a senior and proud of it. Lol

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Regalis

Regalis Notable member

Age, aside from being a minor or pushing 100, really shouldn't be a factor.

Even young people can randomly die so that excuse always seemed silly to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Tropicalbri's

The twins have caused my hubs to fall quite a few times. They have played Doberman Derby with me too. I have been up close and personal with the ground on a few occasions.

I have learned to NEVER attempt to step out of their way when they are running toward you.:eek:
    They WILL run you over if you move. If you stand still they will go around with millimeters to spare.:rofl:

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Regalis

Regalis Notable member

Right! I made the mistake of moving the other day. Before I even knew what happened I was on my @ss on the driveway. They're actually way better about being gentle with the kids!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Tropicalbri's

I feel like I need to carry a red towel and holler Ole when they come at me.:cool:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

My mom experienced some difficulty in purchasing a puppy about 12 years ago when she would have been 60 years old. She was looking for an English cocker spaniel. Not a dog that I consider too difficult for someone of her age to handle... It's not like she was looking for a Doberman or other real working breed.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Tropicalbri's

60 doesn’t seem old or an incapable age to raise a puppy. Course since I am on the South side of 60, I will rally for the 60 and 60+ raising puppies. :D

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. DD4MSpock

DD4MSpock Hot Topics Subscriber

I'll be watching this subject with interest, as I am 60 and hope to get to a point where I can have a dobie myself. I really hope it's not an issue with breeders.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

If not the breeders, it may even be the owner! :rolleyes: I have had many thoughts on what I may do if I lost my good Buddy. :( Given my age and 3 horses to care for, I admit I am a little hesitant to take on a large dog again. :( And I will never forget when I got my first Doberman and a few years down the line she was telling me that she will never get another cat. (She had 3 at the time) I was confused as to why and she said, "Because they may outlive me!" :wideyed: Oh. Wow. That thought hadn't crossed my mind! Yet. Now it there a lot. Time will tell. :sorry:

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Tropicalbri's

That is my concern. Of course my birds are in my will to go to a family member that loves birds. They live into their 80’s.
    I also have provisions in place for my twins.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Tropicalbri's

I think I might have the bottom of my foot tattooed with:
    EXPIRATION DATE 11/2050 :D

• Funny Funny x 4
  16. Tropicalbri's

Maybe @Archer could give her thoughts since she is a breeder.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

An interesting topic. I will ask mine next time we talk.
    IMO I think breeders could work something out?
    Perhaps a co-ownership?
    I know my breeder has a clause in her contract about the dog only going back to her if I (we) can’t take care of it, for ANY reason. It does not go to a rescue, the pound, your Uncle Joe, etc, only to her! In theory it could go to Uncle Joe, pending the screening any other potential client would.
    Given that, I’d have to suspect she’d deal with an older person??
    Very interesting topic, there are so many variables and “what if’s” in there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Ingrid H

I totally agree but my mom was turned away by some breeders because they were afraid the dog might outlive her.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Ingrid H

I think it depends on the person. If you meet with a breeder face to face and seem like an energetic person who can handle an energetic breed, then age might not be an issue.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Tropicalbri's

That’s an ominous thought process. Many live well beyond sixties. I understand it to a degree but many things happen to young people as well that could prevent them from completion of a dog’s requirements of life.
    I suppose a face to face and documented past experiences with a breed would be a better solution for consideration.
    I guess I just hate the thought I could be denied based on my age. Yikes...getting old ain’t easy. :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1