• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Afraid of the Vet

Cranekc35

Hi Guys! I have an issue. My boy Prince is afraid of the vet. I took him last year for his annual exam, shots, etc. He would hide behind me and wouldn't allow any of the techs to touch him. (big baby 🤣) I stayed calm and neutral - I didn't want to feed into his fear. We tried peanut butter, you name it...he even head butt one of the techs. Needless to say, I had to make another appt where they had to sedate him to get it done. I have been conditioning him with a muzzle since then and bring him to the vet every now and then, just to say hi and get on the scale and leave. During our time in there, he will start looking around frantically and panting hard. He won't even take a high value treat at that point. This happens each time I bring him. I tried bringing him walking around the building just to show him we are doing something else that won't hurt him, but he is still very unsettled wanting to rush back into the car.

With that being said, his annual check up is scheduled for mid July. These are my questions:

1. Does anyone else deal with their Dobie being afraid of the Vet and how have you handled it?
2. Looking for any other ideas to get him more comfortable going?
3. I have been having him wear his muzzle to different places for short periods of time, so he doesn't just associate it with the vet when he goes. On the day of the appt, do I place the muzzle on him for the car ride there or wait until we get to the facility? I feel like he won't let me once he sees where we are. I'm new to the muzzle, so I want to make sure that I am doing right by him with all of this.

Thanks in advance!

Is he actually being aggressive to the point of needing a muzzle? Or are the vet and techs a little apprehensive of the breed? If they are acting fearful in any way, it will make the dog think there is a problem too.

Is he actually being aggressive to the point of needing a muzzle? Or are the vet and techs a little apprehensive of the breed? If they are acting fearful in any way, it will make the dog think there is a problem too.
No, he isn't aggressive at all, but I thought I should do it as a safety precaution. They do seem to act fearful around him.

No, he isn't aggressive at all, but I thought I should do it as a safety precaution.
I would skip that then since it can sometimes make others fearful of them too.
They do seem to act fearful around him.
That's probably the problem right there. We had one vet here who only liked cats or little dogs so she would put a "nose cosy" in her words, meaning a muzzle on bigger dogs before she even gave them a chance. Everyone with a real dog avoided her like the plague since they knew she was scared of dogs. What a stupid profession to get into if you don't like all well behaved animals.

I would skip that then since it can sometimes make others fearful of them too.

That's probably the problem right there. We had one vet here who only liked cats or little dogs so she would put a "nose cosy" in her words, meaning a muzzle on bigger dogs before she even gave them a chance. Everyone with a real dog avoided her like the plague since they knew she was scared of dogs. What a stupid profession to get into if you don't like all well behaved animals.
Thank you!

I agree that muzzles make most people nervous. Try taking your dog to petsmart with a muzzle on. Your guaranteed to come home with a story or two. Haha

I would personally look for a different vet. I’ve seen the spectrum of vets being comfortable with a Doberman. At the vet that spayed Stassi the tech wouldn’t even get her out of the kennel with a muzzle on doped up from the surgery. I’ve also taken her to a vet that has been cropping dobies for 40+ years. I don’t think that guy would flinch if a dog was actually trying to attack him.

Our techs greet Sasha in the waiting room. They pet her and talk to her. The vet greets her by kneeling. Not too close and not hovering over her. All work on her is done while she is on the floor. No messing with a table. No muzzle. She also is a large animal vet and knows how to read her patient. I used to show cattle with her husband many years ago, so she also trusts me. For me, large animal vet for the win.

The vet greets her by kneeling. Not too close and not hovering over her. All work on her is done while she is on the floor.
Mine have been like this too. Kneeling on my dogs floor level and calm, no fear or paranoia at all. Asha distrusts them, but they show no distrust in her and she gives it up.

I agree that large animal vets tend to deal with Jazzie much better than small animal vets. Jazz used to get hyper with nervous excitement and I don't like it if a vet or vets assistant leap to the other side of the room if she moves quickly, and that has happened! My current vet is very good. Just a thought. My vet has let me leave Jazz in their kennel area while I did some chores at times and I know that in small towns sometimes the vets do day boarding. Just wondering how Prince would go if you left him with your vet for a couple of hours to chill and realize that nothing bad was happening. :)

Just wondering how Prince would go if you left him with your vet for a couple of hours to chill and realize that nothing bad was happening. :)
LOL, I had to leave Asha one time at about 5 months old for a couple of hours and when I went back to pick her up I could hear her whine/howling all the way in the front office. No chilling out for her! :bag:

I agree that large animal vets tend to deal with Jazzie much better than small animal vets. Jazz used to get hyper with nervous excitement and I don't like it if a vet or vets assistant leap to the other side of the room if she moves quickly, and that has happened! My current vet is very good. Just a thought. My vet has let me leave Jazz in their kennel area while I did some chores at times and I know that in small towns sometimes the vets do day boarding. Just wondering how Prince would go if you left him with your vet for a couple of hours to chill and realize that nothing bad was happening. :)
Never thought about that. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I really appreciate it. I found a Vet in my area that owns a Doberman and I have a meet and greet appointment with her Thursday. Will let you know how it goes!

Success! Just got back from the new vet! It went great! He allowed her to touch him everywhere and to place the stethoscope on him to listen to his heart! She was AMAZING with him! I was very impressed!

Thanks again everyone!!!:thumbsup:

Success! Just got back from the new vet! It went great! He allowed her to touch him everywhere and to place the stethoscope on him to listen to his heart! She was AMAZING with him! I was very impressed!

Thanks again everyone!!!:thumbsup:
Do you think this was because this vet was confident and calm? I'm sure it makes a HUGE difference to sensitive dogs like Dobes. Great news!

Do you think this was because this vet was confident and calm? I'm sure it makes a HUGE difference to sensitive dogs like Dobes. Great news!
I believe that 100%. This vet sat on the floor right next to him with some peanut butter and waited until he came to her. She really took her time with him. He immediately started to calm down, went to smell her face and then laid down beside her and she began to pet him everywhere. Then introduced the stethoscope to him and he just laid there while she checked his heart. She told me she would make it a point to come see him with a treat if I wanted to bring him by every now and then between appts to help build that trust. She currently owns a 3 year old female. She grew up with Dobermans in the family.

Back