1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

advice on raw feeding ?

Discussion in 'Raw & Home Cooked Diets' started by Ramos.cindy, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Ramos.cindy

Ramos.cindy Jr Member

want to stay feeding my boys raw food is there any advice any one can give me or would you stick to feeding kibble? please give me any advice or options on the matter. I'm looking into raw feeding bc of the benefit it has for my boys. please tell me how you would go on with the process

2. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

Hello, if you're already raw feeding, what specific advice are you looking for? Or do you want to start feeding raw? If you're in Miami, Raw Feeding Miami is a good source to get raw food from. There are a lot of ways to start, if that's what you're looking for advice on. I've been out of the raw game for a while but there are proportions of meat/bones/liver/organs you're supposed to incorporate into the diet, etc. There is definitely a right and wrong way to do it.

Can you perhaps be more specific about what advice you're looking for?

3. Ramos.cindy

Ramos.cindy Jr Member

I want to start raw feeding, kibble is keeping my puppies stool really soft and i really want to try it out

4. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

I would be adding in your puppies diet a Probiotic to help with the stool issue.
    Berte's Ultra Probiotic Powder Beneficial Bacteria (5 lb ...
    Senior Care : Holistic, natural remedies for dogs and cats., Natural nutrition, food and supplemements for dogs, cats and horses.bertes...
    Berte's Ultra Probiotic Powder contains enzymes and digestive aids for dogs that recovering from intestinal stress, or prone to. torsion or bloat. Probiotics replace the friendly flora and fauna in the digestive system needed for proper digestion and to discourage yeast overgrowths in the ears and skin. GUARANTEED ANALYSIS-.

There are some other Raw feeders on this site. I didn't do a switch and start to feed a full Raw diet until our boys were about 2 1/2 yrs old. But that's when I didn't know much about Raw Feeding. Our one boy is now just over 9yrs old.
    There are Raw feeders who start to feed Raw to puppies. Our Female I did start feeding her at 14 weeks old on Honest Kitchen (Dehydrated Raw) and Primal Freeze Dried Raw. Honest Kitchen they have some with meat protein added already. Or they do have a Base Mix where you add a meat protein of your choosing. Because these are pre-made it was very easy. Then when she was 1yr old I switched to Regular Raw Feeding.

When people ask me on how to get started? I always refer them to read some books and join some Facebook Raw Feeding pages.
    FB pages are great for info. There are members on the FB pages that have been feeding Raw for over 20yrs.
    It's not complicated once you get going.
    You have to feed Meat, Bones and Organs! You don't have to serve a balanced diet everyday. But I do within 4-5days.
    The biggest thing is to do a Rotational of different meat proteins!

Some good books to read.

Real Food For Helathy Dogs and Cats Simple Homemade Food By Dr. Karen Becker Good Book!

Raw & Natural Nutrition for Dogs by Lew Olson, PhD Good Book!

A Novice's Guide to Raw Feeding for Dogs by Kimberly Morris Gauthier

• Like Like x 1
  5. strykerdobe

Forgot one more awesome book I have below. Every Raw Feeder Should Have This One. Recipes diets for dogs of all ages from Puppy Formulas (3-6 Weeks Old) and on. Recipes for sick dogs and dogs with specific health issues!

Fresh Food & Ancient Wisdom 2nd Edition
    Preparing Healthy & Balanced Meals For Your Dogs By Ihor John Basko DVM, CVA

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

@strykerdobe - I will go to the suggested names & links you provided as I am interested in this too. I'm dogless right now, but feed my cat a quality canned food in the morning & a raw meal in the evening. He's been on this diet all his life and at 9 1/2 has not needed a dental cleaning. My experience is telling me for a dog 70 or so lbs, this will be incredibly expensive. Have you found a way to make it affordable or do you just bite the bullet? Not meaning to hijack the post, if there is a thread that covers this with lots of detail, let me know. I'm new here, lots to read that I haven't gotten to yet! Do you know of the FB Raw group? Thanks for the helpful info above!

• Like Like x 3
  7. CRDobe

CRDobe Notable member

Lots of info online for raw feeding. You need to do your research because an unbalanced raw diet is even worse than 1 star kibble! I fed raw for almost a year and followed the 80-10-10 formula. I stopped because it was very expensive to do in Central America, meat here is expensive. She had always done great on good kibble, and continues to do so, though now one of her two meals a day is homecooked

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. strykerdobe

That’s great to hear feeding your cat a raw meal once a day.

We feed 2 Dobes. One is 78# and the other is 63#. We probably spend $250-$300 per month.

We do bite the bullet most of the time.
    Also try and search for Raw Food Co-Op Group in your area.
    Looking for deals on meats they are marking down approaching the sell by dates.
    Become friends with farmers, butcher shops.

Some Raw Facebook pages

Raw Feeding And Natural Rearing

Raw Feeding 101 - Learn To Feed Raw

The Raw Feeding Community

Barra's Raw Feeding and Natural Rearing Group

Web
    Raw Feeding Primer: 10 Simple Rules To Get Started

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Thanks so much @strykerdobe - I will explore these links! I've seen some awesome results and I do have the Becker book you listed above, but haven't ordered the supplements to start making the "recipes" she lists. You've supplied a wealth of information here. Thanks again.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  10. strykerdobe

Also other Raw Feeders on this site can chime in for you.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I recommend starting with premade raw. It’s less stressful while you try to figure things out plus you will be able to evaluate how it impacts the poop. For us, it solved the issue of cow pile poops.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. strykerdobe

Premade is how I started to feed Raw.

Then switched over slowly to what we feed today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Yup. Little dry turds vs big sloppy stinkies. Cats on kibble poop like cows & litter box is soooo gross. No more!

That makes the most sense. I'm going to start bookmarking online sources for premade.

• Like Like x 1