Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Advice for Multiple Lipomas

Discussion in 'Senior Dobermans' started by Adame2076, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Adame2076

Adame2076 Novitiate

Hi everyone. I have a doberman that has developed multiple lipomas. We have taken him to the vet multiple times to get them checked and they have recommended to leave them until they become bothersome and need to be removed. We looked into it and received second opinions and vets say the same thing.
    Well he has had a couple that started to grow at rapidly (in his groin area-but hes not uncomfortable) and one (on his chest) that has gotten large enough to finally consider getting removed, one on his neck (its still small) that will need to be removed before it bothers his throat, and about 3 or more small ones here and there(currently slowly growing). He is older.. born april 2007 and has otherwise been a healthy dog.
    So the vets reccomend to leave them because if removed it is uncertain the rate that it/if will grow back and putting him thru an unessecary surgery is not ok. But at this point he has developed so many!! 4 of them that should be removed sooner than later in my opinion (2 groin, 1 throat, 1 chest). The two in the groin are suspected to be lipomas but they reccomend and xray to make sure it hasnt invaded anything before removal.
    My point is, what do you do?! Do you do a full body surgery? but i do t then it gets even bigger and out of control. as of now he dosent seem to be uncomfortable, but hes getting there and probably will sooner than later. He seems happy and is eating well.We were thinking of doing eaither the chest or the ones in the groin just to keep him Comfortable. But it will be soon that we will have to
    Do the other ones cus I cant imagine continuing to leave them as they grow but i cant imagine putting him thru all the surgeries esp w his age. Has any one experienced this or a similar predicament? Any advice? I love my baby but realistically hes older and iono if all those major surgeries will be best for him. The vet says to make the groine ones priority but then the other 3 will need to be taken care of asap. Sorry for rambling i just need some guidance.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  2. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Wow, your Doberman is almost 12 years old!

I’ve got a 2.5 year old so I don’t know much, but I do know that it’s been mentioned in the Senior Dobes section:
    Senior Dobermans

3. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

At his age, I personally would not remove them unless it truly is a last resort (they are causing movement issues, weeping etc.) Surgery and anesthesia can be hard on even a young healthy dog. I would possibly get them aspirated or xrayed to do all I can to double check that they are fatty lipomas before leaving them alone.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Our boy who just turned 9yrs has multiple lipomas also. He has a large one on his side just behind his rib cage. Also several smaller ones in other places. As Rits mentioned if they don’t hinder movement they usually will not remove them.
    And they can come back once removed.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Adame2076

Adame2076 Novitiate

I hear you guys. Unfortunatly, the hard part is longer we wait the bigger surgery its gna be for him. And then our choices at that point are hard . I meAn as of right now theyre gna be MAJOR surgeries as it is.
    Put him thru the surgeries one after another or not. Not just with one, but with 3 at this point. Im not concerned about the smaller ones here and there just the 3 large hanging ones and the smaller one by his throat. Neither seem to be terribly discomforting but its somthing we have to face soon at the rate theyre growing. Im stuck cus i want to take care of them but im not sure if its the best thing for him considering his age and what hes gna have to endure while recovering after 2 major surgeries and one minor one. Or we can put him thru thr surgeries one after another and hope he has a good recovery and the other ones wont grow fast along with the ones were taking out. I dont know.

6. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Yes its better to get the larger ones taken care of at one time. Then knocking them out multiple times.

Its a big decision. If all the pre surgery blood work looks good then its helps with the decision. And of course he has no other major health problems.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

What a tough call. Not sure I would remove them at his age but I would do what you're doing. Talk to lots of owners along with tons of research so I could make the best decision for him. I would think educating yourself on the pros and cons would be key.
    Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Adame2076

Adame2076 Novitiate

I took a better look and i found three on his groin now one large one on each side and a tennis ball size one next to one of them. I dont kno how i missed that one.
    Im sure the larger one on his cheast
    I understood to just let them go until they get bothersome. But my god, they've gotten outta control. well see how a full body surgery looks for him.

9. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Welcome from Minnesota!

Our girl also has several of them and she will be 10 in a couple weeks. Our vet aspirated them and since they're just fatty he didn't recommend removing them either unless it starts hindering her movement. She does need a tooth extraction so I will have the largest one removed at the same time, but otherwise I would have left it alone.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

My vet is fine with lipomas as long as they don't hinder movement. Hans will also be 10 in a few days and has many lumps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

My boy, Max was pickled with lumps and bumps (never too large and each any every lump was looked at by our vet!) in his senior years. Thankfully they never hindered his mobility so were never removed.

It’s a difficult one for sure. My concern would be them growing at such fast rate and causing discomfort. But the larger they get, the bigger the incision and longer the recovery. It’s important to make sure that the need outweighs the risks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Buddy is 11 years old and has many! He just started developing them in the last year or so. While they are unsightly and actually worry me, I am not putting him through surgery at his age for something that is most likely benign and may grow back! That would be maddening! To put him through all that and it comes back! Ugh. I would really be upset then! He is my first Doberman to even make it past 10 years old and my first to develop these lumps. Interesting, huh? :rolleyes: Maybe we're onto something! lol

• Like Like x 4