About ears post cropping

alanmitchell95

I know this has been asked a bunch but i was wondering if somebody could tell me how i know when my dobbies ears are done posting? Like some signs? For reference, my puppys ears stand straight up perfectly when shes alert and at attention, shes 7 months today with a little longer than medium crop and i was thinking today was time to stop posting, ive been posting since i got her and i even posted longer through teething just to make sure they were good... but i was really curious about when shes walking around fast she is putting her ears straight back is that normal? When they are up they dont flop or lean at all... any help us much appreciated! I attached some photos of when shes at attention, one while im scratching her head and thats usually where her ears stay when shes not alert... couldnt get any pictures of the backwards ears while shes running or walking fast though lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    443 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 15
Awww, she's adorable! Nice crop!

7 mo is good for some. You can start testing them as long as she's done teething. Any sign of drooping (inward or outward) post them back up a.s.a.p.

I managed to get a picture of her sleeping without waking her up as well, is this a good shape for when she is relaxed or sleeping?

Attachments

• E4033727-0E69-41D4-8056-6A6C81C89996.jpeg
    E4033727-0E69-41D4-8056-6A6C81C89996.jpeg
    322.4 KB · Views: 9
They look good to me in the sleeping pic.

To answer your earlier question: They certainly can put them down (fold them back/down) at will. This is done for a variety of reasons. You'll learn to tell when they are putting them down with muscle control, or if they are drooping. Hopefully there is no drooping! You are close to done, I'd say!

If you're like me, you'll pull the ears out from under the head if your Dobe is laying on them folded! I do this throughout the Dobe's life, but I'm sure it's not necessary once they're good and standing. I mean, face it, they lay on their ears folded under so much when we are completely unaware of it. It's always been a wonder to me how those ears can withstand that and still stand. Anyway, just a side note.

Last edited:
They're looking really good to me. You could try to test them but if you see any drooping (other than their normal expressive ears) I'd get them right back up.
It looks like a nice crop!

Back