A Peek at How Relevant Bite Sport Is To Actual Protection

Oh Little Oji

Formerly Tad
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
Yeah, knew it. But still fun to watch.

In fairness, apparently the man recently bought the dog. I don't know how bonded they are. But the dog showed zero protective qualities when bite equipment was not present, and it flinched back and did not get aggressive when a blank was shot at its owner by the assertive stranger confronting them.

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
Interesting video, basically looks like they're trying to make fun of their buddy who spend a hefty amount of money for a sport dog. From a training standpoint, Schutzhund & Personal Protection are two different things. The Mal looks like a well trained SchH dog who knew the difference in a "civilian" and a "helper". The GSD was also trained in SchH - he knew to bite the sleeve, not any random place, his young handler had the stance and equipment of having gone to plenty of training classes. The GSD was sharper (sometimes a good thing, sometimes not) meaning taking defense at the civilian with very little prompting. More of a personal protection dog & probably encouraged to be that way. SchH is a sport, and has little to do with being an "attack" dog. The kid with the GSD I hope knows to have good control in any public situation. The guy getting a mail-order "protection" dog from overseas needs some education on what a sport dog is. None of the humans in this video impressed me. :spit:

Doberman Gang

Hot Topics Subscriber
It is all about how the dog is trained from the beginning. If the dog is trained from the beginning with equipment that is what they are triggered. We start puppies from a distance, the decoys come out of hiding looking suspicious and the puppy is allowed to scare them back into hiding. As the dog builds confidence and is barking to scare away the decoy, each bark allows the dog to pull closer to the decoy. Puppies may start at 40 to 50 yards away abs eventually work up to 15-20 feet. How long this takes is determined by each dog’s confidence. Once bite equipment is introduced the dog must trigger on the decoy to access the equipment. If the decoy set the equipment down and walks away the dog must stay focused on the threat or decoy.
This is all taught so the dog focused on the helper in the blind not the sleeve on his arm. That doesn’t mean the dog would actually protect in a real situation. That is more about genetics and training. Many sport dogs are just that, sport dogs. But there are also sport dogs that will do both. Trainers that train the dogs specifically in prey will many times create a dog that is equipment focused and purely barking or guarding for the reward. Another way to combat this problem is using the helper in the blind with puppies. Helper has food hidden the dogs must give focus to the handler while barking and looking in the helpers eyes, this will get the food reward. Again it is taught for the right look in competition. Most dogs will not protect without proper genetics and training. Everyone wants to believe there dog will protect them, but the most they can expect is that their dog will look scary, bark and scare away the bad guy.
The dog on the video was probably an expensive import and the guy got ripped off. That is why I wouldn’t import a dog unless i knew exactly the training and genetic make up of the dog’s pedigree.

Oh Little Oji

Formerly Tad
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
Yeah, Oji is right there with that 2nd dog. LIke all my Dobes so far, he can be made to be suspicious by me even breathing a certain way. He will put on a truly ferocious display.

Now, he has not received the other type of training or experience. So, I imagine if I were to let him off the leash in the midst of acting ferocious at the suspect, he would not bite them automatically. He would probably jump on them and investigate (and unfortunately, if the person did not act aggressive toward him, he would probably fall back on his lifetime experiences and switch into I-like-everybody–I've–been–allowed–to–meet mode.)

What I would like to see if how Oji would react if someone got physical with me. I believe this needs to be done with a stranger, not someone the dog should be expected to accept in the future, so it makes it very difficult to try.